“4th mini break here.... Always a pleasure”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #30 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Exceedingly great food and service in the bistro, better value then most people would expect!
Check in is swift as usual and usually options to upgrade at good rates!
However this time due to not being in the hotel much we are in a standard double which is more then ample
Big room, all amenities

Will be staying here again..!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank looboo500
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Dear "looboo500"

It is always great to hear from a returning guest and it is brilliant to know that you feel compelled to leave another 5 star review. Thank you so much, it means a lot to my team and I who really care about the feedback we receive from our guests.

We very much look forward to delivering you another 5 star experience next time. Why not ask for me at reception? It would be great to say hello.

Best regards from Tony and the team

There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin & Bistro

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We decided to have a mid week treat and booked a last minute room at the Hotel du Vin. The room was up in the eaves on the top floor, bright and airy with lots of little luxuries. The bathroom was to die for and the roll top bath absolute heaven after a busy day. The staff were friendly and helpful and there really was nothing to fault about our stay apart from it being too short. Definitely the only place I want to stay in Birmingham.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wanderer035

Dear "wanderer035"

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor community.

We avidly read the reviews to see how we can improve and I know my team were delighted to read your 5 star review.

You said the only thing wrong last time was that your stay was too short . . . we can fix that I'm sure!!

We look forward to welcoming you back next time you leave London for England's second city.

Best regards and thanks again, Tony

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Had a really poor stay earlier in the year & Tony Galvin GM contacted us in order to offer us a revisit & demonstrate the reason why it has so many good reviews.our secong stay was great, really nice comfy room & large bathroom.we had dinner in the Bistro & breakfast tje next morning there. Food was very good as was tje service. We're glad we were given the opportunity to revisit. Looking forward to seeing it after its full renovation later in the year. THANKS to Tony & team.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank ASJN

Dear "ASJN"

Thank you so much for coming back and giving us another try. We let you down last time so it was a huge relief that not only were you prepared to come back but that we were able to redeem ourselves somewhat.

So, actually it's THANKS to YOU!!

Here's to many more enjoyable stays in the future I hope.

Kindest regards, Tony and team

Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Great central location on a quiet street. Clean and well equipped. I have never had a hotel bath which filled so quickly and a good length too. The shower was excellent also.
Great bed but could do with a bit more room to walk around. Needs a light over the desk and a bit more shelf space in the bathroom.

The entrance is darkly lit and the stair carpet will need replacing between levels 1 and 2 very soon.

Very relaxing, we would go again and they take your car and park it too.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Caroline W

Dear Caroline

Thank you for your great review and for choosing to stay at Hotel du Vin.

I'm sure we can find you a room with more space next time you stay, some are big enough for a game of 5 a side football!

You have been very kind about the carpet on the stairs but that is fortunately due to be replaced along as part of our refurbishment very soon. We will also be taking the opportunity to increase the lighting in around the hotel and making sure there is a desk lamp at every desk.

I hope we have the opportunity to see you again very soon.

Best regards, Tony

Reviewed 30 July 2013

I recently needed a bed in Birmingham, for a single night and at short notice. I knew that this meant any 'crash-pad' chains were going to be expensive ... and they were.

So I was really surprised to find this quality hotel was offering rooms within my budget (of around £100 per night).

If you don't already know, Hotel du Vin is a pretty decent chain with, imo, well fitted out rooms, decent facilities and a slightly 'quirky / boutique' feel.

I'd previously considered them only for 'romantic-type' city weekend breaks, rather than for a business trip on a budget.

So my advice is include them in your searches when looking for a room. You may well be pleasantly surprised. I hope so ...

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Martin M

Dear Martin

Thank you for your great review and also for the good advice you have shared about our pricing.

Hotel du Vin doesn't operate at the cheaper end of the market but we always strive to deliver great value and there are excellent deals to be had when you book at the right time.

Understandably, Hotel du Vin Brighton will always be the more popular option in the middle of Summer but equally that makes Birmingham even greater value during these months as we're so far from the seaside.

Look out for great deals all year around on Fridays and Sundays too. We currently do half price champagne on a Friday and a great Sunday night offer where you pay for dinner and get a room for £25.

We hope to see you again soon Martin.

Best regards, Tony

Reviewed 26 July 2013

We stayed at the Birmingham Hotel du Vin on a last minute decision, and did not regret. We had a good room, especially considering that we rang to book only half an hour before arrival.The food at the Bistro was excellent, but the thing which made our stay most enjoyable was the above and beyond service. Very well trained, courteous staff, who could not have been more helpful. We encountered a problem with our car on departure, and this was dealt with most helpfully, and efficiently. Thanks particularly go to the Manager, Tony Elvin, and to the Reception staff. We will definitely return if in the area again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear "weekendstays"

Thank you for your wonderful review and for your understanding when something didn't run according to plan. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and that my team and I lived up to your service expectations.

I hope we may have the opportunity to look after you again in future and thank you once again, most sincerely, for your kind comments. It was our pleasure to have the opportunity to look after you.

Kindest regards, Tony and the team

Reviewed 26 July 2013

I always got the impression Hotel Du Vin hotels were too expensive and hadn't really considered them in the past, but we got a room on a Friday night for 2 including breakfast for £99 which I think is not bad considering the location and quality. Top points - very helpful staff, massive comfy bed, "proper coffee" machine in the room, amazing drencher shower, tasty and interesting breakfast. I wouldn't have wanted to pay extra for the cooked breakfast element though which comes in at an eye watering £17 or so.

I'd definitely go back if I happened to need a night over in Birmingham!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Waytooslow

Dear "Waytooslow"

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your subsequently positive review.

I am so pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay and that you found it great value too. Friday night is often the source of a good deal at Hotel du Vin Birmingham because it isn't located in what you might consider a typical weekend break location, which is a shame as Birmingham has really transformed over the past 10-15 years and there is so much to see and do.

Thank you also for taking time out to praise the team here. We all avidly read the Tripadvisor reviews to see how we are doing and what we can do better.

Breakfast is much better value than you have counted on though. As you were already on a Breakfast rate, the cooked breakfast would have only cost you an extra £3. I'm so sorry we did not make that clearer to you.

So, there's a great excuse to come back. We'll see if we can get you to a 5 star review experience next time with our Eggs Benedict or Full English Breakfast!

Best regards, Tony and team