“Great Team - serious fire alarm” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of ibis Styles Birmingham Centre

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
ibis Styles Birmingham Centre
Ranked #28 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Berlin, Germany
“Great Team - serious fire alarm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one week at the Holiday Inn Express in Birmingham. We truly enjoyed the kind and professional service of manager Macarena and her team. Any issue, let it be a forgotten UK adapter or Wifi access - Macarena and her tram got it solved with a smile!
We also stayed at the Hotel during a fire alarm and I can tell you they take it very serious. No exception, everyone has to leave the room, no matter the outside temperatur and to wait until the Hotel is cleared. So you better get warm clothes and your laptop if ot happens to you as well ...

3 Thank KLH2012Riyadh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013 via mobile

Returned from our second visit here ,we were given a quite room with comfortable bed. Rooms cleaned and fresh towels , tea coffee left daily and the cleaners were lovely. Lucy and Manun on the reception team was brilliant, helped us with our room, boarding pass , recommended for excellent Indian restaurant Rajdoot . Lovely environment will be returning.

Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

I stayed here for a medical conference on the last weekend in April 2013. The hotel is within easy walking distance to New Street Station. I stayed in standard room 301 and would rate my hotel experience as very pleasant; the room was very clean and of good size - even breakfast was better than expected having read some awful reviews (it's not brilliant, but adequate). The bed was not the best I've ever slept in either but it was very quiet and overall for the price a very good experience and I would certainly be very happy to stay here again.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

Stayed in this hotel recently and I had the worst experience of any IHG hotel I have stayed in to date !! And may I add I have stayed in a lot all round the world !!

We checked in at reception, our room was reserved with a credit card & we asked the receceptionist if we could pay cash & for the post to be closed on the room as we would not be having any extras throughout our one night stayed. The reception was horrendous ! She was very rude an abrupt and immediately barked at us that we needed to pay her a £25.00 deposit !
We asked why and she said its hotel policy. I stated that we had paid cash for the room and we did not need to leave a deposit as we wouldn't be having anything else during our stay. She dismissed us and again Rudely instructed that we were to pay £25.00 deposit. I tied to explain to her that I was a priority club card holder and that I had never heard of this deposit procedure in any other IHG hotel. I told her that these terms were not stated in the booking confirmation. She then has the audacity to argue back with me continually that it is stated. As I knew 100% that this was not the case I took out my iphone with the confirmation email on that clearly didn't mention any deposit was mandatory and she didn't even look at it and again dismissed what I was saying.
We had come to stay here from out of town for one night and had brought cash that we needed so didn't have £25.00 disposable, my friend had to use her work business debit card to pay. The receptionist wouldn't even hear us out despite our valid points !!

We then seen on the reception board that this receptionist Lucy was actually a also the duty manager quite shocking really that somebody in her position would be so rude and argumentative to guests, what a bad example to other members of staff !!

When we were checked in and entered the lift a couple who had witnessed her rude behaviour commented to us in the elevators about how unprofessional and rude she in fact was. The front of house staff are responsible for leaving a good impression of the hotel and this lady certainly did not.

Myself and my two friends couldn't believe the way she had spoke to us an how she didn't even look at the email or listen to us the customers !!!!

To add insult to injury We then checked into a room on 6th floor and as soon as the three of us walked in we were faced with a truly vile smell. The room smelt foul, damp and musty and we instantly agreed we couldn't stay there for the night. We returned to reception to ask for our room to be swapped as we were not happy. We were swapped to another room which didn't smell which was better.

We were disappointed to find the bedrooms had not been renovated to the same clean modern standard of most other holiday inn expresses. The rooms were cramped an dated.

I visit Birmingham every fortnight and I most definitely would never stay in this hotel again !! The experience was awful. The female receptionist ruined our stay with her manner as soon as we walked through the door. Will give my money to the Holiday inn city centre down the road next time a much better establishment !!!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Fayep88
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 11 May 2013
Dear Fayep88,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Janice A
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

Stayed here for 1 night on business. Pretty central, although difficult to find first time even though I know Birmingham fairly well, with a pub (Shakespears - Meal/Pint (Peroni) for £10) and a couple of restaurants alongside.

Room was good size, clean and well equipped but breakfast was really pretty poor.

Have stayed in Birmingham Jurys, Novotel and Radisson hotels and all better than HIE.

1 Thank Inverclyde
Dear Inverclyde,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the room accommodations and the location of our hotel. However, I am truly sorry to hear that the breakfast served during your travel did not live up to your expectations. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Janice A
Bristol England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

First of all the positives, the room although a little on the small side was bright and clean, the bathroom was likewise bright and clean. The location is a little bit away from the main shopping area and nightlife which means it is quiet.
Now the negative bits the bed was not comfortable, there was an elderly small cathode ray tube TV and finally providing the opposite of a feel good factor the breakfast was not just uninspiring it was bad. I stay in hotels at all sorts of price points and this was the worst breakfast I have had in 10 years since I stayed in an even cheaper rival that provided breakfast in a doggy bag. The hot breakfast offering was lukwarm cheap sausages, rubbery grainy scrambled eggs and congealed lukewarm baked beans,and that it! It would be better not to bother if the cold offering was better. The hot option was disgusting and it is embarrasing that a Brtish hotel would serve such rubbish. I attempted it two days running. The standard was bad both days. I tried a pain au chocolat and it tasted like it had been hanging around a day or two the texture was firm and greasy. Book your hotel earlier, and try the proper Holiday Inn or any of the plentiful hotels in Birmingham

1 Thank Bill089
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear Bill089,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. It is nice to know that you found our rooms and bathrooms to be bright and clean. We are sincerely sorry for the issues you had with the bed and with breakfast. All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. I sincerely hope that the next time you are Birmingham you will give our hotel another try.

Karen G.
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

Stayed over on a business trip for one night. The hotel is basic but clean and helpful staff. Breakfast is basic but again enough to choose from and cant complain for bed and breakfast for £69 - corporate rate. Very central hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Dear Food_Travel_10,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Connie D