“Very disappointing stay”

Ranked #32 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Wirral
“Very disappointing stay”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I have stayed at several of the other Hotel Du Vins and alway thoroughly enjoyed them, so when we were visiting Birmingham for a concert we decided to treat ourselves to an overnight stay. We booked online and opted to pay the extra £20 for an upgrade on arrival. The location of the hotel is central and they will valet park your car for another £20, or there is the option of a nearby NCP.
On arrival there was a function going on in the hotel and guests were arriving. There was one man on reception and he seemed to be trying to deal with everyone and everything and was unable to give us any real attention to the point that he handed me a key with a room name on it and then disappeared into the back office without even telling me which floor the room was on !!
There was nobody available to help with luggage , and a general couldn't care less attitude. When we got to our room it was very disappointing. The overall decor was faded and tired and the room itself was very dirty with thick dust on the bedside tissue dispenser and the shower was not clean at all. The pillows were so thin that we had to stack clothes underneath them. We did not stay for breakfast and decided to leave as soon as possible the next morning. On check out the girl on reception asked me in a cursory manner if we had enjoyed our stay without even making eye contact and quite honestly, it was not even worth replying because she clearly wasn't listening to me. We booked this hotel on the basis of past visits to Hotel Du Vin as a treat, but based on this experience, it is doubtful i will choose this brand again. I don't normally write bad reviews because I thing everyone deserves the opportunity to put things right; but the general feeling from the staff we encountered was one of extreme apathy. Think carefully before booking this hotel for anything special.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear "Threestripe"

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel du Vin Birmingham and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

I am so sorry to hear that the service experience you received was so uncharacteristically poor and wish you had explained the problems you encountered to our team on check out after they asked you about your stay.

We would have loved the opportunity to put this right and I am sorry that we had not given you sufficient confidence to be able to do this. I would like to discuss the matter further if you will allow and invite you to drop me a note to tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com

You may be interested to know that we are due for a full refurbishment of the bedrooms in January, which will include new pillows, and I hope that one poor experience after a number of previously good experiences will not put you off returning at some time in the future.

Sincere apologies once again, Tony and team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

What a fabulous hotel with impeccable service. If there is a problem, the staff cannot do enough to put it right. We had a beautiful evening in the snuggle bar where excellent staff offered a taste of the wine on offer before we bought. Back in the room, the bathroom was divine with lively snuggle robes, the bed sooo comfortable, although the pillows a bit too soft, and the mini bar was of such good quality and variety. A very special night spent here. We will return because we also had a beautiful breakfast with an amazing choice and lively staff x

1 Thank Julie H
Dear Julie

Thank you for taking the time to share such a fantastic review.

I am so pleased to hear you had such a good stay and were wowed by the service you received from my team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back. (PS we are changing the pillows as part of our refurbishment in January.

Many thanks once again, Tony and team
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I have stayed at the hotel many times - the only negative is no parking (it is in the City Center) which can be a pain if lots of luggage and making sure the car park you chose is safe.
That aside if you get one of the larger Executive rooms they are much better with large showers and that bit more space if two of you. I love the bar and they know how to serve drinks , the restaurant is fine and works well if you are travelling alone. As we any city center you will probably want to go out and explore the many nearby restaurants. Certainly recommend on location for walking to shops and the sites and very friendly helpful staff.

Room Tip: Executive room with large floor space and bathroom with huge shower room
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear "Trish M"

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience on Tripadvisor and of course, for choosing to stay at Hotel du Vin.

It is fantastic to hear that you had such a good stay once again, enjoying the location, service form the team and our wonderful Bubble Lounge.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

In the meantime, I have some useful information regarding car parking which may help on future visits:

Parking meters are available all around the hotel and there is no charge after 7.30pm, this is a good option if you are arriving later and leaving early as many of our business guests do. However, you will need to go and feed the metre at 7am when the parking bays are chargeable the next morning.

Snow Hill Multi Story Car Park - this is £10.80 per 24 hours and is the most cost effective, just a short walk from the hotel (one block). The car park is accessible between 6am and 10pm Monday to Saturday and 8am to 9pm Sundays. Why not drop your luggage with us before you go and park the car?

Valet Parking - this is £20 and best for convenience and security. Just leave us with your keys on arrival and we will park your prized car in a secured, guarded area within the Snow Hill Car Park. Your car can be accessed by us 24 hours a day so if you realise you have left something in the boot or glove box, we can collect it for you at anytime, even if the main car park is locked up.

Many thanks once again for your positive review.

Best regards, Tony
Plauen, Germany
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We spent two nights at the hotel. Lovely rooms, everything was reasonably quiet. Great breakfeast, the children were treated very well. Small problem with the wake up calll was sorted out in a very generous and helpgul manner.
Next time Birmingham:HDV!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear "ron s"

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor.

