“Good location, but with cleaning issues.”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ranked #44 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 2 March 2014

For visiting the NEC Exibition Center is great, only a 10 minute walk. But I had issues with the cleaning. The room floor was dirty, and the bathroom had a bad smell and was also not very clean. I found several elastics and a pin on the floor carpet and the sofa had dirt on it. If you are thinking on going to the NEC, than I think it's ok. But if not, look where else. And you pay 5 pound an hour for a very slow Internet access. Not a clever solution for business trip's oriented hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
David S, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear Sievert,

thank you very much for your feedback.

I am sorry that the cleanliness of your room was not up to standard and therefore you could not fully enjoy your stay with us.
If you had made our team aware at the time, they would have been more than happy to move you immediately to a different bedroom to make sure you have the standard of service and cleanliness that you expect and pay for.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Over recent weeks, we have booked five meeting rooms and a large number of overnight stays for just one project we are working on. We have dealt with many different hotels.

Even at the booking stage this experience was HORRENDOUS but we ran with the hotel because it was convenient. In Birmingham the Crowne Plaza team sent me a 10 PAGE document loaded with photos and red blocks for me to print out, add information to on three pages & sign, scan and email back. RIDICULOUS!

They then sent me ANOTHER two page form to print, sign, scan and email.

When challenged, and insisting they needed it, the CP team member kindly told me that they were a higher class of hotel than others in the IHG group and therefore had a more rigorous process.

I pointed out that, if that was the case they would be EASIER to deal with than their "lower grade" sister business!

So, having reluctantly gone along with this bureaucracy, I have then been badgered daily, over several days for my clients' credit card details to cover the bedrooms and food ...
... when the hotel already has my details to guarantee them, and ahead of payment for the use of a meeting room.

Eventually, and quite embarassed, I have asked my client to a complete a form for the conference team even though I think it is absolutely unnecessary and VERY POOR customer service.

And when it comes down to the billing … they get the bills the WRONG WAY ROUND and I end up forking out an extra £35 because of their mistake.

The hotel looks nice, a lot of the staff are nice, the food was good but was the MOST EXPENSIVE venue and the POOREST CUSTOMER service. Key culprit is the person who runs the conference services who seemed to think she was doing us a favour by talking to us at all.

I've also pointed out to IHG that there £16.50 a day WiFi charges are a joke as Ibis Budget give you free WiFi, Premier Inn charge £9 a WEEK and any McDonalds or supermarket these days has it for free too.

I will never use this hotel again, and I will think twice before booking any IHG hotel.

Dear Robin N,

thank you very much for your time to give us your feedback.

I am very sorry that you did not have a good experience with us at all and that you feel we are overpriced and did not give good customer service.
We are always aiming at providing excellent customer service and a great experience for our guests.
I am very sorry to hear that you do not want to give us another chance to show you that we are a great hotel and can provide the kind of standard you expect.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed here for a two day conference. Arrived the night before. The advertised shuttle at the railway station didn't materialise but when phoned, the hotel sent a complimentary taxi which was much appreciated. My colleague was told at check in that her room wasn't ready - at 7pm at night? This was quickly resolved. My room was a good size with a nice bathroom with an easy shower and some toiletries. There was no in room guide so had no details of breakfast/ check out although in hindsight I could perhaps have found this info on the TV. Dinner was of a good quality. The bed was very comfortable.
Next morning after my walk round the lake, I couldn't find the hairdryer but a colleague had discovered one in her room after some exploring, under a fold away top on the desk. Unfortunately mine only blew out lukewarm air and I got the shock of my life when the chair I was sitting on suddenly snapped forward, wedging me against the desk. Luckily I could see the funny side.
The conference facilities were first rate and the refreshments available were very good as was the conference dinner. The price of drinks was ridiculously high. Two glasses of wine only gave you a few pounds change from a twenty pound note. It is a pretty nice hotel but one of the most expensive hotels I have stayed at on business, even in London. Perhaps the majority of their guests are there on expenses and so they can charge these extortionate rates and prices? The wifi wasn't even included which was really surprising as even Travelodges offer this free in public areas now.

Room Tip: Ask for a room well away from the building works next door as the work goes on from 7am well into th...

Dear gladysScotland,

thank you very much for your feedback.

I am very sorry that you did not fully enjoy your time with us and that you encountered a few issues at check in.

I hope you will stay with us again in future when you are in the area.

Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

We were visiting moda '14. The room was clean, the bar food was nice an ideal business trip hotel. There was a mix up with our booking and I must say that a very pleasant receptionist by the name of Raja went out of his way to help us out. If I was to fault anything about the hotel it would be the breakfast undercooked sausages and the buffet was cold, but in general a pleasant stay with top class staff.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
David S, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Suzy-shoes66,

thank you for your feedback regarding your stay.

I am pleased to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay with us and that Raj went out of his way to sort the issue with the reservation.

I dope you will be staying with us again in future.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

The room for conference I attended was awful, glasses weren't replenished during the day and the evening meal was so awful and inedible that it had to be sent back to the kitchen. The breakfast was very poor. On the plus side the staff were friendly and helpful.
My bedroom was not clean (there were crisps on the floor in the bathroom??) and loads of dead flies on the window sill.
No free wifi. I won't be returning here!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
David S, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Hyacinth_Bucket_Jnr,

thank you very much for your feedback and I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I really appreciate your feedback and I will be speaking to the relevant departments so that we can make improvements on dinner, breakfast and housekeeping.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

No one would choose to be at the NEC unless they had a Show to go to/conference/business meeting/etc... but assuming you need to be there, the Crowne Plaza is a good option. It is modern, clean and stylish. The bar is nice as is the restaurant, the views over the lake are pleasant and the staff are noticeably helpful. It is at the pricier end of hotels in the vicinity, but for convenience and comfort it's hard to beat.

Room Tip: There is building work at the NEC end of the hotel, so try to get a room at the other end of the hot...

Dear j5183v,

thank you for your review.

I am glad that you had a good stay with us and that you find our staff helpful.

I hope you will stay with us again when you are in the NEC area.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed here with a colleague to visit Moda at the NEC. We were greeted by a very friendly doorman and check-in was quick and efficient. Room was large and nicely furnished with a nice bathroom. Shower easy to use and powerful, just what was required at the end of a hectic day. The room was quite warm when we arrived, but the air-con soon cooled it down nicely. It's the quietest air-con I've ever come across. Bed was very comfortable and I loved the magnifying mirror in the bathroom - makes a nice change to be able to put on make-up in a good light. Breakfast was excellent with a good choice of fresh fruit and freshly cooked full English. Staff were all very friendly and efficient

Dear awen_richards,

thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay with us and I hope you will return to us for a visit soon.

David

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#25 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!