“Watch out for additional tax and service charges!!”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #31 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Shropshire, United Kingdom
“Watch out for additional tax and service charges!!”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Ate at the restaurant within hotel Du Vin on Saturday 6th April, booked through " Get me a table" price of meal not too bad £23.95 each for a three course but certainly nothing special. Bearing in mind two of us driving and we are not excessive drinkers we were a little shocked when the bill arrived at the end of the evening. Total cost £170. Drinks were expensive but the 20% vat on everything and 10% service charge which equated to £30 is just too much. Plus the opportunity to leave a gratuity if you wish - I don't think so, and I will not be going back.

Room Tip: Don't open a tab at the bar until you have checked out prices.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear Amanda

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience at Hotel du Vin Birmingham. I am pleased that you found the £23.95 price for 3 courses good value through Bookatable.

However, I must point out that we definitely do NOT apply any additional VAT to your bill. The VAT is broken down for tax purposes only and is very much included within the £23.95.

We are also state clearly on the menu that a discretionary 10% service charge will be added to your bill. If the service you received did not meet your expectations in any way we certainly would not expect you to pay this.

I hope I have been able to clear up any concerns you may have relating to your bill. There really are no hidden charges.

Kindest regards, Tony

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

Not totally my cup of tea due to the rooms feeling cold and empty. Tv was far too small and to me just felt lots of space and no warmth to hold the atmosphere! Very expensive for what it was.. But clean and good customer care..

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Claireegirl

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry to hear that despite your 4/5 rating you wouldn't return as you didn't feel it was your cup of tea.

I would love the opportunity to challenge your view as I am sure we could find you a room that ticks all the right boxes for you. We have 66 very different rooms, some light a airy, some warmer and more intimate. We are also in the process of replacing all of our TVs with larger HD Smart TVs.

Next time you are looking to stay in Brimingham, please let me know. I am sure we can find the perfect room for you to match the good customer care and cleanliness that you have already experienced.

Best regards, Tony Elvin
Devon UK
Reviewed 10 April 2013

It's actually taken me a while to get round to writing this, plus, I was waiting to see if the manager was as good as his word, which incidentally he wasn't, par for the course.
We had a booked a suite that I had already thought was over priced for a stay during the Spring Fair in early February. When we got to the room it was like the black hole of Calcutta with only one quite small window which over looked a roof. The furnishings were tired, the carpet was thin and cheap and my heart immediately sank. Although this was a business trip, when paying so much money one expects at least light and nice surroundings.
However, if the room was a let down the bathroom was the real piece de resistance. The chrome around the edge of the glass bricks had something (possibly vomit) splattered on it, the grout was a veritable playground for bacteria, the toilet lid stuck to the seat and the pointless bit of decking at the end of the shower had a strip dislodged with visible nails, oh and the 'shiny white enamel' bath was a matt faintly yellow colour. Is there ANY excuse for this?
We persevered (which frankly we shouldn't have) and booked a table in the restaurant. First thing to note is that it was ridiculously hot, very uncomfortable, still, push on. We tried to order a bottle of wine and were told we'd have to see the Sommelier. We didn't need the blasted Sommelier, we knew exactly what we wanted, another 20 minutes passed and still no sign of anyone taking our wine order. When the 'Sommelier' eventually appeared at our table (by which time we'd drunk a litre of water thanks to the heat) she appeared to be no more than a rather surly waitress. Anyway the wine eventually arrived followed by mediocre food served in miniscule portions. By now our patience were running out and we headed to bed.
Now I know you cannot legislate for stupidity or selfish behaviour, but you can surely soundproof to a degree that at least you don't hear the person above taking a pee and whistling at 5am?
The next morning we were tired but still the bafoonish service wasn't over, breakfast was a bit of a fiasco, my husband's chair had a nail sticking out of it and his request for no baked beans bore...you got it, beans in abundance, I couldn't cut my sausage, it had skin thicker than Cherie Blair.
Having said all that, the bar staff were good and the service the next morning at breakfast was much better but we did cancel our table in the Bistro for the following evening, were weren't about to go through that again.
At check out I explained my grievances to two 'managers' before finally speaking to someone who had the authority to give the discount I felt was only just for our awful stay. He explained that the hotel was due for refurbishment and that he would email later that week to invite us for a free stay. I wouldn't go back anyway but his email never arrived which about sums up the incompetence of this place.
It is a shame as it could be nice and is in a good location but it is run largely by people who don't care - they are however enthusiastic when it comes to taking your money.
Never again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DFADevonUK
Dear DFADevonUK

Thank you for taking the time to post details of your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am not surprised by the tone of the review given our repeated failures to try and put this right for you. It was me that should have followed our conversation up with an email, something I thought I had done. Clearly and regrettably I have to acknowledge that this did not happen.

