“Great Business Base” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #37 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Great Business Base”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Stayed for the period of an exhibition at the NEC. The staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are well looked after. A couple of gripes I would share though. The first is the cost of the breakfast which at £15 is extraordinary. If you can get a rate that includes it that is reasonable book it rather than pay separately. The second is the position. If you are attending an exhibition in halls 18, 19 or 20 be aware that there is a twenty minute walk to them which at the end of a long day on an exhibition stand is a chore. Other than that great place as a business base.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
David S, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Colin S,

thank you very much for your online review.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope you will be back with us again soon.

Kind regards,

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Indonesian first
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed here last week whilst at a conference. The hotel is so accessible to the convention center and they have a shuttle bus if you need it.
Check in was lovely with a very friendly front officer manager a little slow due to the system but she did her best with it. I noticed there is not great communication between reservations and front office. I had a few problems with reservations which was a little stressful.
The rooms where lovely and they even had a little sleep set on my pillow. A little lavender pillow spray and lavender oil to help you sleep. Such a nice touch...
I ate in the bar, the food was nice for hotel food and staff where super friendly.
I did not have breakfast but check out was quick and shuttle bus that morning was brilliant.
The staff and management make this hotel and you can tell they really pay attention to the little things.
Good job!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
David S, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear lilywhite77,

thank you very much for your positive review regarding your stay.

I am very pleased to hear that you fully enjoyed your time with us and I hope you will be staying with us again in future.

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Booked into this hotel at very short notice when our booking at the Old Barn Coleshill went pear-shaped.

Very friendly staff. Room was clean and comfortable. As a caution, I would advise visitors to this hotel to check their bill carefully. They tried to charge for our stay after it had already been paid to lastminute.com, although they were more than happy to rectify their error! After they had re-calculated our bill, they were supposed to waive the parking fee, but we ended up eventually being charged for this as well. Would we go back? Probably - but would make sure we had an all inclusive price for accommodation and breakfast first.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear jenziebobbs,

thank you very much for your review.

I am sorry that there was some confusion regarding your bill on check out, however, I am happy to hear that you would stay with us again in future.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

We visited this hotel for a meal and drinks whist our daughters were attending a concert across at the arena. The restaurant and its staff were great and we had a lovely meal. We had rung through a few days earlier to ask if we could have a meal and park on the hotel carpark, for this purpose, and we were told that it was fine as we were eating there and that there would be no charges for parking for that reason. After spending approx £80 in the restaurant and bar, we headed to reception to get our car park pass (as advised by the restaurant manager)..but alas the great service ended there.. the surly and frankly uppety girl on reception made a huge deal about it not being allowed and we should be paying for parking if we are not residents! When I made the point that the restaurant manager had ok'd it she said that he shouldn't and he has no right to!! ooh, get you Miss Crowne Plaza!!... Anyway, she eventually validated our card all be it, reluctantly... I decided to send an email to the Hotel with regard to this incident, to which I recieved no response!...so lets just say, go elsewhere to entertain yourself if killing time near the O2 arena, there are loads of restaurants a short drive away, where I'm sure your business would be appreciated. (shame really as the food was excellent)...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear nanarrr,

thank you very much for your time to write a review of your recent visit to the hotel.

I am very sorry to hear that a lovely evening was spoilt by the behaviour of one of the receptionists.
In general we do charge car parking for residents and non residents and I am sorry that you were given the wrong information.
However, as the restaurant manager agreed for you to have free car parking, our receptionist should have taking that into account and should have given you a car parking ticket to leave free of charge.
Again, please accept my sincere apologies that our staff did not give you the standard of customer service that you should receive.

esher
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Very nice hotel, we had gone to the NEC to see a show, i walked into the room and said lets not bother with the show lets stay her, we went to the show which was 5 minutes walk from the hotel. Would stay again.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Dear heavyhorse,

thank you very much for your positive review.

I am pleased that you had a very nice stay with us and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed one night at the hotel while visiting the NEC on business. The hotel is close to Birmingham International Station and the NEC which is handy. The hotel will also send their courtesy car to pick you up from the station, but you can't arrange a pickup before hand, you need to call when you arrive and wait for the car - not too bad, but you may as well just jump into a cab.

Checkin was quick and efficient. The room was your standard business room, it was clean and a good size. The bed was very comfortable and the room is equipped with a large TV with a small number of free view channels (why not more and why not a movie channel thrown in), a kettle with a few sachets of coffee and tea and hot chocolate. You also get two free bottles of water and a couple of complimentary chocolates. The bathroom amenities are reasonable and the shower (over the bath) was quite good with a good pressure. I had an early morning wake up call, which was from a real person, who sensed my distress and asked if I wanted another call in 10 minutes - I liked that personal touch!

I didn't have time for breakfast, but grabbed an apple from the reception desk on my way out - the apple was good! I appreciate these little touches at a business hotel.

My complaints with my room was lack of free wifi - I really don't know why UK hotels don't give you free wifi, especially at a business hotel and the room was far too hot. I tried turning the heat down with the thermostat, but nothing I did seemed to do the trick. I mentioned this on check out and was told if it happens again to call down to the desk and they would sort it out - I really believe that they would have too.

Would I stay here again, yes, I think I would if I was attending the NEC again.

Dear Edwin G,

thank you very much for your time to leave a review about your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that think we are a good business hotel.

I am very sorry that you were having difficulties with your room as it was too hot.

I hope you will be staying with us again in future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

We stayed here last year & although the stay was okay, we did have to complain regarding the food in the restaurant amongst a few other bits & pieces, staff ect..
This year things were much different, the check in was efficient & the lady on reception was very friendly. We had arrived very early, around 12pm & our room wasn't ready until about 3.15pm but this wasn't a problem as we had a drink in the bar & also walked over to the NEC to have a bite to eat & a drink there. Room was very clean, as it was the last time we stayed, plenty of space & all amenties you would need for a long weekend stay. We had dinner in the bar this year, really nice bar snacks, sandwiches ect... and fairly reasonably priced considering. The drinks are on the pricey side but no different to any other city centre hotels, airports or establishents in a location such as this. Breakfast was great both mornings, really varied buffet, great service & food! Location is fantastic from the motorway, plenty of parking & within 10minutes walking distance to NEC, train station, airport.. Checkout was effeicient, we received our papers each morning , so all in all i would recomment this hotel! And we would stay here again based on our latest stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Lish04,

thank you very much for your positive feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us this time and that you would recommend us and come and stay with us again.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ibis Birmingham Airport
Ibis Birmingham Airport
#19 of 117 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,709 reviews

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!