“Fabulous room!”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #35 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The hotel was extremely busy and we were upgraded to a small suite which was fantastic and had a basement bathroom! The bar in the hotel is great but the basement style pub is a little on the grim side. The location is fantastic and within easy walking distance of the train station, some great restaurants and bars. Breakfast was excellent and there was plenty of choice. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jayne8914
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Dear Jayne

Thank you for leaving such a great review. It is fantastic to hear you enjoyed your stay so much and in particular the bedroom, Bubble Lounge Bar and your breakfast in the Bistro.

I'm sorry the Pub decor downstairs didn't tick any boxes for you but we have really tried to create a different feel and experience to the upstairs Champagne bar by offering a real Pub with Cask Ales, Pub Grub & Live Sport on TV in a comfortable and eclectic Great British Pub style.

I appreciate this may not be for everyone so we'll save you a space at the upstairs Bar with a bottle of something cold on ice.

Hope to see you again soon, Tony

Write a ReviewReviews (1,673)

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Stayed here with business colleagues. Superficially the hotel looks attractive but in places tatty eg torn wall covering in lift, Overflow cover missing in bathroom. Hot water is DANGEROUSLY hot.
Service at private function was good and food excellent.

However checkout in the morning an utter shambles - big queue and just one person (slow) on duty. Service at breakfast very tardy and eventually had to leave before ordered items were ready.

Needs a good shake up!

Room Tip: At the back
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LesStaffordshire
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Dear Lee

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that your stay here did not live up to expectations and it is awful to hear you say that service was badly lacking, with service being something we are known for delivering with panache.

We did have a difficult breakfast last weekend and have paid the price with a number very recent negative Trip Advisor reviews. We acknowledge the problems encountered and have no intention of letting them re surface.

With regard to the hotel looking tired in places, you may be pleased to hear that the hotel is due for a a refurbishment which will commence this year and eliminate any of these little niggles.

The hot water is very hot to ensure we reach the required core temperatures to prevent any risk of Legionella within the hotel. We also put clear signage on the taps to ensure our guests are safe. Imminent works to our hot water system will give us better control over the hot water and allow us to reduce the temperature in some rooms whilst still maintaining the right temperature in others.

I do hope you will give us another try so that you can experience the levels of service that earnt us our Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence. This was attained by consistently delivering an average of 4 out of 5 stars for service standards.

If you wish to discuss your concerns further, please do not hesitate to contact me at tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com

Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Business Stay Review: this hotel is a 5 min walk from Birmingham New Street station, and on arrival it took reception ages to find my reservation and check my room availability. However, they did have changing facilities so I did not need my room. I stayed in June so the weather was humid, and the hotel did not have adequate air con. My room had an amazing shower and coffee machine. The sound proofing should be improved, I could hear my neighbour. Overall the experience was good, and the location was great. The conference facilities were rubbish, and the work buffet lunch came out on trays over a half hour period. This hotel is great for a weekend break, but poor for business

1  Thank GarethWilliams1
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Dear Gareth

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

It is great to see that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay but disappointing to learn that there were other areas where we did not perform. Please accept my apologies for this.

I would be grateful if you were able to supply me with further details on why you did not rate our usually popular conference facilities and what enhancements you would like to see. We are always striving to improve and your feedback will be invaluable.

I can be reached via email at tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Having stayed here before with no issues I was extremely disappointed when our breakfast was dreadful, raw eggs and bacon on one, bacon harder than pork scratchings on another, boiled egg and soldiers with eggs that had been boiled until almost powdered, and raw sausage, they charge almost £17 for the privilege of trying to give you food poisoning, lovely hotel in general rooms are clean but steer clear of the restaurant!

1  Thank Sally R
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Dear Sally

I am so sorry that our recent service delivery fell so far short of your justified expectations as a previous guest.

We do usually get it right but it was clear that we did not get it right for you and other breakfast diners on this particular day. Nevertheless I must reassure you that despite our obvious shortfalls on this day, we would never present our guests with any risks to their health. We operate under the strictest food hygience guidelines ensuring that all food reaches the required core temperatures during the cooking process.

I take your comments very seriously and would invite you to contact me directly so that we may discuss your experience in more detail. My email address is tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com

Sincere apologies. I look forward to hopefully speaking to you very soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Stayed for one night recently . Reception and bar staff very pleasant . The room was ok looked a bit tired needed more pillows on the bed . Fresh milk in fridge was a nice touch . Saturday morning breakfast was a disaster We waited 50 mins and no hot food arrived so we walked out sooooooo slow put me off returning how do they manage in the week when people have business committments

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sue j

Dear Sue

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor.

I am so sorry to hear of your disappointing and frustrating Breakfast experience. This is not how we do things at Hotel du Vin and I am so sorry that the memories of your stay with us were so tarnished by the last element of your stay. You questioned how we cope when people are operating with time constraints during the week, fortunately your experience is not typical or we would be out of business.

I would relish the opportunity to put this right, so please drop me an email at tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com .

Kindest regards and sincere apologies once again, Tony

Reviewed 22 June 2013

We have been here in the past on more than one occasion, the last time a few years ago. We have in the past been impressed by the service, the wine, the rooms and the standard of the food.

The room as great and in general the service was too. The food was good, but this is somewhere where the food was once great. They accomdated the kids really well both in the room and also in the restaurant. It was a great stay, just tinged with a bit of sadness that while we still liked staying there, and I would recommend it still, it was not as good as it once was.

While this was always the first place we would want to stay when visiting Birmingham, I suspect that the next time we visit, we might have a look at what the other places offer.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Captainstarkiller

Dear 'Captainstarkiller'

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences on Trip Advisor.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel du Vin once more and had such a great stay.

However, I'm sorry that we didn't seem to knock your socks off as we may have done previously. This seems to emanate from the menu? As I am sure you would expect, we do change our menus regularly and to reflect the season. Please do keep an eye on our changing menus via the website, we would also be delighted to offer some recommendations based on your preferences next time you dine.

A culinary delight you mustn't miss is our, now legendary, Sunday Brunch. It is a decadent four course adventure with soup to start followed by a visit to our French Market Table offering salads, pates, rillettes, crustacea, anti pasti, smoked salmon and more. Then it's on to your main course where you can choose Roasted Rib of Beef, Normandy Chicken, Steak Frites, Pie du Jour and more. But leave room for dessert. If you can tie this into your next stay I can gaurantee you will be approriately wowed.

I do hope you will return next time you are in Birmingham.

Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night, taking advantage of a special offer through my employers, making the accomodation great value for money. We upgraded to a delux, and was impressed with the room size, decor and fab monsoon shower which was huge. We dined in the bistro and had an excellent chateaubriand, followed by creme brulee. Attentive staff, great menu, and beautiful surroundings. 2 negatives: 1 the pillows are so soft, they practically disappear! Made full use of scatter cushions to offer some support!! 2 The room doors are poorly insulated around the frames, meaning inconsiderate guests could be heard arriving/leaving with door slams every hour! The door locks are also traditional style with a key, so again, very noisy in action. I know the hotel cant prevent people being inconsiderate, but better insulated doors/resistance springs would certainly help with a better nights sleep! Neither minor moans would put us off staying again, as all in all, beautiful place, well run, and real value. We will return (with earplugs!)

Dear 'Cookie12366'

Thank you for your lovely feedback, I am delighted to hear you had such a great time.

We very much look forward to welcoming.