“Comfortable and friendly hotel in the city centre.”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #30 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed in this hotel on a Sunday evening in January. The staff were very welcoming and friendly. We used their parking service - they park your car and collect it for you when you need it. We needed to retrieve something from the car and they got it for us immediately with no fuss. The room was clean if a little gloomy and cramped (it was the standard double) and the bathroom spacious and clean.
We dined in the Bistro but ate breakfast in the very handy deli opposite at half the price!
I would stay there again because of the friendly, professional staff and the hotel doesn't feel like a chain!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Alice

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay but can't help but think you missed out at breakfast :)

We hope we may have the opportunity to look after you again in the near future.

Many thanks once again, Tony

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I don't often contribute to these kind of review websites, but having had an absolutely lovely meal yesterday at the Hotel du Vin's Bistro in Birmingham yesterday I really wanted to recommend their Sunday Brunch offer to people.

They are currently doing a 4-course Brunch for £25, which is great value. You get soup to start, with as much lovely bread as you want, and then you help yourself to their French Marketplace buffet, which is full of seafood such as king prawns and oysters, plus tasty charcuterie and salad. Then main course is next where you can have a traditional roast, steak frites, or several other changing options. I had the steak which was tender and juicy, my mother had a roast which came with piles of vegetables and potatoes, and my wife had a very nice smoked haddock dish. Finally there were plenty of options for dessert or chesseboard, and I opted for Crème brûlée.

I also need to mention that we had my two small children with us, they had their own menu, which they enjoyed and they both really loved trying the various foods on offer at the buffet. The staff were also very welcoming towards the children, which doesn't always happen at nice restaurants.

So overall I'd very much recommend the Sunday Brunch at the Hotel du Vin.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Russell L
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Russell

Thank you so much for your fantastic review.

I am so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed Sunday Brunch and I know my team were chuffed with your review. The best Sunday Lunch in town I would say, but maybe I'm biased?

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards, Tony

Reviewed 18 January 2014

A very convenient location in Birmingham City Centre, although car parking can be a problem.
I found the hotel online as three couples had decided to go together to a concert in the Symphony Hall. The website is one of the best hotel websites I've seen and the booking process and follow-up was very slick.
The hotel has been tastefully created in the former Eye Hospital building.
The rooms are spacious, modern, and well-appointed - the bathrooms had a large walk-in shower. Some rooms did have rather dark colour schemes, though.

The restaurant dinner menu hit the spot - unusual enough to excite but not so unusual as to be pretentious. The service and food quality were excellent and the staff were most helpful in ensuring that we were not late for the evening concert. Price: not cheap, but justified by the quality.
Breakfast was just superb - a delightful choice of hot and cold dishes.
The bar lacked atmosphere and I must say the service was patchy - it is a lovely room though, with big comfortable leather sofas. We didn't get to see the downstairs pub as it was reserved for a wedding party.
Reception staff were very polite and helpful, but they were sometimes in short supply. The reception is also very dimly lit - I could barely read my bill!

The package we had was very good value. £99 B&B rate with a free upgrade to a superior room a £20 voucher per couple for the restaurant.

Overall a great stay and I'd happily go there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear "Stamford_Trencher"

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much, particularly the location, architecture, service and food.

I agree, the lighting is a bit dim in reception and as a result of guest feedback, such as yours, have ordered some new lights that will illuminate the area a bit better without damaging the ambience, I hope.

I hope you will return again and look forward to receiving your feedback on the changes to the lighting.

Best regards, Tony and team

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed the night of 4th Jan 2014 on a deal which included dinner. The location of the hotel is ideal – less than 5 minutes’ walk to the main shopping area, with the canal and the Jewellery Quarter a comfortable stroll away. Snow Hill multi-storey car park is just around the corner, two minutes’ walk and around £11 for 24 hours in Jan 2014 (Pay and Display, so bring some change or be prepared for one of those lengthy pay-by-phone experiences).

Our room was large with high ceilings, warm (with the ability to turn radiators and air conditioning on or off), comfortable bed, good quality TV, Nespresso machine plus everything you’d need to make tea including complimentary fresh milk in the minibar fridge, good quality iron and ironing board. The spacious bathroom had a bath and separate shower with bathrobes.

The bistro has an intimate feel and the food and wine were great, we enjoyed the dinner very much. Breakfast is a spread of bread, croissants and pastries with fruit and cereals, decaff tea and coffee isn’t a problem, plus a whole range of cooked options. The only negative point in our stay was the service in the restaurant; the waiting staff were helpful but the food delivery was quite slow in the (busy) evening, albeit we were offered a complimnetary glass of wine in compensation. Even slower at breakfast, to the extent that after 45 minutes of waiting, I cancelled my order for French toast and went without.

We’d stay there again very happily and we’d recommend it, we’d just hope that there were more people in the kitchen to help get the food out on time.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear "PSwift"

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Hotel du Vin.

