“Great Room”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #30 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Stayed in a deluxe suite and was very impressed with room and both evening meal and breakfast. Service was excellent especially evening staff in restaurant. Would certainly stay again and already making plans.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Philip

Thank you for your wonderful review and for choosing to stay at Hotel du Vin Bimringham.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed the service you experienced from my team so much. I will thank the Bistro team in particular!

It is great to hear you are already planning your return visit. If you would like some advice on things to do and see when you are next in Birmingham, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards and thank you from Tony and the team

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Just wanted to thank the staff who looked after us two nights running for drinks with our kids and family. On the fri the three staff who served us couldn't have done more to make our visit enjoyable. Service was good, they helped us with drinks for the kids and just went that extra mile. One member of the team asked us our plans for the next day and gave us time great tourism advice. We were so impressed we returned with our family the following evening.

It's a lovely setting, relaxing and quite grown up but we were so pleased we weren't made uncomfortable having the kids with us. So thank you. Got a great team of staff and we look forward to returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Katherine

Thank you for your lovely review and for choosing to stay at Hotel du Vin.

Hotel du Vin is quite a grown up environment so when we get the opportunity to look after some well behaved children like yours, it is a real treat for the team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the future. Why not drop us a note when you next book and we'll see what else we can reccommend for you to do in advance of your return? There are some cracking family days out in Birmingham and plenty to keep you going for a good few more visits.

Thank you once again, Tony and the team

Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on a room, breakfast and evening meal deal twice... Once for my 30th in a suite which was amazing. . Roll top bath and separate shower. Really lovely and then in a standard room. Couldn't fault the staff at any point very helpful and friendly especially in the restaurant when choosing a meal and wine. Especially love the peach Bellinis from the bar... bit pricey but worth it and obviously made from top quality ingredients. I keep asking my other half when we are going back.....

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear "gonegirl31"

Thank you for posting such a positive review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted you chose to stay at Hotel du Vin again and even more chuffed that you enjoyed your stay so much.

I hope you have managed to set a date with your "other half" for that return visit. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards and thanks again, Tony and team

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed for a Saturday night. Stayed at this hotel about 5 years ago and nothing has changed. I would say it is now in need of a refurb, certainly in the bedrooms. Any shabbiness is hidden by the decor style in the communal areas but it is obvious in the bedrooms. The bathroom in particular needs a regrout and mould removal. Our room was also quite small. It did not suggest 'luxury'. The building itself is impressive and location is great. Breakfast is fine though you have to pay extra for a cooked breakfast. It also struck me as self-serving for a sizeable hotel to start breakfast at 8 - unfortunately life cannot always be run on a lie-in, take it easy basis.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear JoGE74

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I am pleased to hear that you appreciated the location, good breakfast and the building itself, although very sorry to hear of course that you were disappointed by the standard and condition of your room. It is not acceptable that you found the bathroom needed attention.

I am pleased to inform you that a refurbishment of the hotel is imminent and investment has already begun following the purchase of Hotel du Vin just a few months ago. Already we have replaced all of the bedroom TVs from small analogue TVs to new large flatscreen Smart TVs. Investment is continuing around the hotel including the bedrooms and bathrooms.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future to see the improvements for yourself. Should you wish to leave me your details I will make sure you are the first to be informed of such improvements.

Best regards, Tony

tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Lovely building, service excellent but food very ordinary. Menu promises but doesn't deliver on quality of cooking. I love straightforward cooking but this just wasn't up to scratch. Always grates having to pay extra for side dishes too.

• Stayed: August 2013
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Dear Sue

Thank you for choosing to dine in our Bistro and for sharing your comments with our Trip Advisor community.

It is great to hear that you like the building and felt that our service excelled but such a shame to hear that you did not enjoy your dinner and felt it was overpriced.

It would be a great help to learn more about your dining experience and I would invite you to contact me to discuss the matter further. I can be reached on this email address: tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com

We strive to deliver fantastic, fresh cooked, Anglo-French cuisine and this has helped us earn our two AA Rosettes.

