“Good for the ICC”

ibis Styles Birmingham Centre
Ranked #40 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed here for one night prior to attending a conference at the ICC.

The hotel is very conveniently located for the ICC, being a couple of minutes walk away and it’s also very close to the new library, the bars and restaurants by the Canal and not too far a walk from New Street.

From previous visits to Birmingham I know that this hotel used to belong to another, rival, chain before being converted to a Ibis Styles some point in the last year or so.

The room was of a good size and well equipped, though with a slightly oddly designed bathroom

Breakfast was a bit of a disappointment, with all the bread products clearly a little overcooked (well, burnt if I’m brutally honest in places)

For a hotel located so close to a major conference centre I was slightly concerned that it took over 10 minutes to check out as there was just one member of staff on reception, and she was away dealing with another customer for much of that time.

Positives
Location
Comfortable Room and Bed

Negative
Burnt breakfast
Very slow checkout

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
CBarratt, General Manager at ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am happy to hear that overall you had a good stay with us and found the hotel conveniently located.

I am sorry that the pastries were a little overcooked, this will be bought to the attention of the breakfast team so we can rectify this ongoing.

Please accept my apologies for the delay you experienced when checking out of the hotel, we always have as a minimum 2 members of reception staff on duty. I will look into this and understand what caused this delay.

I hope that should your travels bring you back to Birmingham again in the future, that you will return to the ibis Styles Birmingham Centre again.

Kindest Regards

There are newer reviews for ibis Styles Birmingham Centre

Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is a late review for a stay I had in November 2013. The site would not let me review it again as I had already submitted a previous review saying how good it was and that would definitely stay again. Apparently I had to wait a period of time before I did.

Having stayed last night in a Holiday Inn which this hotel was in a previous life I can only say what a difference and a change of brand makes. I can only with one of the previous reviews about the standard of the breakfast. Compared with my previous stay and where I stayed last night it was absolutely shocking. Where staff went out of their way to assist on the previous occasion I got absolute negativity. Certainly not in my opinion a change for the better.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
CBarratt, General Manager at ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your second stay at the ibis Styles Birmingham Centre.

If you could provide me with more details as to why you did not enjoy your stay I would be greatful as the review doesnt indicate this.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed here with another family just before Christmas. The price was great for a city centre location and we were able to walk to the Christmas market without any children complaining of tired legs!

The rooms were warm and clean. Very comfy double bed and a perfectly decent sofa bed for the children although would be a bit of a squash if they were much older than my 7 and 10 year olds.

Breakfast in the morning was a perfectly fine continental affair with plenty of choice and we were quite happy with it. Complimentary hot drinks from the machine in the foyer were also greatly appreciated especially for hot chocolate when we got back from the market.

All in all this was a really good stay and staff were always pleasant and helpful both to us and our children. I imagine we'll be back next Christmas!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of the ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, we are delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We hope you come back very soon, and dont forget, if you book in advance discounted rates are available.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We have just returned from a 3 night midweek stay at this hotel. We have used the hotel several times before when it was a Holiday Inn and it previously met our needs at a fair price. We returned because several of our friends were also staying here while we all attended an international sporting event at the NIA. It was not especially cheap compared with nearby alternatives. The experience was a disappointment overall and we will not be returning.

Some positives to start with:

It really is very convenient for the NIA being a short and pleasant walk along the canal towpath.
It is a short walk from New Street station but you will want to find out the best route before you arrive to avoid some unsavoury areas and detours due to a main road without a pedestrian crossing. (Yes the hotel will give you a map and directions, but that's a bit late when you have already navigated there)
Staff at reception were helpful and polite and were keen to please.
Complimentary tea and coffee in reception.
Roooms were clean and house keeping kept them that way, with replenishment of towels when we wanted them.

But...

The breakfast:

Truly horrible attempt at a continental breakfast. (the hotel blurb had not mentioned that it was continental - I'm sure the french hotel group would have been appalled by their attempt at a "continental" breakfast)

There was fruit salad but it was mostly made from unripe melon and was almost inedible. (We pointed this out to the staff and were rewarded the next day by it not being available at all)

The fruit juice came from a machine and was made from concentrate. The problem was that the recipe had not been followed or the machine was faulty and it came out as almost pure concentrate. It had to be seriously watered down to make it drinkable.

Twice the coffee machine was not working properly and was dispensing cuppuchino without milk!

The bread. Absolutely ghastly cheap white and brown sliced bread dumped on a tray straight from the packets.

Fruit - rather sad collection of apples in a dispenser.

Cereals - a small selection of packets and a choice of whole or semi skimmed milk. By 9 am all the semi skimmed had gone and that was that!

Cheese - rectangular packets of slimy rather rubbery cheddar.

There were some small croissants and pain au chocolat - vaguely warm but not very nice.

There was an option to purchase a bacon bap. One other guest asked for one of these and was told it would take about 15 minutes - he didn't bother.

The breakfast area was a bit crowded. The staff struggled to keep the tables clean from the throughput of guests. While we were there the hard-pressed staff cleared one table while the guests were at the counter getting something to eat. They returned to the table to find their drinks and plates and cutlery had been removed.

The Room:

We had a twin room. It was not very big but what you would expect for a budget price.

The beds were Ok but not as comfortable as we expected.

The bathroom configuration is a bit strange. The toilet door swings across two doorways so in theory one person can use the loo while someone else uses the wash basin/shower. Except that the glass partition between the shower and the toilet is not very opaque so there is not really enough privacy if you are not an intimate couple.