I am pleased to hear that your experience was excellent overall but sorry that this was marred somewhat by the long waits in the Bistro.

Every element of our food is home-made on site and this does mean that it can take a little longer than you might expect from a high street French themed restaurant for example. Nevertheless, 45 minutes for your breakfast is completely unacceptable and I must offer you my sincere apologies.

We'll certainly make sure that everything arrives a bit quicker for you next time to try and get us to a 5 star review

Kindest regards, Tony

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I often venture to the Bubble lounge - the atmosphere, service and wine list is always first class. I had my first date with my partner there 9 months ago and decided to book a table in the bistro for 28th Dec to reminisce.

From the out set the service at the Bistro was not great. The waitress appeared to be new and poorly trained and had to return several times to repeat our order - the resturant was not busy. My partner and I were having pork belly and rack of lamb for our mains and we decided on a pinot noir. My partner and I dine out often and he is not a novice when it comes to wine, but was unfamilar with the pinot noirs on the list and asked the waitress to send the sommelier across. We advised her what we were eating and she proceeded to read out the selection of pinot's available, as we had just done ourselves and when we asked what she recommended she said it depended on price! My partner asked her again, given our choices which of the pinots she would suggest. Again she said it depended on price and started to read through the menu again. My partner refraised the question and asked what the differences were between the pinots and she said "they are all light and fruity". The sommelier was clearly not familiar with the bistro wine list and was not a knowledegable professional - so in the end we selected.

The starters arrived and were disappointing to say the least - the scallops were generous and well coooked but tepid at best and the gorgonzola baked figs were green, hard and practically inedible. When the waitress came to take our plates she didn't ask if we'd enjoyed our starters but I told her that the figs were not ripe and should not have left the kitchen, she said she would let the chef know but offered no apology and left before my partner could feedback on his scallops being cold.

The mains were average and by this time we were in no mood for desert.

And the princely sum for 2 courses, 1 vegetable side and bottle of wine......£180. For that kind of money I expect a fine dining experience and excellent service.....severely lacking at Bistro du Vin but readily available at other dining rooms in Birmingham.

My advice - go to one of them.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank S H

Dear "S H"

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your recent Bistro dining experience.

As a Hotel du Vin, Bubble Lounge fan, it is especially disappointing to hear of your experience in our popular Bistro. I am surprised to hear of the poor information provided to you by our Assistant Sommelier and also of the poor way that you concerns were handled when expressed about your starters, this is not how we do things in the Bistro.

I have sent you a direct message and hope to be able to make contact with you to discuss further.

Kindest regards and sincere apologies, Tony

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I visited here with my daughters as a special treat. We had booked a special deal, dinner, bed and breakfast and was very good value. Very easy to find, a direct walk from Birmingham New Street train station, quick and efficient check in. We had all booked spa treatments and we were all really pleased with our treatments although I am not sure they were worth the price tag. What we were uncomfortable with was being asked if we wanted to leave a gratuity for our therapist, however no complaints on the treatment side. Dinner was very good, vegetables were an extra cost, as appears to be a standard with many bistros. Excellent service from all staff, and very friendly and professional. Breakfast was also very good , with plenty of choice. Bit of a mix up on checkout as we were overcharged however quickly rectified. The only downside was the beds, not the most comfortable single beds and my daughters all had bruises from walking into the wooden corners of the bed!! Otherwise rooms were great, spotlessly clean, good choice ot teas and coffee and well stocked mini bar (not that we used this) Bathrooms were also clean and well stocked with toiletries. If the beds and pillows were better suited to us and for the package we had I would have rated this hotel as excellent (none of us slept well, maybe a double bed would have been more comfy)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear "Gaynor A"

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall from your Spa Treatments through to your dinner and the service that accompanied these experiences.

Single beds in twin rooms are never as comfortable as a big double bed but you may be interested to hear that as part of our refurbishments we are replacing all of our beds and bedding in the coming weeks and months.

I hope you will come back to see us again in the future.

Thanks again from Tony and the team

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Great hotel in an amazing building, I booked two delux rooms with great space and amazing showers, The bar area as a warm and friendly feel and the staff at du vin Birmingham are friendly and attentive as always, The atmosphere always feels so warm and friendly that we never want to venture out of the hotel to other resturants or bars, The new years eve celebrations went perfect with a great start to the eve with champagne and canopies then on to the restaurant for dinner, the steak was cooked to perfection taking into consideration the hotel and restaurant was full, Although all the staff had a full hotel to look after they still remained helpful and friendly, the after dinner party and new year celebration again a great atmosphere and a good band, alwayd delighted to stay at the du vin hotels

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank david d

Dear David

Thank you for your kind review, I am delighted to hear you had such a good time on New Year's Eve.

My team and I thoroughly enjoyed the evening too . . . very busy but a great atmosphere to share with our guests on such a special night of the year.

You may be interested to hear that due to the feedback we received about the band they will be returning again next year.

Best regards and many thanks once again from Tony and the team