“Bistro du Bin.......overpriced and poor service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #41 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Bistro du Bin.......overpriced and poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

I often venture to the Bubble lounge - the atmosphere, service and wine list is always first class. I had my first date with my partner there 9 months ago and decided to book a table in the bistro for 28th Dec to reminisce.

From the out set the service at the Bistro was not great. The waitress appeared to be new and poorly trained and had to return several times to repeat our order - the resturant was not busy. My partner and I were having pork belly and rack of lamb for our mains and we decided on a pinot noir. My partner and I dine out often and he is not a novice when it comes to wine, but was unfamilar with the pinot noirs on the list and asked the waitress to send the sommelier across. We advised her what we were eating and she proceeded to read out the selection of pinot's available, as we had just done ourselves and when we asked what she recommended she said it depended on price! My partner asked her again, given our choices which of the pinots she would suggest. Again she said it depended on price and started to read through the menu again. My partner refraised the question and asked what the differences were between the pinots and she said "they are all light and fruity". The sommelier was clearly not familiar with the bistro wine list and was not a knowledegable professional - so in the end we selected.

The starters arrived and were disappointing to say the least - the scallops were generous and well coooked but tepid at best and the gorgonzola baked figs were green, hard and practically inedible. When the waitress came to take our plates she didn't ask if we'd enjoyed our starters but I told her that the figs were not ripe and should not have left the kitchen, she said she would let the chef know but offered no apology and left before my partner could feedback on his scallops being cold.

The mains were average and by this time we were in no mood for desert.

And the princely sum for 2 courses, 1 vegetable side and bottle of wine......£180. For that kind of money I expect a fine dining experience and excellent service.....severely lacking at Bistro du Vin but readily available at other dining rooms in Birmingham.

My advice - go to one of them.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank S H
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear "S H"

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your recent Bistro dining experience.

As a Hotel du Vin, Bubble Lounge fan, it is especially disappointing to hear of your experience in our popular Bistro. I am surprised to hear of the poor information provided to you by our Assistant Sommelier and also of the poor way that you concerns were handled when expressed about your starters, this is not how we do things in the Bistro.

I have sent you a direct message and hope to be able to make contact with you to discuss further.

Kindest regards and sincere apologies, Tony

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

I visited here with my daughters as a special treat. We had booked a special deal, dinner, bed and breakfast and was very good value. Very easy to find, a direct walk from Birmingham New Street train station, quick and efficient check in. We had all booked spa treatments and we were all really pleased with our treatments although I am not sure they were worth the price tag. What we were uncomfortable with was being asked if we wanted to leave a gratuity for our therapist, however no complaints on the treatment side. Dinner was very good, vegetables were an extra cost, as appears to be a standard with many bistros. Excellent service from all staff, and very friendly and professional. Breakfast was also very good , with plenty of choice. Bit of a mix up on checkout as we were overcharged however quickly rectified. The only downside was the beds, not the most comfortable single beds and my daughters all had bruises from walking into the wooden corners of the bed!! Otherwise rooms were great, spotlessly clean, good choice ot teas and coffee and well stocked mini bar (not that we used this) Bathrooms were also clean and well stocked with toiletries. If the beds and pillows were better suited to us and for the package we had I would have rated this hotel as excellent (none of us slept well, maybe a double bed would have been more comfy)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear "Gaynor A"

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall from your Spa Treatments through to your dinner and the service that accompanied these experiences.

Single beds in twin rooms are never as comfortable as a big double bed but you may be interested to hear that as part of our refurbishments we are replacing all of our beds and bedding in the coming weeks and months.

I hope you will come back to see us again in the future.

Thanks again from Tony and the team
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Great hotel in an amazing building, I booked two delux rooms with great space and amazing showers, The bar area as a warm and friendly feel and the staff at du vin Birmingham are friendly and attentive as always, The atmosphere always feels so warm and friendly that we never want to venture out of the hotel to other resturants or bars, The new years eve celebrations went perfect with a great start to the eve with champagne and canopies then on to the restaurant for dinner, the steak was cooked to perfection taking into consideration the hotel and restaurant was full, Although all the staff had a full hotel to look after they still remained helpful and friendly, the after dinner party and new year celebration again a great atmosphere and a good band, alwayd delighted to stay at the du vin hotels

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank david d
Dear David

Thank you for your kind review, I am delighted to hear you had such a good time on New Year's Eve.

My team and I thoroughly enjoyed the evening too . . . very busy but a great atmosphere to share with our guests on such a special night of the year.

You may be interested to hear that due to the feedback we received about the band they will be returning again next year.

