“Perfect location, poor customer service”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ranked #44 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Perfect location, poor customer service”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I booked this trip six months ago for me and my partner having bought tickets for a concert at the LG. It was a convenient location and as a birthday treat booked the suite with a separate living area. On arrival we were sent to a room that was a standard room and on return to reception were told that they had given our room away to someone else two days previously, and we had now been moved to a standard room but could have free breakfast. Breakfast did not even cover the amount that we would have paid extra for the suite and therefore a completely unacceptable form of compensation. After telling us he was the manager we were finally greeted by an actual manager who offered a refund but could not give us the room we had booked; a refund was quite obviously expected as we had paid for something we had not been given.
The staff at this hotel tried to talk their way out of the problem and made out that they were doing us a favour by giving us our money back. Having since been told that the member of staff that had told us he was the manager in charge, wore a 'supervisor' badge and completely led us on and let us go to a room he knew was not what we had booked, was apparently new and that was all the apology we received on the matter.
This company very clearly has it's favourite repeat customers and if you are not seen as someone that will return they are not bothered about how they treat you. It is a shame due to the brilliant location, but with the Hilton on the other side of the lake I would recommend them to make you feel wanted and valued rather than just another person to fill a room (the incorrect room at that).

Room Tip: Don't book and pay for the suite - you will be given a standard room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chloe S
David S, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Chloe S,

thank you for your review and I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I fully understand that it is a frustrating experience when you have booked a certain room type and it is not available when you arrive and that an incident like that ruins the whole stay.
I know that our staff tried to rectify the issue by giving you a full refund for the mistake and the inconvenience and I am sorry if you were still not happy with the actions that were taken.

I do hope you will give us another chance when you are next in the area.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Indonesian first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night, myself and two friends. Staff where amazing and went out there way to help us. On arrival at the train station they sent a complimentary taxi and did the same for our return trip the next day. Would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to staying here agin in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
David S, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Linda C,

thank you very much for your review.

I am very pleased to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay with us and I am looking forward to welcoming you to the hotel again soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Chose this hotel purely for location as was attending a concert at the LG. It's a 5min walk max. and 10mins max. across from the NEC. Perfect location if you need to stay over to attend either of these places. We booked a Queen room and was relatively nice. It wasn't amazing or as great as I was expecting for the price we paid, BUT, we were there during a concert night and rates are always raised then, so that was to be expected. The room was pretty clean, it appeared a little worn though. Some cobwebs and dust, definitely wasn't thoroughly cleaned before our arrival. The desk chair also appeared stained. This isn't really a complaint, just an observation for the hotel to attend to. We're not complainers so overlooked this, but there's extremely picky people out there that would make something extreme of those things. The bed however is one of the comfiest I've slept in, really nice! The bathroom was nice too. Robes were provided, we didn't use them but was a nice touch. The bathroom has a vanity mirror which was great to see! (only women will really be happy to know this!)

The only major downfall is all the added extras. Wi-fi is chargeable, I'm not 100% sure how much, but I think this is always an annoyance to hotel travelers these days. The price for breakfast added on was a bit pricey too. When you're paying a good rate for a room, to then pay extra for breakfast is slightly off putting. There is a Whetherspoons in the NEC if you prefer BUT, that place isn't as cheap as standard Whetherspoon bars. We ate there for dinner before the concert and the food wasn't really that great either. So we decided to just pay for breakfast, as Spoons wasn't really a great option in our opinion. Despite the price we were really glad we did have it in the end. It was very nice and had everything on offer. The breakfast room/restaurant is one of the nicest I've seen in hotels, quite large and nicely spaced out. You didn't feel on top of anyone like you do in many restaurants.

Now the major plus of this hotel besides the location is the staff. Every staff member we encountered was lovely. We came back late after the concert and a lady called Laura, I believe, helped us out with a query. It was very rushed in the hotel at the time and she was very helpful. The breakfast staff were also very pleasant and attentive! Always smiling and helpful. I completely agree with other reviews in the fact the staff are a major part of what makes this hotel so pleasant. Well done!

If I ever attend another event in Birmingham I will definitely use this hotel again. My only reason for not giving it a full 5/5 is due to minor things like the extra charges and the slight worn out appearance of the room. Other than that, it was a lovely stay, no complaints!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear jtchktrvl,

thank you very much for your detailed and positive feedback regarding your stay with us.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our staff were very attentive and helpful.

I hope you will be staying with us again in future.

Portsmouth
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My Daughter and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza because I'd gotten, what I considered to be a good price and at a fantastic location for going to the LG Arena.

I'd booked the room in December through Last Minute Travel for £65.85 (breakfast included), a very good price for being just a 5 minute walk to the arena and once the concert had finished there was no queuing anywhere, we just walked back to the hotel - an absolute breeze.

Check in and Check out were hassle free, the reception staff were polite and helpful.

The room was clean and comfortable, the shower is great.

The breakfast was plentiful with numerous things to choose from, although , the bacon wasn't cooked enough for me, so couldn't eat it - having said that, I'm sure if I'd asked, the kitchen staff would have cooked it a little more. The waiting staff were attentive and pleasant.

I didn't have to pay for parking because as I was staying at the hotel I was given a ticket to put into the machine at the car park barrier.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Involved in organising a day conference here - very helpful staff, good service and reasonable prices. Staff went the extra mile for delegates that needed special foods. Hotel otherwise good in terms of rooms and facilities

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

From our arrival to exit, the staff were polite, friendly, welcoming and couldn't do enough to ensure our stay was perfect! The staff are an absolute asset to this hotel and we were really impressed.

Unlike some hotel restaurants the food was also impressive. The bar menu was vast and reasonably priced. Again the bar staff couldn't do enough for us.

Would 100% recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear 20Sara08,

thank you very much for your feedback and I am very pleased to hear that you had a brilliant time with us.

I hope you will be staying with us again soon.

Worksop, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Last time I reviewed the CP, I believe I said it was second only to Marriott. I now realise what a distance there is between first and second. I usually book via my company's booking agent, and thus get a reduced rate. This time, I was forced to book independently, and thus generated a personal learning opportunity.

The first problem was CP's booking website. Everywhere else that I book, if the stay is for more than one night, the site tells me the total cost. CP, however, quoted an average room rate, only saying as much in smaller text that I noticed far too late - meaning that I paid twice as much as I thought I was going to. Not deliberate, I'm sure, but it shows a lack of awareness that there is competition out there and that other people do it better.

The rooms are still fairly good, albeit feeling dated, but the heater in mine was less than effective - your mileage may vary - and the absolutely massive building that's going up next door is unlikely to be a view you'll want to see. If you like seeing tower cranes hoisting stuff, around, however, book now. Also, I'm pretty sure I booked a double room, not the twin room that I got, but I can't confirm that as I was never sent an email confirmation of the booking - another issue with their booking site.

Checkout was an eye-opener - yet another hotel that charges for the car park. I realise they're on the NEC site and need to keep out vagrants but, having just paid £150 per night for a room, to be landed with another £10 per night charge for parking left me breathless. Tesco don't charge their customers for the use of their car park: neither should CP. On the same invoice were two £1 "charitable donations" - it's a pity it's now too late to find out whether I'm sponsoring the Taliban somewhere. The donation included VAT; however, as no good or service was supplied to me, should not have done.

All in all, an experience that reminds me of the slogan, "We know you have a choice": thankfully, I do. Goodbye, CP.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear MikeMayUK,

thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay with us.

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us this time and that you encountered a number of issues.
I appreciate your feedback and we will be looking into the issues you mentioned so that we can improve our customer service.

David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#24 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!