“Basic but comfortable nonetheless”

ibis Styles Birmingham Centre
Ranked #32 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
“Basic but comfortable nonetheless”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

A basic but fairly comfortable hotel which was fine for a couple of days. Staff were welcoming and the rooms themselves clean and in reasonable condition.

The lock on my room door was faulty, which resulted in reception having to accompany me to the room each time to gain access. Late on the day 2 I was moved but by this point I'd been accompanied around 4-5 times and was quite tired of having to ask to gain access to my room. A new room was arranged, however, the issue could have been resolved more quickly if staff had been more service focused.

Breakfast was a fairly limited buffet set off to the side of the reception area. Absolutely fine if you simply wanted to grab a slice of toast and a coffee.

There aren't many facilities around about the hotel, which seems to be situated in a business district; I walked back into town to find a small supermarket and this took 10 or so minutes each way. There is, however, a cracking pub which serves food - The Shakespeare - immediately next door.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
CBarratt, General Manager at ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your stay at the ibis Styles Birmingham Centre.

I am pleased to read that the hotel met your needs and that you had an enjoyable stay. Please accept my apologies for the issue you encountered with your door lock, I understand that this was an inconvenience to you. I will discuss with the team what caused the delay in you being moved on the second day as opposed to day 1, but thank you for your feedback.

I hope that you choose to stay with us again should your travels bring you back to Birmingham.

Carla Barratt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Polish first
Reykjavik, Iceland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Last March I stayed at this hotel when going to Crufts. The rooms are clean but small.
The mattress in the extra bed is thin. The breakfast is very basic but I had no trouble finding something to eat. The staff was very friendly and went out of there way to help us with the Wi-FI. If I go back to Birmingham I would book a room at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to Crufts. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and would stay with us again.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Lunch served late and poor quality. Wifi was appalling and intermittent. Room was poorly lit and too hot. Staff off hand and slow to respond. Won't go there again. Especially concerned as staff felt threatened walking too and from hotel as it is just on the edge of a dodgy area. I saw man urinating against a wall at 9.30 in the morning and loads of beggars close to the hotel.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tigerfan86
Dear Gust,

Thank you for your review on your stay at the ibis Styles Birmingham Centre.

I am sorry to hear that there was a delay in your lunch being served to you, I will ensure that this is fed back to the team at the hotel to understand how this happened.

Our WiFi provider is O2 and I will also ensure that this feedback is given to them so that they can resolve the issue you encountered.

The hotel is located in a quiet section of Birmingham, but convenient for access to Broad Street, the new Library and the ICC etc which means that all access points to and from the hotel are busy and well lit. If there was one route that your team did not feel safe to use, then the team are happy to show you other ways in which you could reach your destination. I am sorry that you felt there were beggars around the hotel, however this may have been an isolated event as fortunately we dont experience that issue normally.

I hope that although you were not happy with the service provided at the ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, you would consider staying in the ibis Styles family again.

Mossley
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Of all the hotels in Birmingham I got this one
Checked in by the abrupt and disinterested Jurgita. Demanded my credit card - I don't carry one due to having one stolen from another hotel room. Then rudely demanded my car park ticket and said "no card? How you gonna pay car park". I said "cash" so I had NO choice - or explanation why - but to pay then despite not checking out until the next day. My requests for an explanation were totally ignored and the response "you get your ticket back in the morning" was all she said
Bed was very comfortable
Breakfast was the lamest most pathetic excuse for a continental I have ever seen. Boiled ham, blocks of cheese some croissants and cereals. Embarrassingly low choice or options

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gshaneg
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the to write a review of your recent stay at the ibis Styles Birmingham Centre.

I am very disappointed to read your comments as this does not display the usual level of high customer service we pride ourselves on at the hotel. Your feedback will be shared with the staff member who checked you in, who I am sure will be disappointed too. I apologise that our policies and procedures were not explained to you in an appropriate manner or that you were given other options on how you could settle your bill.

I am sorry that you found our selection at breakfast limited, however we do offer a selection of juices, coffees, teas, cereals, pastries, breads, fruit, cheeses, ham, yoghurts, muffins, along with a selection of preserves. Your feedback is important to us and we will ensure that this is taken into consideration when reviewing our breakfast offering.

I do hope that should your travels bring you to Birmingham, that you would consider staying wth us again to allow you to restore your faith in us.

Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights and found it very convenient for the city centre of Birmingham.
I was meeting friends who were staying elsewhere and it was an ideal location with no need for a car.
The 4th floor room was clean and spacious with a comfortable bed and very good en-suite bathroom.
Free WiFi was easy to access and the room was very quiet.
Breakfast was well provided although hot cooked options were charged extra eg. bacon bap.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the ibis Styles Birmingham Centre.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our facilities suitable for your needs.

I hope that you come back and stay with us again soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stay at the ibis everytime income to visit in Birmingham, and I have no complaints at all, the staff are friendly always remember us, the rooms are clean easy check in and check out, keep doing what your doing, we will be back again soon for another enjoyable stay :)

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
CBarratt, General Manager at ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review - we are thrilled that you had an enjoyable stay, and we hope you return to us again soon.

North Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We booked this to stay over for a night out on a Saturday night. The location is great - we parked on the street outside which is free parking 6pm-8am and it's just a short walk into the city centre itself.
The rooms are basic and clean with comfy bed and everything you could need.
Breakfast is a basic buffet with a good selection of cereals, fruit & yoghurts and bread & pastries. Very good value for money and we'd definitely use it again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JLE1002
CBarratt, General Manager at ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of the ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

You have highlighted many great features of the hotel to include location and cleanliness. I will share your feedback with the team who I am sure will also be pleased with your feedback.

We hope you come back and stay with us again soon!