Value is also incredibly important to us and we have a number of great value ways to dine:
Al Fresco Menu offering 3 courses and half a bottle of wine for just £25
Our decadent 4 course feast of a Sunday Brunch which includes a visit to our famous French Market table featuring Crustacea, Anti Pasti, Fresh Salads, Artisan Breads and cured meats, followed by a traditional Roast, Steak Frites, fresh fish and more for just £22.95 per head.
Our Stardeal is also worth taking a look at online for 3 courses with a glass of Prosecco for just £23.50.
September 16th sees the return of our popular Pre Fixe menu with similar pricing to our current Al Fresco menu but with a changing daily selection of Specials from our Chef Mark Nind.

I sincerely hope we are able to speak so that I can find out exactly where we went wrong but also hope that you will give us another try in the future so that you can see why we are such a popular dining destination.

Kindest regards and thank you once again, Tony

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights on business recently and was thoroughly impressed with the hotel and its staff. The building is a former Eye Hospital with vast ceilings and original stone spiral staircases. My room (Krug) was enormous with a huge bathroom containing a roll top bath and a walk in monsoon shower. The staff on reception were extremely helpful, arranging for boxes of work files to be delivered before my arrival, printing off documents during my stay, ordering taxis and recommending local restaurants. The breakfast was also fantastic - a wide range of continental goodies at the buffet and a good selection of cooked breakfasts. The only drawback of my stay was the noise of the construction next door which went on throughout the night. When I asked if there was any chance of moving to a quieter room at the front, I was told I would have to pay for an upgrade or move to a much smaller room. I opted to buy some earplugs but light sleepers should ask for a room at the front. I would definitely return. The hotel is brilliantly located in the centre of town within walking distance to all of the shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Krug is an enormous room with a great roll top bath and monsoon shower but it was noisy due to const...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Legallyblonde81
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear LegallyBlonde81

Thank you so much for your fantastic review. It sounds like you had a very enjoyable stay and with great service from my colleagues. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor community.

I couldn't help but notice that your sleep was disturbed however, by construction work taking place at night. There should be no such works taking place in the area without prior notice to the hotel and I have taken this up with the local council. I can assure you that this is not a regular occurrence and you should not be worried that this might affect future stays.

Thanks once again for the review, we'll see if we can get you up to 5 stars next time!

Best regards, Tony and team

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Another stay here, luxury - although we hadn't booked a de luxe room this time! Experienced excellent service, even when breakfast was a long wait, the maitre de was very attentive and made sure we were well looked after on the second morning. Above and beyond. However, we did experience the worst of service when we arrived and my daughter was referred to as "she" by a shirty receptionist. Overall another wonderful stay in a beautiful environment. Shall visit again.

Room Tip: I would search out another car park before going again as the valet parking is £20.00 per day. There...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Wooxi

Dear Wooxi

Thank you for taking the time to leave your positive review about Hotel du Vin.

I am delighted to hear about the service you received in our Bistro and of your enjoyment overall. However, I am of course, disappointed to hear about your experience at the reception desk. I would love the opportunity to follow this up and would really appreciate it if you could email me with your details so that I can identify who checked you in or even just to let me know what day you checked in and at what time.

The point of arrival can often make or break a short stay and I would really like to be able to pick this up with the colleague who made this error to prevent such problems recurring. My email address is tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com

Finally, regarding the car park. You raise a good point and there are a few options locally.

Parking metres are available all around the hotel and there is no charge after 7.30pm, this is a good option if you are arriving later and leaving early as many of our business guests do. However, you will need to go and feed the metre at 7am when the parking bays are chargeable the next morning.

Snow Hill Multi Story Car Park - this is £10.80 per 24 hours and is the most cost effective, just a short walk from the hotel (one block). The car park is accessible between 6am and 10pm Monday to Saturday and 8am to 9pm Sundays.

Valet Parking - this is £20 and best for convenience and security. Just leave us with your keys on arrival and we will park your prized car in a secured, guarded area within the Snow Hill Car Park. Your car can be accessed by us 24 hours a day so if you realise you have left something in the boot or glove box, we can collect it for you at anytime, even if the main car park is locked up.

Thank you once again for your review. I do hope you are able to supply me with a little more info. We look forward to welcoming you back for another enjoyable stay.

Kindest regards, Tony