Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
1,709 results
All reviewseye hospitalroll top bathbubbles barmonsoon showerbubble loungenespresso machinedeluxe roombirthday treatmini barlarge bathroomwalk in showerlovely roomcity centresaturday nightstayed for one nightfollowing morningcooked breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights over the last 2 weeks and will try to summarise what I found to be a very poor experience:

Rooms
Very dark (to the point where it is impossible to work at the desk depending on the room you are allocated), uncomfortable pillows and some issues with cleanliness with dust, marks on bedsheets etc. The bathrooms are also in need of an update with cracked tiles etc.

Generally good but cooked breakfast was burnt on a few days. My main gripe is that when ordering room service you are charged a tray charge of £2.50 and also an additional 10% service charge. What exactly is the additional service provided if it isn't bringing it to your room which is covered by the tray charge?? Even when my colleagues and I scored out the supposedly optional service charge on the bill it still turned up on our final bill on check out. Also, asking for an extra slice of brioche with the parfait though room service this incurs a £1 additional charge but if you eat in the Bistro you receive a free baguette which you don't get for room service - where's the logic in charging an extra £1 when the meal pricing is identical in the restaurant and for room service!? All in all, it left the impression that the hotel would try and get every last penny out of you.

Good. Staff were helpful.

I definitely wouldn't recommend this hotel for business given the lack of light in rooms and also wouldn't choose to stay here for leisure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with more than one 40W spotlight!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank traveller98765432140
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Me and a few friends decided to go on a road trip to Birmingham due to it being my birthday and one of the other girls. On arrival we were greeted so well. Went to our rooms and both were amazing roll top bath monsoon shower and comfy bed... Great stay great breakfast the next day.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I recently organised a dinner for 80 people here - it went very smoothly, fantastic work by the team on the night with last minute alterations dealt with fantastically. No issue was insurmountable for Jaro and Francois!

The food was excellent, which considering they were serving 80 people at once was brilliant. And of course the wine was very good too and very reasonable for this event.

I did stay at the hotel and the room was amazing! My bathroom was the same size as my bedroom with a roll top bath and a wonderful rainfall shower. Great service by all the staff.

My only quibble was no conditioner and no body lotion in the bathroom, and the hairdryer could have been a bit more powerful - but that is it!

So - you're lucky if you get to stay here on business, probably more fun for a romantic weekend!

Didn't try the spa, sadly but the menu looked great!

Room Tip: I stayed in Veuve Clicot - lovely!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Stayed here last Sunday night for my husbands birthday, went for their Penfold Grange suite and it was absolutely fabulous. In the UK probably the best room we've ever had, and we've stayed in some nice hotels.

Firstly i must say all the staff we came into contact with were brilliant, really couldnt fault the service from the guys in reception, the lady in the bar and also the restaurant staff were brilliant. Good service is something we really appreciate and dont take it for granted as so often places fall down where service is concerned.

The location of this hotel is also pretty perfect if you like to be off the main drag yet still close to things, its in a quiet 'business type' area so on a Sunday some of the little bars, restaurants & cafes in the immediate area are closed (as is the hotels pub du vin) however you only need to head out of the hotel towards the cathedral and you are in quite a main area of shops etc. Probably a 10 minute walk to the bullring.

The hotel has a lovely bar (additional to the pub) which was really quiet on a Sunday afternoon and so relaxing, lots of big sofa's ... you really could fall asleep in there !

Tried the Bistro for lunch ... like everything else it was faultless, really good portions and perfectly cooked. Breakfast was also really good, we went for the full english and we really enjoyed it.

The room itself has a real wow factor and was well laid out and maintained, the only area it shows signs of tiredness is the sofa which has a few marks on it but i guess its been hammered over the years ! Theres a big plasma TV & DVD player, the bed was huge, 8ft ! The bathroom had 2 roll top baths side by side, and the best shower i've ever had ! Also really like the big size toiletries and the fact in our room at least we had a set of everything each. I can never understand why some hotels are so tight with toiletries ! The room also has its own gym (yes really !). Like the little Nespresso machine in the room, nice touch! Also like the fact they put a little free bottle of milk in the mini-bar, again really thoughtful and costs them next to nothing to do ... far better than those awful uht cartons.

Have stayed at the Birmingham Malmaison many times in the past, and have also recently tried the new hotel Indigo in the cube, however the HDV is more our kind of thing decor wise and just from a service point of view beats the others hands down ... we will definately be back !

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andycat17
Reviewed 26 June 2012

A fantastic hotel, with loads of character and history. Only stayed for one night whilst providing AV equipment for a one day conference. Upon arrival the staff we're very friendly, helpful and informative - a rarity these days, and I was checked into my room in no time.

The room I had was fantastic, nice high ceiling,big windows, HUUUGE bathroom and shower, and had everything I needed. It even had a fancy coffee machine, which being a non-coffee drinker was no use to me, but a nice touch none the less. I eventually found the kettle and tea bags hiding in the wardrobe.

The only criticism I have was Breakfast. Being a man who likes his food, it was a no brainer ordering the 'Full English' breakfast, but with hindsight I wish I hadn't bothered now! The black pudding, bacon and scrambled eggs were all very salty. Salty to the point I did not finish them. Bacon, granted, is salty by it's very nature, but I genuinely felt concern for my heart when I tasted the scrambled egg!!! I'm not writing off this place totally in terms of food, as I have only had one meal here, but they could do a lot better at breakfast, especially considering the hefty price tag that accompanied it - £17 from memory.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business