“Could do better”

Ranked #32 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Oxon
“Could do better”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I attend a conference at the ICC annually and having grown tired of Malmaison I decided to treat myself to Hotel du Vin. The check-in was the first disappointment with a really rude and insincere girl asking inane questions, with no eye contact made. The same girl booked a taxi for me the following evening and was similarly rude. Check-out was not much better and there was a long queue of people with staff just walking past them and doing nothing to help.
As for the room, it was large and comfortable. The bed was a good size but the pillows dire. The bathroom was large and the shower good but had a tendancy for variable water temperature, running very hot without warning. The main problem was the noise from the room above due to very creaking floor boards. At 2.30 am it sounded like a herd of elephants above me.
Breakfast was OK but not particularly special. On the Friday the service was slow due to a large breakfast meeting taking place in the hotel. I do think that the paying guests should have priority. Overall, room for improvement and staff re-training very necesary.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear SpaldingOxon

Thank you for giving us a try as an alternative to your usual stay at our sister property Malmaison and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am so pleased to hear that you found the bedroom spacious and comfortable. Work has started on a major refurbishment of our bedrooms to give them a real wow factor. That work will be complete in the new year and part of that will be to replace all the soft furnishings, pillows and duvets.

It would be great to get some more feedback regarding your check in experience so I can follow this up with my team and would invite you to contact me by dropping me an email at tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com

I do hope you will try us again as we would love the opportunity to try and correct the issues you experienced on your first visit.

Kindest regards and thanks again, Tony

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Bath
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Always wanted to stay at a Hotel du Vin and decided to stay here on a football weekend. It's lovely and clean and the staff are friendly, but I'm not really sure that the £125 per night price tag is entirely justified. If you like boutique style hotels you will like this place. On the plus side, lovely comfy bed and a huge shower.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Dr Law

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor and for choosing to stay at Hotel du Vin Birmingham.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall and particularly our "monsoon shower and big comfy bed" but it would be great to hear what we could have done better to raise your score from 3 stars to 5. Please feel free to drop me a line: tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com

I hope we may have the chance to look after you again in the future and help move that score up a couple of notches.

Best regards, Tony
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

The afternoon tea was ok nothing to right home about some of our group had dietary requirements which they were informed of when we booked and it took a lot of explaining to get what we ordered and in the end still did not get what we wanted. The sandwiches were ok however some of them had started to dry out there was a nice selection of cakes. The gluten free option sandwiches were nice but the gluten free cakes were not up to much they were bought in cakes and not home made and consisted of a bakewell tart, slice of Christmas cake and a stale slice of cake. All in all ok but have been to much better places for afternoon tea would not go here again

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Lolly

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am so sorry to hear that your Afternoon Tea experience was such a disappointment.

This is not typical for a Hotel du Vin experience and as such I would invite you to contact me so that we can make some amends for letting you down.

Best regards, Tony

tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Just returned from a weekend away at this lovely friendly hotel. The staff are so helpful and friendly after visiting our daughter at uni in Nottingham we decided to stay over on the way back home in Birmingham. We have stayed many times in hotel du vin Bristol but Birmingham beats it! The bar and restaurant are run with perfection and staff are happy and so polite it was a joy to stay. Cocktails, wine and Food all excellent nothing was to much trouble! Thank you for making our stay so enjoyable we will be back very soon.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Penevans
Dear "Penevans"

Thank you for your review.

It is fantastic to hear that you found your experience to be "Excellent Excellent" . . my team and I thought your review was "Excellent Excellent" too. :)

I will also take a little pleasure out of teasing my colleagues at HdV Bristol about how good your stay was here. HdV Bristol is in my opinion a lovely hotel so this is praise indeed.

We hope you will join us for "wine, food and cocktails" again very soon.

Best regards from Tony and the team
Milford on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

A very pleasant spa day at Hotel du Vin, booked for £45.00 pp. Included 2 treatments - we had a shoulder and back massage and an Indian head massage, a glass of prosecco and choc dipped strawberries. What initially surprised us is that there is no pool at this hotel - totally assumed there was! Despite that, treatments very pleasant (thanks to Kelsie) and relaxation room offered pleasant surroundings with comp tea, coffee and fruit.
Ratings based on spa day.
What wasn't so great was when we arrived at 10am and wanted to get a coffee and pastry. Clearly the hotel wasn't ready for that request whilst serving breakfast in the bistro. The head waiter sent us off to the courtyard once he knew we didn't want breakfast, but the courtyard didn't seem very inviting so we went back to reception and asked if we could have the coffees in the spa. Unfortunately not, so thankfully a very nice chap at reception offered to open the bar for us. Very kind of him and a far more inviting area to have a coffee and Danish in.
Spa day great - initial greeting not great so clearly an issue for the hotel to look at in order to improve customer service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Tracy

Thank you for your excellent review.

I am so pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable Spa day experience. We are very lucky to have such quality therapists in Kelsie and the rest of the team, I am very proud to have them all here.

I have noted your comments on wanting somewhere to go for a coffee and danish at that time of the morning other than the Courtyard or the Bistro. The bar is open at this time during the week but we will ensure that guests at the weekend can take a coffee down into the relaxation room in future.

I hope you will come back and join us again for another relaxing Spa day soon.

Best regards and thanks again, Tony
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel and we'll worth a visit. The room was lovely and quite quirky being on three different levels! The bathroom was the best thing with a lovely roll top bath and the best shower I have ever experienced. Facilities in the room were great with a top of the range smart tv, plenty of wardrobe space and a large comfortable bed.

The bar downstairs was welcoming and a good place to wind down meeting with friends before going out to dinner, and for a nightcap before heading up to bed.

The staff were attentive and helpful and very accommodating.

Only problem is the car parking, but they do offer a valet parking service for £20 which is only £2.50 more than the 24 hour rate at nearby car parks and no need to worry about collecting your car at the right time, so we'll worth it.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear David

Thank you for your kind review, my team were delighted to read it.

It is fantastic to hear you had such a good time and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Thank you also for your helpful advice on parking around the hotel.

Many thanks, Tony and team
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night and paid the online upgrade of £18. We were given a huge room with a walk in shower that could have accommodated at least 6 ( but enough of that ) we liked the fact it was a quirky and interesting place ( it's an old hospital) we usually stay at the malmaison but we would say this is a step up in detail and quality, we enjoyed an evening dinner in the bistro and breakfast the following morning, the food quality is excellent. All the staff were friendly and attentive and we would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Sheppy

Thank you for your excellent review and for revealing to our TripAdvisor community the secret formula to the perfect Hotel du Vin experience.

The rooms are great and we are a in the perfect location for exploring the City, however, as you have discovered, the Hotel du Vin experience is only complete when you join us for dinner.

As you may know, our concept began in Winchester as a Bistro with bedrooms. Despite being the largest Hotel du Vin with some 66 bedrooms, culinary experiences are at the heart of our hotel and wine is the lifeblood. It's just not HdV unless you embrace this and I am delighted to hear that you did just that.

Thank you once again for kind review which I know my team were delighted to read.

Hope to see you again very soon, Tony and team