Best regards and many thanks once again from Tony and the team
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

This is a nice venue in an old building. The rooms are big and comfortable with excellent showers. The staff are nice and friendly and helpful. In fact they went out of their way for us. This is a city centre hotel so can be quite noisy. The only real downside is the really slow restaurant service - take a book or a pillow!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Partner792
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear "Partner 792"

Thank you for your 4 star review.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall but sorry that you found service a little slow in the Bistro.

Unlike many hotels and high street restaurants that are part of a chain, all of our food is made from scratch, this means that the food takes longer to prepare by comparison. Nevertheless, I will look into this and do what I can to see how service could be accelerated.

I really appreciate you taking the time to offer your feedback and for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

I hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and deliver a pacier dining experience too.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here one night on business. It is not in the centre of town but quite close to Snowhill station. They do offer concierge parking.
The room was large with a comfortable bed, a good minibar, free wifi
I wasn't too keen on the bathroom. Don't get me wrong it was spotless, but just too big and felt like a hospital bathroom with the tiles, old fashioned radiator and stainless steel shower. I know this used to be the eye hospital, but it was just too clinical
The bar is a good spot for a pre dinner drink, very good choice of wines and champagnes
Breakfast also very good with a cold buffet and hot cooked to order
My only slight gripe was that I asked for my car to be returned at a certain time, lunchtime too so not the usual crowded morning rush after checkout. However, they didn't do this and I had to wait half an hour, which was very inconvenient as I was on a tight schedule

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear "Lisasplaces"

Thank you for sharing your Hotel du Vin experience with the TripAdvisor community and for your 4 star review.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Bistro, Bar, wine list and comfortable bed but sorry that you found the spotless bathroom a little too clinical. The style in the new refurbishment scheme is warmer with darker, larger floor tiles instead of the white mosaic tiles we currently use.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in returning your car for valet parking, it's the first time I have heard of this happening but once, is once too often.

I do hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Kindest regards and thanks again, Tony
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed a Saturday night, entry didn't start well as my wife didn't see the step just inside the door, down she went very hard, hurting her knee and hand, assistance from the concerned lady on reception was prompt. The lighting is dim which might be great for the general atmosphere for the hotel but creates a hazard for access. Our room was not ready at 4.45pm and whilst we were offered a complementary drink in the bar it was not the same as being able to relax in our room after Christmas shopping. We eventually got into the room sometime after 5pm. Not good..

The room was on the third floor, was in good decorative order but again the lighting was dim with no provision for ladies to do their makeup, other than that I would be happy to have the same room again. We found out later that our friends staying with us bring a powerful torch for just this reason! They have been before!

The bar was lovely with a great selection of wine by the glass, excellent service and as it should be.

We didn't dine in or have breakfast so cannot comment on that aspect.

We used the valet parking service which is well worth the small premium over parking at Snow Hill.

Would we go back? Well the room rate was expensive, which would be fine were it not for the niggles, for the rate charged I would expect the room to be available on time, when our bags were taken up (good but only because I asked if they had while we were in the bar waiting) what a shame the room was left in darkness so we had to fumble to find the light.

So good but by no means excellent

Room Tip: Our room was on the third floor named after a Spanish wine :)
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DavidandFran_B
Dear David and Fran

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall, despite the niggles you mentioned in not being able to get into your bedroom as early as you would have liked. (Whenever guests leave their bags with us we will try to get them into their bedroom as soon as it's ready)

As a result of your comments and others received about the mood lighting in reception, I have ordered new lights for the reception area and we will be adding more light to the bedrooms and bathrooms as our bedroom refurbishment continues.

You mention that you did not dine with us at all during your last stay, either for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The Daily Express ran an article last week which ranked Lunch at Bistro du Vin in their Top 10 things to do in Brimingham so you must try the Bistro next time around. It's definitely worth a visit.

hereford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed here on the 13th november 2013 and we've been slightly busy moving house to find time to write a review !
We stayed here after a lovely day at Birmingham cathedral celebrating my graduation. My husband decided to treat us to a stay and celebrate the evening in Birmingham to finish off the day. He booked hotel du vin thru Andrei Leuce who was incredibly helpful. He delivered everything he promised. He gave us a fabulous room with parking. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant, a great nights sleep, followed by lovely breakfast. On checking out again Andrei was very professional and he provided a service second to none. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Book a deluxe double. Huge bed and bathroom
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hereford6
Dear "hereford6"

Thank you for sharing your "Exceptional" review with the TripAdvisor community.

It is fantastic to hear that your stay was so enjoyable and that the service you received from our Reception Manager Andrei was also so good.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.