“Not cheap but decent quality”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #31 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The hotel is a short walk from Snow Hill station and a slightly longer walk from New Street station.
The room was very spacious and had all the usual trappings you might expect from a hotel charging what it does plus a couple you might not - a king size bed, iron and ironing board, mini-bar, kettle and Nespresso machine. The hotel offers Free Wi-fi which was useful as it allows work to be carried out at the desk in the room.
The bathroom again is spacious and had a stand alone bath and a large walk in shower.
There is some noise from the street outside but nothing too untoward for a city centre.
Not cheap but worth a look

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,650)

Reviewed 15 March 2013

A really beautiful hotel right in the heart of the best bit of Birmingham. Walking distance to train and shopping as well as many fantastic restaurants. Our room was large with a very nice, large bathroom with bathtub. Everything was spotless and we had a very comfortable stay. We ate in the Bistro and throughly enjoyed our meal. Great selection of wine (as the name suggests).

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I have used this hotel for many functions and eaten at the bistro on numerous occasions but have never stayed here, until last week. I like this place, its a great building and the bar has a really nice atmosphere. However my first stay was tainted by the attitude of two members of staff. Firstly on check in the girl had that "i really dont want to be here" look and just couldnt look us in the eye. Then this was followed by similar treatment from a different team member in the bar. The GM really needs to change their recruitment policy. I will not be returning.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Dear Lexigull

I am so sorry to hear that your stay was marred by two members of my team.

I joined the hotel in October of last year and since then nobody has taken up a position without my second interview involvement. I think this is critical when you take responsibility for a business. The success of this hotel or any other hinges entirely on the guest experience delivered by the people you come into contact with during your stay and we cannot afford to be represented by somebody having an off day.

I know my team at large would be disappointed to read your comments as we use Trip Advisor to reward and recognise our team and learn from our mistakes. I hope you may consider returning in the future. I know I would personally love the opportunity to find out more about your experience so that I can share that tangible information with my colleagues.

Sincere thanks for your very useful feedback.

Best regards, Tony Elvin

Reviewed 13 March 2013

Stayed for one night on a business trip.

The service was variable - in the restaurant at dinner it was good, at breakfast our server was unfriendly and unsmiling. The service lacked professionalism.

Our room was freezing cold - draughty windows - and noisy - the double glazing was inadequate. It was a cold night but it should not have been draughty in the way it was. We had to borrow an additional electric heater and could not open the blind due to the draught.

The room was also very dark - the lighting was poor. On the plus side the bed was comfortable.

The bathroom needed a facelift - perfectly serviceable - but a little tired.

No in room safe which is a pain. On the plus side - fresh milk for tea and coffee.

Breakfast was good, as was the food at dinner. Wine choice as you would expect was excellent.

Overall I would stay again - but the hotel could do with addressing some areas.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear Suzanne

Thank you for you taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay overall, particularly the food from our talented chefs and I am very appreciative of your constructive feedback.

You may be interested to hear that our bedrooms will be refurbished later this year which will rectify some of the points you raised.

Your comments have been shared with my team to help us improve our service also.

Best regards and many thanks once again.

I hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Best regards, Tony

Reviewed 11 March 2013

Lovely staff and atmosphere to this place, but sadly the decor is very tired and it was very disappointing to find ugly brown stains on the bedroom ceiling and mouldy bathroom tiles. However, the room had a huge bed, loads of space, fantastic shower (bathroom enormous). Had lunch Saturday in the Pub du Vin downstairs, very cosy little place with nice bar food menu at reasonable prices. Breakfast on Sunday morning lovely. Quick and polite service, and great full cooked breakfast, freshly squeezed OJ, endless rounds of toast, fruit, croissants etc. Enjoyed our stay, but they really, really need to redecorate! There are other hotels in Birmingham offering better quality rooms for the same money.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2013 via mobile

Our trip to the hotel was simply on impulse to be honest, one of my best yet! I started off in the spa, which was very friendly and a calm environment. I was given a fresh robe & slippers and shown to the ladies changing area, clean to a satisfactory level I'd say. I was asked to change and wait for my therapist in what looked to be a lovely relaxing room however my therapist was ready before me so off we went to the treatment room. Again, lovely. I had a neck and back massage that was so therapeutic it sent me to sleep, after this is was walked back to the changing room and shown where the steam room was. Due to plans I had to get changed and dash.

Now for the room, beautiful. Even the bathroom was spacious, a quote from my partner "I feel like I'm peeing in a field" sorry if TMI! It was literally that big, the bath was a gorgeous roll top bath, ever so deep. I've never had such a relaxing soak. The walk in shower was also incredible.

We actually went out for a meal, but on our way back popped in to the bar. We were welcomed with big smiles from the bar staff, we had a few cocktails before asking the waitress if she wouldn't mind making one I'd come across before but isn't generally seen in bars/pubs etc, she was more than happy to and in fact it was the best one yet!

Overall our stay was wonderful, staff were friendly and helpful, and the overall cleanliness is was what one would expect for the price paid. Although saying that, we did book via trivago so the bill was just the cherry on top of a beautiful cake.

Well done to the staff at Hotel Du Vin, and thank you

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 5 March 2013

The hotel is in a great location and is well presented throughout. The room we stayed in (Bollinger) was fantastic, huge, lovely bed and the bathroom is superb (best shower ever). The bar downstairs is very nice although a little small. We ate at the restaurant for both dinner and breakfast, which was included in the rate. Both were very disappointing, we sent the breakfast back as the poached eggs were raw. To sum up great hotel shame about the food.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple