“Never again, if I can help it”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ranked #46 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 23 July 2014

A miserable experience on the whole. A two night stay for a conference began with a late, solo dinner that was surprisingly good. Excellent salad starter, followed by a very well-cooked chicken main course and a pretty decent glass of wine. Friendly service from a customer-focused trainee.

However, that was the only good part. The hotel bedrooms apparently have 'air conditioning' in the rooms. They are allowed to call it that, as there is a pollen filter involved. Alas, aside from that, it really is not air conditioning as you would want, or know it. Air is simply blown over pipes of either hot, or cold, running water to chill it before it enters the room. All very well, except it doesn’t really work on a hot day, especially when the contribution from the hot pipe is significant. It doesn’t even work when there is a significant contribution from the cold one either. All this level of detail is thanks to the engineer to who came to try to fix it. Another engineer had to come to fix the safe that wasn’t working.

Sadly, no engineer could fix the temperature in the unbearably hot meeting room, the’ music’ room, that we had to endure. I couldn’t wait to get out today, and leave the place behind. Being over-charged for the use of the internet just rubbed salt in the wound. I really don’t want to use this place again.

Oh, the tap on the bath was broken too, the sofa was filthy, and the room sagging and sad. But you guessed that.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
SteelDavid, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear LunchingSwede,

thank you very much for your time to leave feedback regarding your stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant time with us due to the hot bedroom and meeting room. I can fully understand that that it is a very frustrating and annoying experience when you feel comfortable because of the heat in the bedroom and meeting room.

It would be great if you could contact our Guest Relations Manager, Inga Weilandt, via email inga.weilandt@ihg.com so that we can speak to you directly and find a solution to your complaint.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed here for meetings at the NEC - a group of 9 people in total. The hotel was very convenient, just 5 minutes walk away. Apart from a problem with my room when I discovered that the lock on the door had failed so anyone could open the door from the outside, the stay was perfect (the hotel changed my room when I discovered the problem). The only minor issue was that I did not think the hot water was very hot. I turned the tap up to the 50 degree temperature mark but still the water was not hot enough for a bath. OK for the summer months, but this would definitely not be acceptable in winter! At £130 it is not cheap, but I guess it can be expected as it is on site at the NEC.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
SteelDavid, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear carolina46,

Thank you very much for your review about your recent hotel experience with us.

I am sorry that you encountered a few issues during your stay with us but I still hope you enjoyed the rest of your time with us.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Myself and my husband stayed here for 2 nights for my birthday weekend (11th July 2014) we found the overall experience to be outstanding. The hotel was really clean, fresh and spacious. The staff were polite, friendly and efficiant. We had a great weekend and will definatly return. Thank you CP Birmingham

Room Tip: The rooms are all lovely so choice is not an issue at all
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
SteelDavid, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear dee110773,

Thank you very much for your brilliant feedback.

Hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

The hotel is easy to find near the entrance to the NEC and is convenient for there the LG and the airport.

The reception is large and bright and i was treated very well and given an upgrade to a lake view room because of my rewards club status. The front of house were very helpful and friendly.

As an IHG rewards member you get free wifi which is ok for emails and Skype but a bit slow. You can "upgrade" to a faster version for a fee.

The room was pleasant enough but personally I wouldn't pay the extra for the view - let's face it Lake Garda it isn't. The bed (as with most CP's) was very comfortable although the air con was a bit ineffective. The sofa in the room was comfortable and there was plenty of desk space to work.

There is an in room safe which is always useful.

The bathroom is ok with a decent shower over the bath.

Overall the room was very clean and tidy.

I had booked dinner bed and breakfast which means you get a 3 course meal with a choice of 3 starters, mains and dessert or you can have a contribution towards the a la carte. The food was pretty good and the service very good.

Breakfast was a decent buffet with a good selection of hot and cold.

The only slight downside is the size of the fitness room. There are a few machines and no loose weights or weight training machines except oddly a bicep curl machine. I would expect more from a hotel of this standard.

Overall, however, I liked the hotel and will probably return when I'm next in the area.

Dear divepetem9 ,

Thank you very much for your time to leave feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you would stay with us again in future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed 1 night on business in preference to the excellent nearby Holiday Inn what a disappointment !
Noisy building site nearby , food good no upgrade or recognition of platinum status. Very overpriced both room and food
Won't hurry back another airport hotel more focused on parking stays than regular business customers

Stayed: July 2014
SteelDavid, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Trigger131186487,

thank you very much for your time to leave a review.

I am very sorry that your stay with us was not great and that we did not provide you with the service that you would expect of a Crowne Plaza, especially as a Platinum Member.

Your feedback will help us to improve our service and I hope you will be staying with us again in future.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

My Wife & I stayed here for 1 night as we were seeing Robbie Williams at the LG arena. The main reason we chose this hotel was the fact it was so close to the LG.
When checking in the hotel had allocated us a twin room but we had booked a double. The lady on reception immediately changed this for us without any fuss.
Our room was a good size with a large, and very comfy, bed. The bathroom was also a good size. We didn`t have much of a view out of our window but this wasn`t a problem.
The bar was very busy before the concert so we went straight to the arena. A short walk alongside the lake & we were there in less than 5 minutes.
After the concert we came back to the hotel bar & it was very busy, standing room only & long queues at the bar. There were plenty of staff behind the bar which helped to keep the waiting time to an OK length although some of the drinks were very expensive. My main moan here is that the bar was packed with non residents. The people who have paid good money to stay at the hotel should get some type of priority, maybe a separate bar section for residents?
When booking the hotel we were told check out was 12 o`clock but at 11:10am we had a member of staff knocking on our door saying we should of checked out 10 mins ago! When we checked out the lady at the front desk was very apologetic & this in no way spoilt our time here.

Room Tip: We had a standard double with disabled access. The room was a good size & very clean. This type...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
SteelDavid, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Steve C,

thank you very much for your time to leave a review about your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Booked the Concert Package deal to include pre-concert dinner, accommodation and breakfast. No complaints about the check-in, room and service, but I would recommend pre-booking dinner before arrival. 5 minute walk to LG arena although disabled access to the pathway is poor, having to go through the restaurant and then across the grassed area outside.
If you want a non hassle, no queues and relaxing access to the LG, then well worth the deal.

Dear JamesERW ,

thank you very much for your feedback.

I hope you will be staying with us again soon.

David

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
#29 of 118 in Birmingham
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#24 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!