“Great parking”

Ranked #44 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great parking”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

this hotel is in great location to the LG Arena for shows and it is beside the new Resorts Worlds Casino, great rooms and great bar. this is a great place to get away for couples to get away or for biz trips

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
SteelDavid, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you very much for your positive feedback.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We booked for a holiday stop over before our flight and to leave our car whilst away.

The service was amazing, very pleasant staff, took an interest in us and what/where our vacation was and about our stay.

The bar food was excellent, really enjoyed the food and it was a nice atmosphere and seemed busy but steady. Again, service was SPOT ON!

Shuttle to airport, nice and the driver was a lovely fella!

Parking worked well for over 2 weeks all included and they sorted us a taxi back after our holiday as the shuttle wasn't running. They even rang me back to say a taxi was on it's way. 5 mins and we were back at the hotel!

The rooms where modern, comfy and very clean.

If we fly from Birmingham again, WE ARE STAYING HERE! Excellent service and place to visit, The value was extremely good!

Thank you Crown Plaza, you train your staff well and look after your customers!

Room Tip: We booked through holiday extras and were happy with the room allocated.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Thehayescouple,

thank you for your time to leave a review about your stay.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope you had a lovely holiday.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

London
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night while attending a concert at the LG Arena. As the other reviewers have noted, it is an excellent location. We we're back in our room just five minutes after the show finished.

Before booking, we looked at various room costs and realised a suite would be cheaper for us as it included breakfast and wifi. That said, be sure to check your bill carefully as if you use wifi, it is automatically charged to your room and you have to ask for it to be removed from your bill if your package included wifi. It could be very easy to pay the huge wifi costs if you weren't vigilant with your bill and package details.

All of the staff we met were so welcoming and friendly. They really made our stay more enjoyable.

The Curtis Suite was fantastic for those working away from home. There was a big desk area, one of the most comfortable desk chairs I've used in a hotel and lots of space and light. It also included a large lounge area.

Would definitely stay again and definitely in a suite which is great value for money.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Karl_n_Cas

Thank you very much for your positive feedback about your stay.

I hope you will stay with us again in future.

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Firstly a warning (- and this was totally my fault, not the hotels.)

We booked this hotel at a higher price than we would normally pay to be within walking distance of the NEC for a concert. It turned out that our concert was in the NIA which is miles away. I had presumed that the NEC had changed it's name as I had never heard of the NIA. Check your tickets!!

Back to the hotel - though it was very nice I did not feel the price was justified to be honest. We had two rooms, first we booked the two x double bed room for £135. We later added another room and the price had shot up to £162! I checked every possible website and these were the best prices I could find! This price did NOT include breakfast which was charged extra at around £11 PER PERSON (I noticed a previous reviewer said their price did??) There was no free wi-fi and we had to pay to park £10 for one night.

The rooms were fine. One looked over the lake but ours looked over the huge construction site next door (again not the hotels fault) but we were woken in the morning by the beeping of trucks reversing. See photo!

Due to my mistake with the arenas we did not get a chance to sample the restaurant as planned as we ended up many miles away to drop our kids at the right arena.

My highest praise for this hotel is for the reception staff who were always courteous, efficient and friendly which is something that is sadly lacking in a lot of hotels.

Room Tip: To avoid being woken by trucks reversing ask for a lake view room (though they do charge extra if yo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear katesgame1,

thank you very much for your feedback about your stay.

I am very sorry to hear that you booked the wrong hotel by mistake and therefore had a longer journey to the arena for the concert.
I hope you still enjoyed your time with us and it is brilliant to hear that our reception staff has been friendly and efficient.

I hope you will stay with us again in future.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Excellent position just 10 minutes away from the NEC/LG Arena: although there is no covered walkway so take an umbrella if the weather is typically English! Massive car park, so normally no parking problems.

We've stayed here on numerous occasions and the rooms are always well cleaned and fresh. Currently there is a massive building project next door, but I didn't notice any noise or disruption.

The mini-bars have been decommissioned, but left in place, so you may spend 10 minutes fiddling around trying to get a gin and tonic to no avail! Pity they don't just put stickers on the fridges.

The TV menus are also a bit fiddly but the normal TV channels are buried in there somewhere, so keep looking.

My biggest complaint is the cost of WiFi: £5 for an hour or £10 for 4 hours (from the time of set up not usage). These days, this is simply a necessity and the charging method means you will pay at least £10 on your bill. There seemed to be a very poor mobile signal on all our networks so no getting round it for us.

On a positive note; there has been a huge improvement in staff engagement and service over the last year. The staff in attendance at the buffet breakfast couldn't have been more helpful or friendly: well done!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms face the NEC Lake which is a better view than the car park or building site next d...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
David S, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear RickyManning,

Thank you very much for your time to leave a review about your stay.

I really appreciate the feedback that you have given to us and I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us.
I am pleased to advise you that we have put stickers on all the mini bars now so that our guests are made aware that the mini bars are currently not stocked.
Thank you for your feedback about the breakfast staff, I will pass this on to the team.

I hope you will visit us again soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 May 2014

A mixed bag of experiences and it can not be forgotten that the staff are excellent.

On the down side, the lock on the room door was known to the staff to be faulty, I was advised this had been pointed out 3 times to other staff. This caused untold problems and had I been locked out of the room late a night this had the potential to be a big problem!

The fridge in the room was locked closed and not working, check rooms have a fridge because I do not think any of the others do either.

The ironing system is bizarre cords everywhere. The cheap iron supplied did not work sufficiently but another was delivered; however, the ironing board was attached to the first Iron so now we have 3 sets of cords.

Ordered a suit jacket to be dry cleaned for an important meeting 3 days in advance, once again was let down, the jacket had not been cleaned.

Having booked for 4 days I checked out one day early. Even though there was no pressure on room space I had to pay for the extra day.

As earlier mentioned the upside to this place is the staff, has it not been for the near perfect skills of the waiting staff this place would have got the thumbs down.

I would stay here again but wouldn't be my first choice. Some of the basics need looking at... as I said earlier, a mixed bag.

The hotel has an almost fanatical focus on getting unhappy customers to phone the manager. I did not have time to do this hence the post has gone live. I think that it is probably fair to say they probably would have made some allowance had I complained.

Room Tip: Check you have a fridge, if you want coffee or tea in your room this is not possible without room se...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Happycampersnz,

thank you very much for your feedback.

I am very sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your time with us and we have let you down on a number of different issues.
I understand that the issues you encountered with the ironing board, the fridge and the dry cleaning leave a bad light on our hotel and our service, however, I am glad that the service that our staff provided you to has left a very positive impression with you.

I hope you will be staying with us again in future when you are in the area.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We were seeing a concert at the LG Arena, and this turned out to be an excellent choice. We arrived by train and was delighted at how easy it was to get to, and that it was sign posted very clearly. It also made leaving the arena very painless, without the hassle of getting out by car.

The room was a nice size, with free chocolate, water, and tea/coffee facilities. There was construction going on next door, but we didn't hear any of it in the morning. We didn't realise we had breakfast included until we got there. Breakfast was great! We got seated like a restaurant, and there was a buffet which included cereal, toast, danishes, cooked breakfast etc.

If we have to stay over again after a concert, we'd stay here without a second thought. The staff were also very welcoming and friendly.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear survivorGirl,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you had a great time and enjoyed your stay.

David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Genting Hotel
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#23 of 118 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,302 reviews

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!