Please accept my deepest apologies.

I have managed to find your details in our booking system and will contact you directly.

Tony
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Beautiful hotel set near the city. The rooms are small but the bathrooms are beautiful with massive showers and lovely products. The restaurant was really good and both bars offer a wide choice. Expensive but nice as a special treat.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dear star2004_11

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. I am delighted to hear you had such an enjoyable stay.

We looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards, Tony

PS We also have some absolutely HUGE rooms, one even has it's own gym. Have a look next time you book.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

It was actually July 2011 that I stayed here but unable to go back to that year and only writing the review now as currently have the 'review' bug. My partner took me for for a surprise (even though we actually live in Birmingham) for a night away from the children and I love every minute of it. We never used the spa or Bistro so cannot comment on those but the superior room was fantastic and the bathroom was totally unexpected. It was almost the size of the room with a lovely big window, free standing bath and wonderful walk in drench shower. But anyway, HDV are not the cheapest of hotels but who cares with bathrooms like that.

Room Tip: Always go for the superior rooms if possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear EbonyChantelle

Thank you for your wonderful review.

Please don't leave it so long to come back, even perhaps just for dinner?

We have some fantastic late deals during the school holidays etc. Do have a look at prices during the Summer when you can be sure to grab a bargain.

Hoping to welcome you back soon.

Best regards, Tony
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

I didn't stay in the hotel, but my mum had and she told me that they were lovely so that's where I got my 5/5 for rooms from. Now to the meal, the service was a bit slow but it was a saturday night and there was a 21st birthday party going on and the place was packed, rightfully so. For the starter, I had the french onion soup, a delight to say the least, it was filled with flavour and on top was a layer of cheese, it was cooked to perfection and had a very homey feel to it. For the main course , all three of us had the moules frites, mussels in a white wine, cream and onion sauce with chips, not just any chips, they were thin, converting my mum, a chunky chip lover, and the mussels were tender and the sauce was mouth-wateringly good, ive requested to go there again, hungry for mire

• Stayed January 2013
Dear madgirl200

Thank you for your kind review, I love the subject name and reading it has made me feel quite hungry.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon I hope.

Best regards and thanks again, Tony
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Stayed here in late February for a work evening / retirement dinner. After being in a conference all day I have to say I was looking forward to getting checked in and unwinding before dinner. Not really the hotels fault but they don't have parking on site, although do charge a £25 valet charge to park your car round the corner. I took the option to park the car myself and walked back.

2 people on check in who knew what they were doing but given the rate card didn't do the best job of making me feel welcomed. They were efficient and pleasant enough but then as we all turned up across a half hour stretch they were probably keen to get us all booked in. It did feel like it lacked warmth and I stayed in the Tonbridge Wells one in December and it felt a far nicer experience.

Hotel is set in a lovely old building and is very traditional inside with a beautiful old traditional lift.

Room was huge and lovely. Great bed and lovely bedding. Stunning bathroom and really nicely finished. I did note some of the comments from other readers about being shabby and in all fairness my room really came up to scratch. Had to remember to close the blinds however as there is an office block opposite!

Dinner was served in a lovely private dining room so no complaints there, food to a good standard, and well prepared and presented.

Bar area was busy afterwards so clearly a popular haunt.

If you can get a deal on one of these hotels they are nice for a night or a weekend away.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear flumph77

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay.

I am delighted to hear you had a great stay overall but note that check in could have been friendlier. I will certainly share that information with my team to help us be more consistent and welcoming.

I hope you return for business or pleasure in the near future. I would be really keen to hear your feedback once again and to see if you have noticed any improvements.

Kindest regards, Tony