“Hotel du extra mile”

Ranked #37 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
London
“Hotel du extra mile”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Visited for an overnight with a friend on our first visit to Brum, and from the moment I made the first phone call, every single person I dealt with went the extra mile to be helpful. Everything from a free upgrade (without me asking for it), to extra time in the room, to satisfying an awkward menu request with an 'of course madam.' And even when we overslept badly there were no grumpy looks at the breakfast table, even though many of the morning staff were the same ones who had been on the night before. I would like to say I have never had a better welcome and better service in any of the many hotels I have stayed in throughout the world, and would like to compliment all the staff on their professionalism and friendly manner. Oh, and the food was delicious, the rooms huge, a shower that I could have shared with a rugby team and the bed - well it was so good I slept 10 solid hours without waking up. Top top marks - give everyone a pay rise

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent visit to Hotel du Vin Birmingham.

From reading such a positive review it seems that the team throughout the hotel have met your expectations in so many different areas which thrills me to read. I will ensure your comments are shared with all of our team members.

To compare the level of service and welcome to one of best you have experienced around the world, it is a huge pleasure for us to read that we have exceeded our guest’s expectations.

With that in mind I hope it is not too long before we see you returning to Hotel du Vin Birmingham in the future.

Matthew Kinnes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Chessington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We were in Pommery, a large room at the front of the hotel. The room was lovely with a massive bed, relaxing chairs, desk, fridge and tea and coffee facilities. The huge bathroom had the usual walk-in shower and free-standing bath. The only problem, which isn't the hotel's fault is that Birmingham gets quite noisy on a Friday night, which woke me a couple of times, despite earplugs!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Many thanks for your feedback following your recent visit to Hotel du Vin Birmingham.
It delights me to read such positive feedback about the styling of the bedroom along with the layout of the bathroom. We are working hard to improve our standards in the bedrooms to further enhance our guest’s expectations all the time.

It is unfortunate that the noise in the city was really loud and has woken you up a couple of times throughout the night. We work hard during the night with our night team to try and ensure any noise and nuisance on the streets is moved on as quickly as possible. This obviously is not always as easy as it sounds.

Hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

This restaurant offers great food and a fantastic atmosphere. The menu is a little pricey but this is a classic case of you get what you pay for. Well recommended for special occasions and fine dining.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Warren S
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thanks for taking the time to share a review on our trip advisor page.

Delighted to read you had great food in a fantastic atmosphere and that you feel our setting is ideal for special occasion in the future.

With that in mind I hope to see you back soon.

Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I went to the brasserie, had great food and wine. I had a steak, it was cooked just the way i like it, well done. Staff is well trained and friendly. After dinner we moved to the bar, I'm not fan of alcohol, so me and my husband had some coffee. My family and i are very pleased with everything. Thank you

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Many thanks for sharing your comments following your recent dining experience at Bistro du Vin.

Glad to hear that the service along with the quality of the food met your expectations in the Bistro and after that you enjoyed some post-dinner drinks in the Bubble Lounge.

Hope you see you back again soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

My daughter & I visited here for a birthday treat during her birthday shopping trip. She is only 15 and had never done anything like this before so she had nothing to compare it to, but I have. Firstly I was disappointed that I was promised on booking some recognition for her birthday (I think the lady taking the booking said a birthday plate??) but no recognition of any sort was done. Although the sandwiches looked nice the white bread was quite dry, to much mustard on the ham & mustard & scones a little hard too but tasted nice along with clotted cream & very nice jam. The macaroons were very, very soft but I'm not sure how they are supposed to be served. The other 2 cakes were nice too and although there was plenty enough for us we were never offered anymore like I've been offered elsewhere. No the choice of plain scones either. We were offered more tea and did just stick to the "fair trade" one as the waitress was unable to recommend any other??? And it did look a little unprofessional seeing her check her phone! And at the end rather than being civilly bought a bill, I was told I had to walk to the bar in the other room & pay there. I didn't say anything on the day due to occasion and the main thing was my daughter enjoyed her day BUT very disappointed Hotel Du Vin and certainly would not return or recommend afternoon tea at £14:50 per head.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Jullip08
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on our trip advisor page. It seems from reading your comments we have really disappointed you as our guest for Afternoon Tea not only with the quality of the food we offered but also the level of service delivered.

This experience is not what we would expect here at Hotel du Vin and your comments will be taken very seriously and addressed with Lounge team as I do not find this acceptable. I am sorry that the experience did not meet the expectations of the occasion but obviously glad to read your daughter her enjoyed her day though.

It is very disappointing to read a guest is not prepared to return and I hope we have the opportunity of restoring some faith in you in the future.

Once again my apologies on your experience.

Regards

Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Fourteen of us gathered here for afternoon tea with champagne. We were given the Sassicaia room, which was a perfect size, and access to the courtyard which was a great place for the children to play. The afternoon tea was excellent: various sandwiches, scones with cream and jam, and an assortment of delicious little cakes. We had our own personal waiter who could not have been more helpful, attentive, or entertaining - ask for Ben! The hotel is only 10 minutes' walk from New Street station, so a great meeting place for a group like ours who came from all over the country. We were able to use the room for as long as we liked. I'd be happy to come here again for a similar occasion.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share you experience here at Hotel du Vin Birmingham. I have to say I was working on the day you and your group enjoyed Afternoon Tea and it seemed to be a very fun and entertaining afternoon which we are glad we could play our part in it.

I will of course be sure to thank Ben on delivering such an attentive and entertaining level of service for you all and it is great to read you will be happy to return in the future.

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I visited Hotel Du Vin on Saturday as a group of 4.
I have visited a few times before for cocktails of an early evening and experienced great service in relaxed surroundings.
We ordered the £14.50 per person afternoon tea- a pot of tea, sandwiches, scones and cakes.
Unfortunately the sandwiches were hard as if they had been left out. The scones were delicious as was the jam that was provided. The cakes were pretty disappointing (although they looked great) and just a bit "meh"- they certainly didn't taste homemade.
We waited nearly 20 minutes for our bill as there were no waiting staff in the afternoon tea room. We were not asked if we wanted to order more drinks or food, or if we were ok with what we'd ordered.
There was a stereo in the corner playing a really odd selection of music which varied from Kings of Leon to Michael Jackson.... It just didn't really work with the afternoon tea theme.

I was also disappointed that the teapot had a tea bag in it rather than tea leaves. I know it's picky but I would expect tea leaves in such a lovely venue.

Overall I was disappointed with afternoon tea. The only reason I have given 3 rather than 2 stars is my excellent experience at the hotel before.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LauraH250
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor after choosing Hotel du Vin Birmingham to have afternoon tea.

Quite clearly from your past experiences the level of service in the bar enjoying cocktails has led you to book afternoon tea. It does however seem that this level of service has not been reflected and delivered when you have returned for Afternoon Tea.

What really disappoints me to read is the lack of attention to detail in the service delivered with regards to the attentiveness of the team and their choice in music which of course plays its part in creating an ambience in the Afternoon Tea room.

I hope we have the opportunity of demonstrating that this was an isolated incident and one we are keen to avoid in the future so rest assured it has been addressed in order to avoid a repeat in the future.