The shower is listed as a "power shower". There was not much evidence of power other than gravity feed (we were on 4th floor), and the water temperature was affected when someone else used the basin or flushed the toilet. Not good. Temperature in the shower should be independently controlled by thermostadt.

The room heating is hard to control. Heat comes from a small Dimplex electric heater under the window. The heater only works when the air conditioner is also switched on. Even if you follow the instructions and put the fan on the lowest setting, one cancels out the other. We were cold.

Like in many modern hotels, the electricity is only activated when you put your room keycard in a slot on the wall. The problem with this is that the heating is also switched off when you are not in the room. If like us you return to your room at the end of the day at 10pm, the room will be cold from being without any heat all day. A poor arrangement.

We had absolutely no mobile phone signal in the room. (Vodafone) I suppose this is beyond the control of the hotel but is inconvenient. Especially so because......

The complimentary WiFi has to be activated by keying in a code sent to you by text message. If you have no mobile signal, you get no text message, so can't activate the wi-fi. Catch 22

We went down to reception and the receptionist gave us a "guest" internet access code that worked in the reception area only. That got us past the problem but we only got the proper wifi code by text message once we left the hotel and came back in range of a mobile phone signal. Pretty hopeless.

.........

In summary this was an experience we will choose not to repeat. There is a wide choice of alternative hotels nearby including budget price offerings. If you really want cheap and cheerful go somewhere else. If you want a decent breakfast and it is not offered by your hotel, the nearby Wetherspoons provides a good alternative.

Stayed: March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your stay of the ibis Styles Birmingham Centre.

I am pleased that you found the hotel to be clean, in a convenient location and had a team that made you feel welcome.

I am however very disappointed to hear that there were elements of your stay that did not meet your expectations. Your comments have been passed to the relevent departments for action to be taken where possible.

I hope that your experience does not disuade you from staying in other ibis Styles hotels in the future.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I travel to Birmingham regularly and normally choose the Hampton by Hilton or Holiday Inn Express for my overnight stays. Given the proximity of the Ibis to the office in Great Charles Street I decided to give it a try. A regrettable choice.

For - location, friendly staff, Sky Sports (1,2 & 3) in the room, parking (£12 a day)

Against - two single beds pushed together for a 'double' with a ridge at the join. A shower with little pressure behind it. Their website states, 'enjoy an all you can eat breakfast', without mentioning that it is a continental breakfast only. The wifi is the O2 network, and is patchy at best. The desk chair is not adjustable and quite uncomfortable if working in your room. Room service consists of them dialling you to let you know your food is ready, please come and collect it from reception.

I won't be using Ibis again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank EssJaySee
CBarratt, General Manager at ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, it is great that you found the parking, staff and location a benefit to you.

I am sorry that there were elements of your stay that did not meet your expectations such as some rooms being zip and link beds. As there is 1 mattress topper covering the whole bed, I am surprised that you felt a ridge, but we will look into this for you. Our All Inclusive Breakfast is a continental offering consisting of cheeses, ham, fruit, pastries and breads etc. If you prefer something warm, you can purchase a bacon bap for £2.95.

We do not offer room service in the hotel, however for your convenience, if customers prefer to wait in their bedrooms whilst the food is being cooked, we will happily call you to let you know when your food is ready.

I hope that should your travels bring you back to Birmingham, that you may re consider using the hotel again.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 2 March 2014

If you're familiar with the usual layout and facilities of Holiday Inn Express hotels, then you'll immediately feel at home here. The rooms are slightly bigger than the Birmingham City Centre Ibis I stayed in and breakfast is included in the price. It's just like the old style Holiday Inn Express continental breakfast - the only hot item available is a bacon bap for an additional £2.95, but you could always nip out to the nearby McDonalds for a bigger choice and bring it back to enjoy with the rest of your complimentary hotel breakfast. I prefer the slightly more soothing décor to the standard dark purple of Premier Inn, and wifi is free, so are toothbrushes and toothpaste together with some personal hygiene items if you've left yours behind. Premier Inn charges for all these things. Very comfortable bed and the room was quiet so I slept well. No bath (unlike Premier Inn) but the shower was good. Good choice of Freeview channels. They just need to improve the complimentary breakfast offering so that it includes some hot items. Compare the prices of Holiday Inn Express and Premier Inn and make your choice! You can't really compare it to the basic no frills standard of Travelodge.

It's around 10 minutes walk from New Street station but you do need to pass through the rather horrible Paradise Circus shopping centre (due to be redveloped apparently) and it's not easy to find first time. Some old maps still mark it as Holiday Inn Express which could be confusing as that is now located near to Snow Hill station.

For me it was excellent value - a Friday night stay for £25 booked in advance on the Tuesday before as part of the Accor Hotels LeClub 'Happy Mondays' offer.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the ibis Styles Birmingham Centre. You have captured some great aspects of the hotel to include design, offering and value!

We were formely a Holiday Inn Express, but we hope you enjoyed the changes we made to our bedrooms and public areas to make them 'stylish'.

Come back and stay with us very soon!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

for £60 incl parking, we were impressed to have free internet and breakfast. Service was promopt and polite. Couldn't fault it. Some good bars nearby and easy walking distance to the Bullring for shopping.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of the ibis Styles Birmingham Centre. I am pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us. One of the great reasons to choose ibis Styles hotels is our All Inclusive offering which includes Breakfast, WiFi and Unlimited Tea and Coffee.

We hope you come back and stay with us again very soon.