“A very good choice”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ranked #45 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed at the Crown Plaza for one night, due to an early flight the next day. The reception staff were cheerful, friendly and helpful, ensuring we had a taxi both ways to the airport due to it being out of hours for the hotel shuttle bus. The room was excellent in every way and had everything you would need. Would certainly recommend this hotel

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC

Reviewed 18 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel on the 17th of July following the Carlos Santana concert at the LG arena. Upon arriving check in was swift and efficient with all the usual questions asked were we okay with luggage ect this woman was friendly if not slightly impersonal although this is to be expected by a business hotel such as this. As I am a member of the hotel rewards group we were given two free drinks vouchers to be redeemed at the bar which came in handy as drinks are not cheap. Following this we were given our room card and told top floor this was no issue due to the lifts which were clean and spacious upon arriving at our room we saw we were in the Hendrix suite this had not been pre arranged and my boyfriend was ecstatic it made his stay. The room was clean and large although found the fact there was no kettle strange the balcony was a high point of the stay as it was large and overlooked the lake (and buildings works although this was no issue at all) sleep was fine the air con worked yet was slightly noisy nothing to keep you up though. The shower was good and all basic toiletries are there, there is an ice bucket and ice machine in the corridor which was beneficial in this warm weather.

Check out was swift and much more friendly then check in, we then went to have lunch which was very good if not a bit pricy for what you get the only problem I have with this hotel is the bar/food service despite it not being at all busy the two members of staff on struggled I feel this is due to understaffing and the staff having to run both food and bar and having to leave the bar every time someone wishes to order something this could easily be solved through better management of staff or training one plus side to the bar is when the waitress accidentally took my boyfriends drink she brought him a fresh one free of charge.

If not for the bar service this hotel would be faultless and just added to a perfect day.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
David S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Dear Myspacelandlord,

thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

It is great to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the bedroom and facilities to your satisfaction.
I am very sorry that the service in the bar was not up to standard and we will be looking at this issue so that it can be resolved quickly and will not cause any future problems for other guest.

I am looking forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

We arrived and had a speedy check in but when we went to our room the air conditioning was not working properly and it was a very hot day. They moved us to another room and the air conditioning was working. The light bulb above bath needed replacing so it was a rather dark shower I had. We only stayed one night so I told them on check out. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant but it was very hot so they sat us by an open window. The public areas were all rather warm they need to sort out their air conditioning issues. The food was good and service very pleasant. We had a nice breakfast and the dining room was somewhat cooler as it was earlier in the day. The bed was comfortable but sagged in the middle so my husband and I slept as far apart as possible to avoid the saggy middle! The hotel is nice being by the lake and you get complimentary water in the room and good toiletries in bathroom. I would stay again if going to a concert at the LG arena as it is right by the hotel. If they can sort out these issues it would be much better. Staff were all helpful and friendly.

Dear waxyLondon,

thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do apologise about the issues that you had with the air conditioning.
It is also good to hear that you found our staff helpful and friendly and I do hope that you will be staying with us again soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We booked the Crown Plaza NEC through Superbreaks, only to discover that for some reason our booking hadn't come through. I forgot to record her name, but a most helpful Polish member of staff sorted everything out, rewarding us with complimentary drinks and breakfast to compensate for the time we had to spend waiting in reception.

We had no problems with the our air conditioning (thankfully) and the interconnecting rooms were very useful. I'd happily stay here again (at least at superbreak rates).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear G630DW,

thank you for your time and leaving a review.

It is great to hear that our receptionist looked after you and sorted out the problem with the reservation.

I do hope that you will be staying with us again in the future and that you would recommend us to family and friends.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I chose the hotel as had a meeting there, but was paying personally. It was more expensive that some of the surrounding options but am very pleased with the choice. All the staff were great - very friendly and professional, including putting up with my late night / tired checkin and queries.

Bar area was welcoming and professionally staffed, and a Starbucks next to it served well in the morning. Complementary water in the room and good breakfast buffet was appreciated

Would definitely stay again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear JonoFI,

thank you very much for your feedback and I am glad to read to you fully enjoyed your stay with us and that you would stay with us again.

Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

A four star hotel with air con which doesn't work. Room 30c at 4am. When I ask if they can help, bring me a fan which doesn't work!

No sleep ahead of an important meeting. Not impressed so I won't be back. Indifferent attitude from staff on arrival too

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Neil G
David S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Dear Neil G,

thank you for your review regarding your stay.
Please accept my sincere apologies that your recent stay with us was not as pleasant as you expected it to be.

I understand that our Guest Relations Manager Inga contacted you yesterday and spoke with you regarding the issues that you had.

I do hope that you will be staying with us again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We picked this hotel as we were attending a concert at the LG Arena and also flying out early the following morning.

The location is perfect for the arena, just a short walk away. The airport and train station are also close by (just a few minutes in the shuttle bus to the airport, we walked from the train to the hotel).

Check in was very friendly and efficient, the room was excellent, modern and comfortable with good facilities.

However, there were a couple of issues. Firstly, the bar service was terrible. The bar was busy but not especially so, yet there was only 1 barman who seemed unable to take orders. When I eventually got his attention I was told to sit down again and that he would come over to take my order, however this didn't happen, so I left and went to a bar in the NEC complex instead. There were other staff members around but none of them were serving customers in the bar area.

Secondly the check out was considerably less pleasant than the check in, the receptionist on the morning shift did not appear to be particularly interested in dealing with us or assisting our departure.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone who is attending an event at the NEC or in need of accommodation next to the airport. It is good, but some staff members do need some extra training, and in the case of the bar staff I would suggest having them work in a busy city centre pub to see how it should be done! For potentially busy days (such as weekend concerts at the Arena) it may be advisable to have extra staff on duty in the bar.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
David S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Dear Peter G,

thank you for taking the time and leaving your review about your stay on here.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay even though there were some little shortcomings throughout.

I am sorry to hear that the bar service was not up to standard and that the staff was not trained properly and that the receptionist at check out was not friendly.
I have spoken to my team and the line managers and we will be looking at refresher training in customer service.

I do hope you will stay with us again in the future.

David

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#27 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!