“So embarrassed”

Ranked #37 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Derby, United Kingdom
“So embarrassed”
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Wanting to enjoy an event at the nec has booked a room online direct with the hotel on a very favorable bed, breakfast and dinner rate. All was well as we checked in, the room was what you would expect, clean and comfortable, and then we went for our evening meal....The restaurant manager made no reference to our pre paid meal so I asked if we should be choosing from a different menu to be told I didn't have a pre booked evening meal. I fortunately had a copy of my reservation email which I passed over. This was enough for the restaurant manager but not the front of house manager who came to my table to challenge my reservation. I then had to explain to her the wording on the email for her to go away again to double check, again, all this on show in the restaurant whilst her, the restaurant manager and the waiter stood round. Had there been somewhere else to dine I would have left. I was so embarrassed, as was the restaurant manager who agreed I had paid up front. Anyway the duty manager returned to apologise and advise me if I went to see her at the reception she would give me vouchers for free drinks for my inconvenience. The meal would have been nice but left unfinished as for some reason I had no appetite and I never went for my vouchers as it would have been a further embarrassment. Poor customer service and the lack of product knowledge ruined this stay in what is a decent hotel on the nec.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pinkneesliders
David S, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear pinkneesliders,

thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay.

I am very sorry about the embarrassing situation regarding your dinner inclusive rate. I can fully understand that it must have been an awkward situation when the restaurant did not have the correct information regarding your prepaid meal and even more embarrassing that it was all discussed in front of other guests in the restaurant.
My team should have handled the situation differently and should have made sure that you are provided with excellent customer care.
Again, please accept my sincere apologies that this incident has ruined your stay with us and that you did not fully enjoy your stay in our hotel.
I hope you will give us another chance and will stay with us again in future.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Indonesian first
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This hotel is not like it used to be and I think thats why people are now preferring to stay at the adjacent Hilton Metropole. Great for access to the NEC with just a 5 minute walk. Also they seem to be building a complex next door which will house a casino, cinemas and resteraunts expected 2015. Staff at the hotel are more than helpful.

On this occasion, the power to my room had tripped but was fixed within 10 mins. Due to this, I got my parking for free which was a nice touch.

Negatives are price (they hike the price when a Fair or event is held at the NEC), some rooms require a lick of paint as they are now starting to show their age (I have stayed here for the last 7 years).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MrSimondo
Dear MrSimondo,

thank you very much for your review.

It is good to hear that you are a regular guest to our hotel and I do hope that you will be staying with us again in future.

Devon
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We have stayed here many times. This year they seem to have improved things, and not before time. The rooms we've stayed in all seem to have ineffective air conditioning.
They have also done away with the fridges in the rooms, well they are still their but don't work.
When we arrived it was quiet, so no pressure on the reception operative . But we asked at reception for them to booked us into the restaurant for each night of our visit {not a talk ask}.
But when we went to the restaurant at the said time, that hadn't been done for any evening time booked.
The same at breakfast they had no details of our bed and breakfast stay.
Looking on the brighter side the staff at the breakfast, restaurant and bar we've all great and very attentive. So thank you to them all ,you are a credit to this hotel that still has issues in other areas.
The restaurant food was excellent each evening we ate there and the staff we're lovely. They now have a far greater menu choice.
We had breakfast in our room two mornings and this was of a very high standard. We have eaten breakfast in our room in many top hotels and we know how difficult it is to get it right, especially a hot breakfast. All credit here as both breakfasts we're hot and had all we needed to enjoy them.
Thank you room service impressive.

Room Tip: Difficult to say ,all the rooms we have stayed in {5 visits} seem the same except for the view . E...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear ChristopherDDevon,

thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your stay with us.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had brilliant food in our restaurant and also for breakfast.

I am very sorry that your dinner reservations were not passed from the reception team to the restaurant . I will stress to the team how important the communication between departments is to provide excellent customer service.

I hope you will be staying with us again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I thought the food was very good, compared with other 4 star hotels in the area. We were half board and on working out prices of drinks and food at lunch time, we found this a much cheaper option than all inclusive.

Room Tip: One with a Star
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Dawn C,

thank you for your review about your stay with us.

We really appreciate your comments and I hope to see you back again at the hotel soon.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We stayed one night at the Crowne Plaza making the concert experience at the LG Arena very easy as its only a 5 minute walk. The reception staff were very welcoming and efficient and we were booked in without an issue. The room was fine, modern, well equipped and comfortable. We did experience the restaurant for a snack which was of good quality and nicely presented plus went there for drinks after the concert. Breakfast the next morning was excellent with a varied self service hot & cold menu and very attentive staff. All in all a good stay and so much less hassle than driving back late!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear markyb_10,

thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay.

It is brilliant to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Aldwick
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza several times whilst in the area on business and it delivers a consistently good standard. The reception staff are very friendly and efficient, apologising for the fact that I had to wait to check in on my latest visit due to a number of guests arriving at the same time. Too often this happens at large hotels and the customer's wait is completely ignored.

The rooms are very well furnished and equipped and I have always found the food to be of a good standard. My only negative comment would be the excessive charges the hotel make for use of the wi-fi - so many hotels now offer this for free that they need to reconsider their policy in my opinion. It certainly stops me from giving what is otherwise an excellent hotel a top rating.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Richard C
Dear Richard C,

thank you very much for your review.

I am pleased to hear that you a regular guest to our hotel and that you are enjoying your time with us.
I am very sorry about the charge for the wifi, I can fully understand your point and I am very sorry that we are not able to provide complimentary wifi for our guests.

I hope to see you again soon.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Once again we stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, NEC, Birmingham, for one night leaving the car parked in their hotel car park for twentyone nights whilst we flew from Birmingham to Cyprus in January 2014. The booking process was done efficiently and in a very friendly way, the reception staff on arrival were warm and welcoming and eager to please and the room faultless. We decided on a meal in the bar restaurant and it was served speedily and in an attractive style, the food as before was delicious and priced reasonably.

The star of the show though was a lovely young man called Jonathan Jones who greeted us on our return on a wet cold night. He helped my husband load our luggage into the boot of our car even though he was getting rained on himself and he still managed to make us feel we were the most important guests he'd greeted that evening. He had charm and warmth and we hope he goes far, what we liked particularly about Jonathan was that he was genuine and in no way over- bearing or intrusive. He brightened up a nasty old British winter's evening.

Room Tip: Room excellent, large comfy beds, everything you'd need for a night's stay, staff eager to p...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Singaporedreamer
Dear Singaporedreamer,

thank you so much for your time in giving us your feedback about your recent stay with us.
It is great to hear that you fully enjoyed your time with us and that Jonathan provided you with excellent service.
I hope you will be staying with us again soon when you fly out from Birmingham.

David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Genting Hotel
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#20 of 118 in Birmingham
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!