“nice and warm atmosphere ” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #42 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield
“nice and warm atmosphere ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I went to the brasserie, had great food and wine. I had a steak, it was cooked just the way i like it, well done. Staff is well trained and friendly. After dinner we moved to the bar, I'm not fan of alcohol, so me and my husband had some coffee. My family and i are very pleased with everything. Thank you

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Many thanks for sharing your comments following your recent dining experience at Bistro du Vin.

Glad to hear that the service along with the quality of the food met your expectations in the Bistro and after that you enjoyed some post-dinner drinks in the Bubble Lounge.

Hope you see you back again soon.

Matthew Kinnes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

My daughter & I visited here for a birthday treat during her birthday shopping trip. She is only 15 and had never done anything like this before so she had nothing to compare it to, but I have. Firstly I was disappointed that I was promised on booking some recognition for her birthday (I think the lady taking the booking said a birthday plate??) but no recognition of any sort was done. Although the sandwiches looked nice the white bread was quite dry, to much mustard on the ham & mustard & scones a little hard too but tasted nice along with clotted cream & very nice jam. The macaroons were very, very soft but I'm not sure how they are supposed to be served. The other 2 cakes were nice too and although there was plenty enough for us we were never offered anymore like I've been offered elsewhere. No the choice of plain scones either. We were offered more tea and did just stick to the "fair trade" one as the waitress was unable to recommend any other??? And it did look a little unprofessional seeing her check her phone! And at the end rather than being civilly bought a bill, I was told I had to walk to the bar in the other room & pay there. I didn't say anything on the day due to occasion and the main thing was my daughter enjoyed her day BUT very disappointed Hotel Du Vin and certainly would not return or recommend afternoon tea at £14:50 per head.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Jullip08
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on our trip advisor page. It seems from reading your comments we have really disappointed you as our guest for Afternoon Tea not only with the quality of the food we offered but also the level of service delivered.

This experience is not what we would expect here at Hotel du Vin and your comments will be taken very seriously and addressed with Lounge team as I do not find this acceptable. I am sorry that the experience did not meet the expectations of the occasion but obviously glad to read your daughter her enjoyed her day though.

It is very disappointing to read a guest is not prepared to return and I hope we have the opportunity of restoring some faith in you in the future.

Once again my apologies on your experience.

Regards

Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Fourteen of us gathered here for afternoon tea with champagne. We were given the Sassicaia room, which was a perfect size, and access to the courtyard which was a great place for the children to play. The afternoon tea was excellent: various sandwiches, scones with cream and jam, and an assortment of delicious little cakes. We had our own personal waiter who could not have been more helpful, attentive, or entertaining - ask for Ben! The hotel is only 10 minutes' walk from New Street station, so a great meeting place for a group like ours who came from all over the country. We were able to use the room for as long as we liked. I'd be happy to come here again for a similar occasion.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share you experience here at Hotel du Vin Birmingham. I have to say I was working on the day you and your group enjoyed Afternoon Tea and it seemed to be a very fun and entertaining afternoon which we are glad we could play our part in it.

I will of course be sure to thank Ben on delivering such an attentive and entertaining level of service for you all and it is great to read you will be happy to return in the future.

Solihull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I visited Hotel Du Vin on Saturday as a group of 4.
I have visited a few times before for cocktails of an early evening and experienced great service in relaxed surroundings.
We ordered the £14.50 per person afternoon tea- a pot of tea, sandwiches, scones and cakes.
Unfortunately the sandwiches were hard as if they had been left out. The scones were delicious as was the jam that was provided. The cakes were pretty disappointing (although they looked great) and just a bit "meh"- they certainly didn't taste homemade.
We waited nearly 20 minutes for our bill as there were no waiting staff in the afternoon tea room. We were not asked if we wanted to order more drinks or food, or if we were ok with what we'd ordered.
There was a stereo in the corner playing a really odd selection of music which varied from Kings of Leon to Michael Jackson.... It just didn't really work with the afternoon tea theme.

I was also disappointed that the teapot had a tea bag in it rather than tea leaves. I know it's picky but I would expect tea leaves in such a lovely venue.

Overall I was disappointed with afternoon tea. The only reason I have given 3 rather than 2 stars is my excellent experience at the hotel before.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LauraH250
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor after choosing Hotel du Vin Birmingham to have afternoon tea.

Quite clearly from your past experiences the level of service in the bar enjoying cocktails has led you to book afternoon tea. It does however seem that this level of service has not been reflected and delivered when you have returned for Afternoon Tea.

What really disappoints me to read is the lack of attention to detail in the service delivered with regards to the attentiveness of the team and their choice in music which of course plays its part in creating an ambience in the Afternoon Tea room.

I hope we have the opportunity of demonstrating that this was an isolated incident and one we are keen to avoid in the future so rest assured it has been addressed in order to avoid a repeat in the future.

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

We have had a fab time at this beautiful spa, we had use of sauna and steam rooms then two treatments each by a very lovely professional lady called Rachel, excellent massage and facial.
Nothing was too much trouble and Gaby the receptionist was fab too.
Can't recommend this enough.Will be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback after a wonderful experience in our Spa here at Hotel du Vin.

Obviously the majority of our guests that share reviews on our tripadvisor page are based on other areas and departments in the hotel but this delights me to read how well and professionally you have been looked after in our Spa.

I will be sure to feedback these comments to the ladies in the Spa Team and of course we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards – Matthew Kinnes
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

A great disappointment. Have stayed in hotels du vin in other cities and this is really poor. Overpriced at £169 for a single night, no breakfast. Mark up on wine at dinner at least 300% compared to exactly same wine same year bought two days later in major supermarket. Food was reasonable standard.
Rooms impossibly dark, broken window blind, and very shabby with chipped paint, non functioning coffee machine etc.
Disinterested reception staff- acknowledged the place needed refurbishment but there were no feedback forms, and when asked how to give feedback, they did not know.
Avoid this hotel!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your comments on your most recent visit to Hotel du Vin Birmingham. I am very sorry to read that quite clearly we have not met your expectations on this visit and there are a number of areas we need to improve as not only was the standard of your room not acceptable but more so how the team have then handled your comments when given the opportunity.

Rest assured as a business that is dependent on the thoughts and opinions of our guests your review will be investigated further to avoid a repeat in the future.

Once again my apologies – Matt Kinnes
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

A very individuel hotel in the heart of birmingham, with some really nice touches in the room. Great to see a huge walk in drench shower, Nespresso machine in the room a fantastic amount of space and a very large bed. Staff were all very attentive and the hotel had a buzz about it where it seamed everyone really wanted to take care of you.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor very quiet
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Hotel du Vin Birmingham on our trip advisor page. You have quite clearly had a wonderful experience which delights me to read about. I will ensure your comments are shared with the teams.

Hope to see you back again.