“OK but no more”

Ranked #37 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Hawkley, United Kingdom
“OK but no more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

I was not very impressed overall with this hotel. My room on the first floor was tiny and very dark. The tap leaked all night and there was a lot of mould and rust evident in the bathroom. However the fresh milk in the fridge and the coffee machine did go down well. I stayed with a number of colleagues and all of us agreed that we would not bother returning. Sorry Hotel du Vin I hate writing poor reviews but it would be impossible to rate my stay as anything more than OK.

Room Tip: don't go for the laphroaig (i think that was the name of the room). it's very small and dark...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Really great hotel, perfect for shopping or a romantic weekend away. The breakfast is brilliant also. The only downside is that the hotel doesn't have a car park but this is to be expected in a city centre hotel. The deluxe rooms have the most incredible bathrooms!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

The advertising strap line for this group of 15 hotels was stretched a little on this occasion! Had it not been meticulously rag aniseed for us by a dear friend, fir an extremely special ( but very private) reason I would have begrudged the (not insignificant) price. As it was, I was there fir live and company so would have happily slept on the pavement! The hotel is lovely, the building is beautiful and well situated for easy access to a bhere aren't antsy) and I couldn't see,mor put enough lights on in my room to be able to see. We ate in the bistro on our first night which was good in terms of value and quality and the gp breakfasts were lovely (great orange juice) but the table we were seated at had splintered legs and laddered my stockings as I sat down and every time I moved my legs! Our room was a very small twin, good job I had known my room mate for years as we were very closely accommodated!!!!!!!! The decor was shabby, worn floors, badly latched decor, damp over the window and mould in the bathroom. The shower was great, if you were happy to leap in and out when it got too hot to handle and due to the alignment if the shower screen, you can't run a bath without climbing in first.....so you either get frozen or scalded feet! No extraction fan that worked either, so steamy. Bathroom. Sorry to sond so negative, I actually had a wonderful time but thus hotel really dies need to try harder fir the price it charges.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Julia M
Cockermouth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I won't be staying here again until this place has been refurbished.

I had the Moet & Chandon room on the first floor; a large corner room but very dark and gloomy, with dark-painted walls, an old and torn herringbone carpet, and an en suite with leaky radiator and chipped toilet seat. The bedroom has a high ceiling but is lit by just one bright recessed spotlight bulb in the centre; no table light on the desk which is in a dark corner so completely useless. They provide an espresso machine, a mini-bar etc, but can't get the basics right. And what's with with the black drawstring bags covering old fittings on the ceiling? Looks terrible. The duvet was thinner than you get in a budget hotel, and the lack of comfort coupled with trucks loading and unloading office furniture in the street outside (nothing to do with the hotel) between midnight and 3am, and then road sweepers etc, meant sleep was almost impossible.

Downstairs, the bar has a corner leather sofa as you go in; it is so worn out you can barely sit on it without falling off, or into another guest. On the plus side, the bar stocks local real ales (bottled) as well as a good selection of wines.

Dinner was excellent, but breakfast was a shambles. The dining room was cold - I was told there was a window "stuck open", but no-one seemed able to stuff something in the gap to stop the cold air coming in - and service was painfully slow, leading to all the tables being full because guests weren't able to eat and leave. I ordered a full breakfast and pot of tea; the tea took 20 minutes to arrive, and after half an hour I had to leave to catch a train - still no sign of breakfast so I left without any.

If it hadn't been for the excellent dinner, this would have been a one-star review. A real shame for what should be a great up-market hotel in the city centre.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CumbrianRobin
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

We only stayed one night a Saturday to dine at Purnells and the hotel was great. Very nice bedroom huge bathroom with fantastic shower. The only issue is the rooms have names so you have to remember your 'name'.
Breakfast was freshly cooked and the usual selection - great banana bread.
All the staff were very good. the hotel is the old eye hospital so an interesting building. Although the hotel was full - based on breakfast numbers it was very quiet great nights sleep.

Room Tip: No issues with room location from what we saw.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Severn Stoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I booked dinner, bed and breakfast in February as a birthday treat for my partner. When we arrived at the hotel, we were fortunate enough to get a free parking space literally outside the front door. We checked in with ease and were given information about the hotel facilities and spa as we had booked a treatment. We went straight to the room which was modern, clean and spacious (superior double - 'Courvouiser'). The roll top bath was a romantic touch and the waterfall style shower was invigorating the next day, after a few too many gin & tonics during our stay!

We then went down to the bar and this was the only time during our stay that we were in any way disappointed. We waited for around 10-15 minutes at the bar as there weren't any staff in sight. Eventually a young chap appeared and we ordered a double g&t each which set us back at around £22. Not that this was unexpected, it's just that after such a long wait and with nowhere to sit as all of the empty tables were dirty, it just felt excessive. We sat down at a dirty table and someone did come to clear it, but the seats were stained too and there was a general feel of stickiness and dirt, so it didn't feel overly comfortable in the bar.

My partner then had a full body massage in the spa which he said was excellent and great value for money. We then went for dinner in the bistro. We decided to pay extra for the al a carte menu and were so pleased that we did. The food in the restaurant was superb, a month later and I'm still thinking about the scallops which were cooked to perfection! The General Manager, Tony had arranged for a glass of fizz when we sat down, as I had mentioned when booking that our stay was to celebrate my partners birthday. When dessert came 'happy birthday' was written in chocolate on the plate (another lovely touch).

We had a drink in the downstairs snug bar before going back to the room, which was great. I used to work in Birmingham and would drink there regularly. It was as charming as I had remembered.

Breakfast in the Bistro was again fantastic. The freshly made pastries were irresistible and the cooked breakfast was faultless. The staff throughout our stay were friendly, helpful and efficient. Checking out was hassle free and we asked for the bill to be split which was sorted out with ease by the reception staff.

After staying in many of the hotels in Birmingham, Hotel Du Vin would be my first choice as the value for money, overall cleanliness of the hotel and helpful staff tick all of the boxes for me!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Solihull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I was slightly concerned when booking because some reviews were very critical but we had stayed with our children over Christmas and had a great time. The room was excellent; great bed, good en-suite and nice extras like Nespresso machine and bathrobes. The bar is my favourite hotel bar. It has a lot of character and most importantly the cocktails are excellent (try the espresso martini). We then had a really superb 3 course meal with wine, desert wine etc the staff were all very pleasant and helpful. We then finished with another visit to the bar and more cocktails. All in all we had a fantastic stay both in terms of accommodation and food.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple