“Spotlessly clean room and bathroom but a lot of traffic noise”

ibis Styles Birmingham Centre
Ranked #31 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“Spotlessly clean room and bathroom but a lot of traffic noise”
Reviewed 22 May 2010

Stayed for one night. Pre-booked check-in and check-out was quick.

Arriving at 6:30 pm I found the lift under-capacity as there was a long queue and wait for it. As I was on floor 1 I decided to get the stairs but was unable to find them and a staff member said the lift was easier, so I got the lift.

I later came down the stairs to find the stair entrance/exit to be on the next floor up from the reception, but not adjecent the flight of stairs between this floor and the reception, so it's not obvious where they are or easy to find. Anyway once you've found it great.

My room was a very high standard, the bathroom's mirrors and glass were spotless.

It was a pity the traffic noise stopped me sleeping, until I decamped to the bathroom floor with quilt and pillow and slept like a log! (just as well the bathroom floor was cleaned to such a high standard, the floor being cleaner that some other hotel beds)

Breakfast was superb with a wide choice of items available.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
uk
Reviewed 11 May 2010

I feel i must share this review to all that are planning a visit to Birmingham City centre Holiday Inn.
The entrance foyer of the hotel was very trendy clean and tidy.
Excellent check in staff made it a pleasure to arrive at this hotel, after a long journey feeling tired the staff sensed this and processed our details quickly.
Family room was better than expected plenty of room for me my wife and the children.
The best part of the stay was experiencing one of the best cooked steaks i've ever had, normally you ask for food to be cooked in a certain way i we got three steaks cooked to different orders and all spot on, they were Lovely to perfection which is quite rare as we travel a lot. We had to compliment the chef who cooked them, the entire meal was to be complimented,perfect,,the Waitress who served our table was very pleasant and the waitress was very polite and passed on our compliments to the chef. LOVELY this is all we have to say was LOVELY

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank crompton
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2010

Check in was prompt with pleasant receptionist.

My room was lovely, it must have just been through a refirb. Modern cool looking decor. It was quite a large room with big floor to ceiling windows.
Everythings was pristine and had that nice new smell. It was spotless.

Room
Very large queen size bed which was super comfortable, slept like a log.
Pillow Menu
flat screen tv with tea/coffee and biscuits/ requested extra supplies by housekeeping and delivere within two minutes and enough to last the week!

Bathroom large enough and again brand new.
Soft White fluffy towels and extras in the cupboard if needed.
Toiletries avaialble on request, a notice in the bathroom, although bath gel is already there.

Room service
Got both nights and first night it was luke warm and second a little warmer but not much better. the food itself was presented nicely but of little substance and taste. A better idea would have been to grab a sandwich and salad bowl at m&s I think.
Not a great idea unless you are starving.

Apart from the Room service I couldn't fault this hotel and it has to be one of the better ones I have stayed in for holiday inn. Be very happy to stay again but would give the room service a miss.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Daisy D
Yorkshire
Reviewed 18 March 2010

The hotel is about 15 minutes walk from New Street or a £5 taxi ride. Check-in was smooth and efficient. The bedrooms are a good size and the bed comfortable. The temperature in the room was pleasant unlike a lot of hotels which always seem too warm. There was no bath only a shower.

Although bars and restaurants are not obvious nearby its only a short walk to broad street and there is a traditional pub at the end of the road.

My only complaint was breakfast. There seemed to be plenty of room to sit down but limted space for the breakfast items. There were plenty of cereals and juices but limted fruit and the croissants were some of the saddest I have ever seen.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank I_travel_in_biscuits
UK
Reviewed 16 February 2010

We stayed here to be in Birmingham for Chinese New Year and chose this hotel because my wife works for IHG and we get a substantial discount.
Check in was not good - speaking too fast and not listening to my questions... The room was functionally clean but looked "cheap" and "tired". It was not a room you could feel comfortable in. Breakfast was terrible. Croissants that resembled "dwarf bread" (a hard weapon, not food) and the yoghurts were sour (not refrigerated properly?)
We paid 30% of rack rate, but I am afraid that was not good value and we will never stay in HI Express again.
And to the reviewer with the £700 bill? There is a car park, but you have to demand that reception staff tell you clearly and slowly where it is - and I am not surprised they blindly charged you for the TV. The whole feel of the place is one of blind rule following and charging. We were accused of trying to have 3 people in our room - and I had made sure our friend who was with us at check in stayed in view of reception while we took our 1 bag up to the room!!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ScalliwagToo
Londonderry
Reviewed 1 February 2010

We arrived at the hotel after much confusion. The taxi driver was not sure where exactly the hotel was but a little liaison with other drivers, got us there in the end. I was a little disappointed that the hotel is so far away from the centre of the city. Its a good 20 minute walk into the centre of Birmingham. The staff were pleasant and breakfast passed off smoothly - just a continental breakfast, cereals, fruit, tea/coffee and croissants etc. The food was good and it was ultimately buffet style. The operation of the toaster was a little daunting though. I felt that the breakfast room was just a little too near the lobby and privacy was compromised.
The bedroom was clean and tidy but the shower did not work properly, with only a trickle of pressure. Tea and coffee were a godsend in the room as was a TV and clock, albeit a little too fuzzy reception. The beds were exceptionally comfy. If there was a failing it was that I could not open a window to let some fresh air in. The heating/air conditioning worked exceptionally well though.
I felt that it would have been good to have had some sort of workstation in the lobby for guests, just to pick up an email or too. Okay, the business people of this world will have their laptops with them but we're not all business people.
One final point was that the room servicing was a little erratic, in terms of the time of day you could enter your room. Generally we had an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 19 December 2009

My sister and I stayed here for a leisure visit, mainly for the Xmas market, but we packed in a lot, including a carol concert and a trip to the theatre. The hotel is perfectly adequate if you are not staying long and is close to the city centre for all attractions. I am a Priority Club member but, unlike one recent reviewer, experienced no special treatment on check-in - in fact, Priority Club wasn't even mentioned. I didn't mind but out of curiosity, asked the receptionist about this and she said weekends were too busy to make a distinction! No complaints about accommodation but several about facilties/booking/payment: firstly, I had enquired at length about parking options and had been told about the car park in the adjoining road, parallel to the road the hotel is in. However, although we obviously knew where to look we drove right past it and had to park outside reception and go in to ask. It turned out that it is not signposted in any way other than with a small board saying "entrance", if you know exactly where to look. No mention of anything useful, such as "Car Park"! Secondly, after an earlier problem at another hotel in the brand, where I had booked a twin room and specified that it was for me and my sister, but had been charged for a "guest" as only my name had been noted, I made it very clear tthis time hat it was definitely a booking for two people and that we needed a twin, not a double. So guess what? They had noted that the booking was for 3 people and allocated us a double with a sofa-bed, though they were able to change it to a twin. Lastly, I am used to having to have my credit/debit card swiped on arrival (though I had, of course, already given card details when reserving) but this time they not only took the cost of the room but added another £25. When I objected that this was more than I had agreed to pay, the receptionist said that it was in case we had any "extras". I have never yet incurred any extras in any Holiday Inn hotel and in any case, in a hotel of this type, where breakfast is included and there is no mini-bar or restaurant, it is hard to see how one could, but I was told that it was "hotel policy". So, overall, we got what we wanted and enjoyed our stay in Birmingham, but Holiday Inn could improve the guest experience significantly, and at very little cost, by signposting the car park properly for those travelling by car, sorting out their reservations system (two errors in two bookings and the same one both times) and at least warning guests of the extra cost that will be set against their card when checking in.

• Stayed December 2009