“Bad Start But Excellent Stay !”

ibis Styles Birmingham Centre
Ranked #40 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I had the chance to stay in this hotel for attending an event in NEC with my wife to have some relaxation as she is having Chemotherapy treatment for cancer breast, our stay was from the 9th of June to the 14th of June, we first experienced a big problem in checking in because the system was down and we had to wait for an hour ! we started to be nervous and the problem was solved by Macarena (really very professional and kind), then we were very happy with our stay, the room was "309" a very nice location, very clean and tidy, nice furniture but the mattress was not so good (need to be changed), the staff was very friendly and they want to do anything they can to support your stay, the hotel in a very nice location, although it is in the middle of the city you cannot hear any noise coming from the street, breakfast was OK but it should have more varieties, why not adding beef sausages as well, "Mandana and Sara " were very helpful and active, also the room should have a mini bar, I will recommend this hotel for anybody who is looking for relaxation, business or shopping, sure I will be staying in it again if I will have the chance to visit Birmingham again... Thank you All Staff

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Khaled G
Morag M, Manager at ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Dear Khaled

Thank you for your review of the Lionel Street Hotel Birmingham.

I am pleased that there were many aspects of your stay that were positive including the my hotel team.

As part of our ongoing commitment to customer satisfaction we are undergoing a refurbishment plan at the moment.

We are currently working on improving our breakfast offering and I am confident that you will see the results of this in the near future.

I hope to see you again in the future.

Kind regards

Morag

There are newer reviews for ibis Styles Birmingham Centre

Reviewed 16 June 2013

Stayed at this hotel last weekend as I was in Birmingham for a workshop. This is my first trip to Birmingham and fortunately for me, the hotel is centrally situated and about 5 min walk from the New Street Station. It makes my travel so easy and convenient.

The staff are helpful and the room is clean. For the price I paid, I considered it extremely good value. Overall it is great for me. Will be staying here again in September for another workshop

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear David A

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback following on from your recent stay with us at the Lionel Street Hotel Birmingham.

I am pleased that there were many aspects of your stay that were positive including the helpful hotel team.

I hope to see you again in September.

Kind regards

Morag

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Welcoming staff in a very clean hotel, even with some refurbishment going on. Not far to get into the city centre and New St station and minutes from Broad Street. Rooms as you would expect clean, comfortable and very practical. Breakfast choice isn't big but has plenty to get you started for the day and the free I newspaper is a welcome bonus. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable about the local area and getting around. Will stay again.

Room Tip: Try for the top floor cuts out city traffic noise, but to be fair the hotel is on a side street
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed here for three nights for my birthday and had a great time, staff were so polite and helpful. Breakfast was satisfactory although the sausages were awful, more potato than meat! Easy walking distance to both Broad Street and the Bullring which suited us fine as there is nothing worse than trying to park your car. Will definitely stay here again as it was very quiet and well placed for everything.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I was surprised to be told on arrival that only guests were allowed in the hotel after 11 - I suspect that this could be to try to stop ladies of the night frequenting this establishment. There were some questionable characters checking in at the same time as us - 2 girls that the men on reception seemed to know very well made me think they stayed there a lot!
The thing that convinced me was being kept awake by the sounds of sexual screams from a nearby room that went on for hours!
Other than that the location was convenient for the symphony hall and the rooms were clean - breakfast was fine.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Caro307
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear Caro307,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are glad you liked the convenient location of our hotel in the area. Please allow us to apologize for the noise challenges you have experienced during your stay and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

The hotel is globally quite ok... clean and new enough for a business trip.
The main limits is the breakfast (that is quite poor).
The staff is good always smiling and ready to support.
The room was too cold and no way to get warmer... but at least the shower was strong and hot!
Anyway the price (130£ including breackfast) was good considering the Birmingham style...
Suggested only for short trips.
Bye!

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Could not be more disappointed. I stay frequently at IHG hotels and am usually impressed overall. Not here though, not even close. I admit that I booked this hotel by accident and actually intended to stay at the non express holiday inn but that is not the reason for my unhappiness. Check in was slow and confusing and, as a gold member, I was expecting a free drink voucher that I usually get. Nothing this time but also nothing to cry about. However the rooms give a new meaning of basic. They make you feel as though you have travelled back in time to the 80s with their tiny rear projection TVs which they still have the cheek to charge £10 for a movie on. I haven't checked out the bar or had breakfast yet but I hold no hope of this hotel (dump) redeeming itself. The charge is £150 a night but look somewhere else if you can't get it for £30 or under because disappointment should never cost this much.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Carlmcco
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Dear Carlmcco,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room accommodations prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J