“great room, restaurant food average”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #31 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 9 January 2013

stay is one of the suite, the room feels very comfortable and relaxing, which i really liked. slept well in the huge bed. service was good, all the staff were polite, so will defo go and stay at the hotel again. as to the bistro, service was good, but food was ok at best.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 January 2013

A super city centre location and wonderful adaptation of the Old Eye Hospital, which makes the environment very interesting and opulent. The Champagne Bar is a favourite hang out of the 'glitterati' of Birmingham and the restaurant food superb. Best thing about staying are the beds (wonderful Egyptian linen) and fabulous showers and baths. Then, after a very luxurious evening, you can enjoy one of the best breakfasts around. Highly recommended when in this great city!

Room Tip: Get a bath - they are fabulous!
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I stayed in this hotel for two nights in December 2012. This was my second visit. I like Hotel du Vin for its convenient location (a short walk from New Street Station), the quality of the bedrooms and bathrooms and the general ambience in the bar and restaurant. It would be very good but for one thing: the delivery of breakfast orders is far too slow. This was the case on the first occasion I stayed here over a year ago and sadly the situation has not improved. The staff mean well but they seem unable to cope with the number of people requiring breakfast at a similar time. On the first morning a colleague (there were several of us staying in the hotel) advised me that she had been waiting over 20 minutes for her cooked breakfast to arrive. As I did not have that amount of time to spare, I did not order anything. On the second day, I allowed 30 minutes for breakfast. My order was taken promptly - the coffee and toast arrived after 17 minutes and the cooked breakfast had not arrived after 25 minutes despite two promptings. My colleague and I had to leave for our meeting - again without a cooked breakfast. I can understand that there can be delays but customers should be given an indication of the likely delay in advance and not have to wait indefinitely for food to appear. The experience spoiled an otherwise enjoyable stay. The staff are helpful and friendly but the breakfast management needs attention. Hence the hotel is almost very good.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We decided to stay for New Years Eve, having had a wonderful time there a few years ago. Our room was lovely, very spacious and warm, with a walk in shower, and roll top bath. The toiletries are really lovely.

Service throughout the evening was exceptional, the staff seem to really take pleasure and enjoyment in their work.

Highly recommended, can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can.
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed here for a one night dinner bed & breakfast package to celebrate my birthday. We have stayed at several others in the Hotel du Vin chain so knew what to expect. We had a very large room with a lovely bathroom. There are areas where it looks like the decor is getting a bit tired - the walls could do with a bit of decorating and some chipped plaster on the walls doesn't look great - but for the special deal rate it was certainly worth it. We had a drink in the bar before dinner - the bar, not the pub - we went down to look at the pub but it looked very noisy so went back up to the bar which was perfect - nice comfy sofas and candlelight and I had a very nice glass of champagne. We then went to the restaurant and had a fantastic meal - we got a far better choice than we should have done as the waitress gave us the standard menu instead of (as we found out later) a fixed price menu. Anyway, it was absolutely sublime food - really good. We also had a wonderful breakfast the next morning although I wasn't very hungry as I'd eaten so much the night before. When we went to check out, we'd been charged an additional £50 food supplement which was a major shock, but when I asked why the receptionist checked and found that we hadn't been given the correct fixed price menu and removed the supplement. So yes, we got a fabulous deal - but with the standard of food, I think even with the fixed price menu it would have been excellent.

Other points: the location is excellent - easy walking distance to the Christmas market which was on when we visited, and to the Bullring shopping centre. Parking: we paid the £20 charge for overnight parking - well worth it to save hassle looking for a car park. Spa: I didn't try the spa and wish I had done - will definitely give it a try next time.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Hotel du Vin is something different. Dark decor, rooms with names (of wines and spirits) not numbers, quirky interesting buildings with a history. Even "do not disturb" is far too unrefined for the door label's real meaning. We remember the Birmingham Hotel du Vin as the Birmingham Eye Hospital from a much more austere era than now - we even took one of our children there when they and we were much younger to get there eye fixed. Our second visit was something of a different experience. The place itself has a sense of history, of presence, as if the building is aware that it has a new lease of life and is making the most of it.

The only downside is that the hotel lacks a real lobby, but that would probably spoil the feel of the place. A central covered courtyard (atrium is the wrong word) provides space to meet and drink. It houses a city centre pub below stairs (right place for it) and a Champagne and cocktail bar where you can disappear into the sofas, have private conversations with partners and speculate on the histories of others in the shadows.

The bistro is an intimate affair mixing diners from the hotel and the Birmingham nightlife. The only place where my French accent has been complimented by a waitress with a broad Brummie accent (not Black Country for those who know the area)! But that's what makes it interesting. The food is good, well presented and with a discrete and professional service.

But the best it yet to come. Breakfast.

In the morning the Bistro transforms into a bustling breakfast event. Freshly squeezed juice, all of pastry, fruits, cereals and breads that you might desire and beautifully cooked breakfast without a hint of grease. Add the coffee and the Sunday papers and there is nothing more that one needs.

As you may have guessed, we love it.

Reviewed 1 January 2013

We visited this hotel / bar / restaurant when it first opened and it was truly wonderful. However, when we visited on 28/12/12 we had a different experience. Initially our drinks in the bar were great and we had a great cocktail but later that evening when I requested some toothpaste from reception I was informed the hotel had run out and they didn't know if the local shops were open or not. I felt neither answer was good enough for a hotel of this quality. The real disappointment came in the morning when we didn't get the wake up call we had ordered at check-in and overslept, resulting in a chaotic, hungry and rushed morning which certainly was not what we wantes prior to our major wedding commitments of that day. I have since heard this company is allegedly in receivership. Certainly not good enough and way below previous standards.

Room Tip: Massive Bed in the Bollinger Suite
1  Thank wheath1