“quirky and friendly”

Ranked #37 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“quirky and friendly”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

just returned from a business trip and a salews meeting at this hotel. we all suggested that we book for next meeting too. rooms are splendid , if the layout is a bit odd, but it is a converted eye hospital , so some of the layout was dictated by the structure. food excellent as is most Hotel du Vins. Hope to be back

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience here on trip advisor.

I am delighted to read that you will be returning for your next meeting here at Hotel du Vin Birmingham. Along with the meeting you had I am happy to see the food has met your expectations too. And finally the layout can sometimes be confusing but as you have said the hotel has been converted within a Listed Building so it makes our layout very unique. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards – Matthew Kinnes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Afternoon tea and a cocktail was delicious, very pleasant and professional staff happy to help, comfortable and spacious rooms in the heart of the centre - what else do you need?
I'm a fan of Hotel Du Vin anyway and already looking forward to my next trip!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on our trip advisor page.

Great to hear you are a fan of Hotel du Vin anyway but still willing to spread the word about your time here. Afternoon Tea at the hotel is growing ever so popular and a thoroughly enjoyable experience. What delights me most of all are the comments about the team and I will be sure to thank them.

Looking forward to seeing you back again soon!

Paris, France
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I was at the Hotel Du Vin, Birmingham for a private party at the end of March 2014. The service was very good and the room was perfect for the evening. However, what I found most remarkable, was the quality of the staff, particularly the bar staff and at the hotel reception who were there to help in a thorough and friendly way. I would recommend this hotel highly to anyone.

Room Tip: The rooms are large and well equipped. We had a suite which had a massive bathroom, a large bed and...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Trish B
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Hotel du Vin Birmingham. I hope you and all the guests had a great time at your private party. It delights me to read you would be happy to recommend us to other people.

Finally I very much appreciate your comments about the team here at the hotel and I will be thrilled to share these comments with the staff.

Hope to see you again soon. In the meantime

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We've stayed here three or four times over the last ten years and eaten here even more. It was always a treat on our doorstep for birthdays and anniversaries. Not any more. I booked an Easter deal room, three courses and breakfast all prepaid - absolute bargain for my husband's birthday. On arrival we were asked for a payment of £50 "for extras" - we pointed out that we'd like to pay at the bar and in the bistro for our drinks at the end of the night so we could leave a cash tip. Nope. £50 up front. Fine, we knew we'd spend at least that. I'd also booked an upgrade if possible. Snippy response that it was done, but unclear on how it was paid for ( appeared on the bill the next morning). So....the room.
Remember the days of Egyptian cotton sheets and fluffy pillows? Our room ( which was an upgrade ) had none of this. No cafetiere any more, just a Nespresso machine. Mini bar half empty. Thin, tired sheets, flat foam pillows, no niceties in the room, no invitation to take home the smellies ( not that I ever did). Could have been any room in any boutique hotel. The whole room was tired and patchy. Gerard Basset should never have left HdV!
Bubble Lounge full of loud office folk breaking up for the Easter weekend, dirty plates plonked in front of me as I sat at the bar trying to enjoy my fizz.
The meal was fine and we were disciplined enough ( or miffed enough, I'm not sure which?) to stick to the plats du jour that was included in the deal. The wines are now ludicrously overpriced and many of them can be picked up in any half decent wine shop. The by the glass selection is tired and formulaic - we ate at HdV Winchester in August last year and the by the glass list was exactly the same. All the individuality has gone. Our sommelier was very good, but didn't much like the fact we both asked lots of questions before choosing.he actually challenged us on our way out "how do you know so much about wine?" Does it matter? Twenty years working in the trade, but why do we need to justify it? We asked lots of questions because the prices are extortionate and we wanted to get it right!
Breakfast was good and the service exemplary. Then we came to check out... A £12 service charge appeared on our bill. We asked for it to be removed and were asked why..we explained that we like to leave cash tips to ensure they go to the right person and not into the company coffers. We explained that we had wanted to use cash the night before but weren't "allowed" to having been made to leave £50 on a card at reception. We pointed out that the service had been very good, but that we weren't prepared to pay the "discretionary" charge that had just been whacked on. The whole experience left a bitter taste in our mouths and we won't be back. Sad , as we have many happy memories of HdV back when it was very special and quirky.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laloue
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments on your most recent visit to Hotel du Vin Birmingham.

Quite clearly a lot has changed in the hotel and with the group over the years such as with procedures, group standards and senior management which nowadays might not be to everyone’s preference.

Of course as a hotel though it is our priority to ensure all of our guests are made to feel as welcome and as comfortable as possible when they choose to stay here. From reading your comments there has obviously been a number instances where we have not met these expectations and I will be investigating these further.

I am disappointed to read that you will not be returning after enjoying so many happy memories here at Hotel du Vin Birmingham and I of course hope that your opinion might change in the future. If it does and should you wish to return with the hope we have the opportunity of improving on this visit please feel free to contact me at dgm.birmingham@hotelduvin.com.

Regards – Matthew Kinnes
Solihull
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at HDV a couple of times before and this time like the last 2 times the room, staff and food were all excellent. Indeed, the staff at reception, bar and restaurant were all very friendly and helpful. The food at dinner and breakfast was excellent. The room was clean with a comfortable bed and a wonderful espresso machine. I simply don't get some of these reviews!

HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Many thanks for sharing your comments following your visits to Hotel du Vin Birmingham. I am glad to read we have met your expectations throughout the hotel. Look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

edinburgh, scotland
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel a number of times in the past few years, it has sadly taken a dip though.
Reception staff are not the best; a bit distracted and rushed, and not the best communicators.
Slightly rude service in the bubble lounge.
The pub du vin was shut the whole of the three days we were there, I guess it may have shut down.
Real lack of attention to detail in the rooms and the service. Next to no info in the rooms: phone numbers pinned up in an obscure place, wasn't clear what was the room service menu, no breakfast menu. Few of the plug sockets in our suite were hanging off the wall. Our ceiling made an almighty creaking sound whenever anyone moved around in the room above. Very dark room (though this is typical of HdV). One of our room service breakfasts was missing much of the crockery and cutlery, and had no milk.
None of these were really things significant enough to complain about at the time, but just an accumulation of a very large number of very small niggles that created a disappointing stay.
Staff didn't fill you with confidence that if you did mention anything, that would have sorted it in the correct manner, all a bit rushed and slightly disinterested. Some way below the standard of this hdv in the past and the hdv in Newcastle.
I had always referred to this as the best hotel in Brum, in future I might look at the rotunda or somewhere else.
Nice building and comfy bed though. And it has sky sports.
No where to do your hair and make-up at all.

1 Thank tom7p
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on our trip advisor page. It is disappointing to read that there have been a number of small niggles which have cumulated in a very average stay for you on this occasion. I have sent you a personal message on trip advisor to investigate your comments further.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel last night just for the night as went to see a show, omg we upgraded to the penfolds grange, 8ft bed 2 baths,2 monsoon showers, living area and gym all for us. Room was spotless, service great and breakfast was lovely, would recommend to anyone.

HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your lovely comments following your recent visit to HdV Birmingham.

I hope you had a lovely time at the show and I can see from your photos you were upgraded to our principal suite Penfolds Grange which even in my opinion is a spectacular and one off bedroom. Hope you to see you back again soon although I wish I could but I cannot guarantee Penfolds Grange next time.