My team and I are delighted to hear that you will be returning to HdV Birmingham again. We very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Thank you also for being so understanding about your early morning call.

Kindest regards, Tony and team
West Mids
Reviewed 30 September 2013

It's really dark, so it looked closed when we got there. Why is it so dark? You have to walk through a murky reception area and right at the back, hidden in the corner is a check-in desk with shadowy figures lurking in semi-darkness. Is that trendy then? I don't know- it just seemed weird.
Going up to the room, the hotel is starting to look a little tired. The walls in the lift are all scuffed and the hall carpets are a bit worn now. One of the blinds in our room was coming off the wall too. I think the place has a refit planned soon so I'm sure they'll scrub up well enough again but in the meantime, maybe they're keeping the lights low to hide the wear and tear?
Our room was a nice size- bigger than some hotel rooms but otherwise unremarkable. It was just more space really. The furniture was nice enough.
Bathrooms are big and they do have fancy roll-top baths but there wasn't a shower attachment on ours. I don't know if we just had bad luck and every single other one does but what's the point? You can have a soak in your fancy roll-top bath but what happens if you want to wash your hair? Get out, towel off, shiver across the bathroom, turn the shower on, wait until the shower heats up and finally wash your hair. Annoying.
Anyway, fine- so you can't see where you're going and you can't wash your hair in the bath but that aside, is it worth staying in HdV? Well, no, not really, sorry. It's not a terrible hotel but it's not all that special either. There's much nicer luxury hotels out there that have a real wow factor and if you're just looking for somewhere to get your head down, then there's much less annoying places too. Everyone else seems to love the place and I'll admit I'm not easily pleased so it might just be me, but there was nothing about the place that would make me recommend it, sorry.
The staff were friendly though :-)

Dear "fickleWestMids"

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel du Vin and for your detailed and rather philosophical review.

I am sorry that we didn't seem to hit the right notes for you but delighted to hear that the service you experienced from my team was so positive.

I agree that the reception area is a little dark and we are looking to address this in January with our extensive upcoming refurbishment programme.

You weren't "unlucky" by not having a shower in the roll top bath, this is the same for all upgraded bedrooms. Our standard rooms have a shower over a traditional bath but everything from Deluxe upwards has a separate roll top bath for relaxing in the bubbles and an invigorating monsoon shower for the more functional cleansing process. The roll top bath is very much a Hotel du Vin signature feature.

The Hotel du Vin concept was originally based on a restaurant with rooms rather than a hotel with a great restaurant. I can't help but feel that by not dining with us in the Bistro, sampling Birmingham's finest wine list or just joining us for cocktails in the bar you missed out on what we're all about.

I hope you will give us another try after our refurbishment where many of the issues you raised will be resolved and you can enjoy our famous hospitality and culinary excellence.

Best regards and thanks again, Tony
Alvechurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

A great stay in city centre hotel. Very good service from polite friendly staff. Room was very good spacious, clean, well appointed, and many creature comforts. Bubbles bar is always enjoyable! Great atmosphere and great staff! Cocktails are excellent! Breakfast was very good and plenty of it. We really enjoyed our stay and will definitely return.

Dear "Jacqulinemole3"

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor community.

I am delighted to hear that you had such a good time and enjoyed so many elements of the hotel . . the best way to enjoy Hotel du Vin I think.

We look forward welcoming you back for more "cocktails and creature comforts."

Best regards and thanks again from Tony and the team
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited Hotel Du Vin for afternoon tea. Firstly the website states afternoon tea is between 2-5pm. However after calling to make a Sunday booking we were told sundAy times are 3.15-4.45pm. We booked 3.15pm. When we got there we advised we had a booking for 3.15pm for afternoon tea and the waiter didn't have a clue about the afternoon tea times. I ordered traditional afternoon tea and my husband ordered traditional afternoon tea with champagne. We noticed other tables received their champagne but my husband hadn't. When the food came they failed to give us jam and clotted cream so I had to ask for it. The selection was disappointing. When my husband went to ask for his champagne there was no one to be seen at the bar. He sat back down to continue eating. We finished and still no champagne. We waiting 5 mins for someone to turn up to the bar to pay. But when we complaining about the disappointing food and the lack of service they did offer us free of charge. Overall I have been to afternoon teas that are a lot better than here.

Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Sanj7
Dear "Sanj7"

Thank you for choosing Hotel du Vin and for leaving a review.

I am so sorry to hear that our service did not come up to scratch but relieved to hear that my team did not charge you for this disappointing experience.

I would very much like the opportunity to discuss this matter with you further, offer my personal apologies and perhaps even introduce you to Aimee, our new Afternoon Tea supervisor. If you would like to see the impact she has made please see the review posted on 23.10.13.

I can be reached at tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com. I look forward to speaking with you soon I hope.

Kind regards and sincere apologies, Tony