“Can't say enough about this hotel”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ranked #44 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
“Can't say enough about this hotel”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

From our arrival to exit, the staff were polite, friendly, welcoming and couldn't do enough to ensure our stay was perfect! The staff are an absolute asset to this hotel and we were really impressed.

Unlike some hotel restaurants the food was also impressive. The bar menu was vast and reasonably priced. Again the bar staff couldn't do enough for us.

Would 100% recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed April 2014
David S, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear 20Sara08,

thank you very much for your feedback and I am very pleased to hear that you had a brilliant time with us.

I hope you will be staying with us again soon.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Indonesian first
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Last time I reviewed the CP, I believe I said it was second only to Marriott. I now realise what a distance there is between first and second. I usually book via my company's booking agent, and thus get a reduced rate. This time, I was forced to book independently, and thus generated a personal learning opportunity.

The first problem was CP's booking website. Everywhere else that I book, if the stay is for more than one night, the site tells me the total cost. CP, however, quoted an average room rate, only saying as much in smaller text that I noticed far too late - meaning that I paid twice as much as I thought I was going to. Not deliberate, I'm sure, but it shows a lack of awareness that there is competition out there and that other people do it better.

The rooms are still fairly good, albeit feeling dated, but the heater in mine was less than effective - your mileage may vary - and the absolutely massive building that's going up next door is unlikely to be a view you'll want to see. If you like seeing tower cranes hoisting stuff, around, however, book now. Also, I'm pretty sure I booked a double room, not the twin room that I got, but I can't confirm that as I was never sent an email confirmation of the booking - another issue with their booking site.

Checkout was an eye-opener - yet another hotel that charges for the car park. I realise they're on the NEC site and need to keep out vagrants but, having just paid £150 per night for a room, to be landed with another £10 per night charge for parking left me breathless. Tesco don't charge their customers for the use of their car park: neither should CP. On the same invoice were two £1 "charitable donations" - it's a pity it's now too late to find out whether I'm sponsoring the Taliban somewhere. The donation included VAT; however, as no good or service was supplied to me, should not have done.

All in all, an experience that reminds me of the slogan, "We know you have a choice": thankfully, I do. Goodbye, CP.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear MikeMayUK,

thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay with us.

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us this time and that you encountered a number of issues.
I appreciate your feedback and we will be looking into the issues you mentioned so that we can improve our customer service.

England
Reviewed 11 April 2014

The room was nice but then £194 for one night is not cheap. Found the open plan reception and eateries a little impersonal but it was clean and modern looking. Lifts were excellent. Slept well despite the hard pillow. Breakfast was a bit chaotic due to lack of staff. Couldn't find a clean unused table as nobody at entrance to check us in. Staff seemed over stretched but they were cheerful and polite nonetheless.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ThomasEngland,

thank you very much for your feedback about your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that you encountered a few issues during your stay with us but that you found our staff lovely.

I hope you will stay with us again in future.

Vaxjo, Sweden
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The hotel did not meet my expectations. I attended NEC for a exhibition and since the hotel was close we choosed to stay there. Surprisingly the wifi cost extra at the hotel, not used to that.
My room was big, a double room with a bed sofa. Only one person staying in the room, why were the sofa made into a bed?? Nowhere to put my suitcase and suddenly not very much space..

Later, our company had dinner in the bar area. Very, very noisy. Since the people there had to drown out the music they played in the bar.
Tasteless food.
But the real problem came when we were paying. As we also discovered back home when we checked the withdrawals at our account which didn´t match the costs of what we ate and drank. The personal serving our table charged us wrongly. I pointed this out for the management in a couple of mails. Got "we are sorry".... Well, not impressed by that either... If I ever go back to Birmingham I will choose a different hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Plommis,

thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
We appreciate your feedback and it will help our team to improve the service we provide to our guests.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed here last Saturday night to attend an Elbow concert. Coming in off the M42 was really easy, J5, and follow the signs for the NEC and the hotel is right in front of you. Parking aplenty, we arrived 30mins before check-in at 2pm and we were given our room keys without any problems. Room faced the motorway but this did not disturb us as the windows are very well insulated. Nice room, nice little extras like bottled water and bathroom essentials. Bar was spacious, bar food was nice if not a bit pricey but this was our weekend away without kids so we weren't too bothered about prices. Friendly staff directed us towards the exit to use for the LG arena (bar door), and we were there in 3 mins on foot and in heels. Obviously depending on which arena you are in and your entry point, this will differ. Worthy to note, we had booked "Amplify Hospitality" and the hotel couldn't be situated better for the entrance to the hospitality restaurants. This hotel is a popular choice for concert goers and the bar was heaving when we got back- a good atmosphere but we decided to head up as we are now lightweights. Check-out was straight forward, hefty bar bill for the food and drinks the previous day and it is at this point we were told that the hotel was 90% full with concert goers and there had been problems at check-in due to the volume of people arriving at the same time. I would suggest you try and check-in early like we did.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Julie H
Dear Julie H,

thank you very much for your feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your kid's free weekend with us and that you had a good time.
I hope you will be staying with us again in future.

Lancashire, England
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed here whilst at a work conference. Rooms felt a little dated but very good size with settee area. Perfect location for any NEC conferences.
Parking charges confused me as £10 was added to my bill automatically for parking but higher prices were displayed in car park so not clear but happy with the lower charge.
Ate in hotel bar which was a good size and burger and chips were fine, what you'd expect from a hotel bar. Also used some of the meeting areas which were a good size and had all facilities needed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear saraht2,

thank you very much for your feedback.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am sorry that the car parking charges were a bit confusing. We do have a reduced rate for car parking for residents and for conference delegates.

I hope you will be staying with us again soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

If you're visiting the NEC or LG Arena, this hotel is in a perfect location. A short (4-5 mins) walk around a lovely lake will deliver you to either location. It's under 10 minutes walk from the railway station (through the NEC, well signposted), and I'd guess at well under 15 mins from the airport. Timed right, you can probably make Birmingham New Street in about 20 minutes by walk+train, if you really wanted to!

Hotel wise, it's a nice hotel, everything you'd hope for in a new-ish Crowne Plaza. Decent sized rooms, good furnishings, large + comfy beds, well layed out rooms, nice bathrooms, generally well done. Staff here are excellent, very friendly and helpful. We had one minor little problem, and they were amazing at getting it all sorted + going out of their way to offer an alternative. Couldn't have asked for more.

The only problem is with food + drink. Neither are cheap here, but for a nice Crowne Plaza that's nothing unusual. The problem is that they don't hold up. Both are decidely average, and hence bad value. This is not a Crowne Plaza trying for excellent food and drink offerings (as many out there do, Lille or Kowloon East being two which spring to mind). It seems to be somewhere assuming it has a captive market (which it doesn't really - there's several options in the NEC a 5 min walk away, or there's a Hilton sub 10 mins walk), and overcharging. If the cost had been half, and I'd been at a Holiday Inn or similar, I'd have been perfectly happy. In a CP, with those prices, I was miffed. It's not actually a rip off, just bad value, and a shame given how well the rest of the hotel works.

If you're in the area, the hotel is good, especially if you can get a decent rate on a weekend. Just skip the food and drink offerings here, and take a nice walk round the lake to get something either better or cheaper, whichever you fancy!

Room Tip: Try for a view over the lake