“terribly disappointing”

Ranked #31 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Manchester, United Kingdom
“terribly disappointing”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

our third trip. previously were more than satisfied but this time were savagely disappointed . something has gone terribly wrong with this place. to start there was no hint of an offer of assistance with our bags when we arrived. We were then misdirected to our room .The room itself was large (we'd paid for a suite) but grubby. The centre of the room had been vacuumed but there was thick dust and even bits of tissue and a sweet wrapper at the edges.The tired brown furniture was dirty and stained.I had the misfortune of using the public toilet off reception a truly gruesome experience : dirtiest toilet i've been to in a very long time. All in all a very poor show by this hotel. Am terribly disappointed. Good location and the bed was comfortable has nothing else going for it

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nialaw
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Reviewer – I am very disappointed to read how underwhelming your stay has been this time round. Knowing you have stayed before you will of course know first hand how Hotel du Vin Birmingham should be which makes these comments all the more disappointing to read. I can only apologise on behalf of the team that the standards were not as you would have expected and I will be addressing these comments with the relevant Heads of Departments in the hotel.

I hope I have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future to demonstrate that these standards are not what we accept here at the hotel. Should you wish to return please do not hesitate to contact me personally at dgm.birmingham@hotelduvin.com and I will manage all aspects of your bookings.

Matthew Kinnes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
UK
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed two nights this week. Room on the third floor was fine, nothing particularly special. Credit where due, the bed was very comfortable, duvet and pillows wonderful. Air conditioning was effective and silent. Everything else about the room was pretty standard. The bathroom was gloomy and had fair amount of black in the grouting around the bath - very off putting. Rain shower effective until someone operated the same in the next room (I guess) and water pressure and temperature went all over the place. Wasted a lot of water turning it off. Nice TV, easy to operate. Good free internet.

Breakfast was excellent.

I was facilitating a meeting in the hotel and with hindsight this was a mistake. Aside from issues on day one caused by last minute staff shortage, there were some fundamental issues. Nightmare getting the blazing hot radiator turned off (23 degrees outside), blocked fire exit full of high chairs, very strange working lunch menu, stewed coffee. Very disappointing (My organisation has used the Hotel du Vin Winchester for many years and it is always a pleasure to host a meeting there).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience here at Hotel du Vin Birmingham.

Obviously there has been a number of issues when you were here and I know that these have been addressed since the event and there was areas where the service delivered was not to the standard we expect and on this occasion we let you down,

I can only apologise on behalf of the team that these shortcomings occurred and rest assured the team were very disappointed and have learned a valuable lesson to avoid a repeat in the future. I hope we have the opportunity in the future of restoring your faith in us and to demonstrate this was an unusual and isolated incident.

Once again, my apologies.

Bham UK
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have to be upfront and say I have a friend who works for the Hotel Du Vin group so we only paid £75 for a luxury room with breakfast. This clearly has a bearing on my review as perhaps I would be more picky had we paid £200+?
The building itself is quite grand but still has a cosy feeling as you enter. Check in was quick and courteous as you would expect. I like the fact you get a 'proper' key not a card but that's just personal preference. We were in 'Krug' on the 3rd floor which certainly had the wow factor as it's huge! Lovely big superking bed, nice crisp white cotton bedding. Good quality coffee machine too. The bathroom was very grand - a big roll top bath and separate walk in rainfall shower but the overwhelming luxury for us was the feeling of space in a city centre hotel ( I've stayed in Malmaison at the Mailbox in Birmingham and some of the luxury rooms there are tiny ). The room seemed well insulated ( or perhaps it's just a solid old building! ) as we couldn't hear anyone else when in there which was lovely.
Breakfast in the bistro was also a lovely experience. The room is light and airy and is cosy rather than intimidating. Great continental selection of pastries/cereals/compote/fruit/yoghurt etc. I had the eggs benedict with smoked salmon and the hollandaise sauce was sublime. My other half had the french toast and was suitably impressed too. All in all a lovely treat and I would definitely stay here again. It's worth noting that the vaults bar in the cellars is great for a cosy drink but the drinks are REALLY expensive ( however you get olives etc to nibble on too ).

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to a luxury room they are significantly bigger than the standard ones.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on our tripadvisor page following your recent stay to Hotel du Vin Birmingham. Great to read how much you enjoyed your experience here taking advantage of a friends and family offer. ‘Krug’ is one my favourite rooms in the hotel so I can appreciate your comments on the bedroom.

Glad you had a good time in Birmingham and I will be sure to share comments with the team.

Hope to see you back again soon.

Many Thanks

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I booked a double room and upgraded to a studio via the email offer. A treat for myself after a long week of travelling.

I have stayed in a few Hotel Du Vin/ Mal Maison hotels and love them. They are luxury. A treat as I mentioned. After all 2/3rds of my year is spent in hotel rooms so I want something with character not something that is the same no matter where I go.

My studio suite whilst big was souless and really quite dark. It looked onto an outdoor courtyard with just a small window.

The bed itself, whilst fine, was recessed at the furthest point. I like to have natural light to wake up to. Barely any here. Another thing to note. There were no plugs at all in this recessed section. Why do hotels do this? People need to charge their phones for example by side of the bed.

The design of the room was odd. The sofa was in front of the bed hiding the bottom half of the TV the other side of the room. The internet was truly abysmal. Painfull slow. I don't care that is was free. I would pay for good internet. This was unusable and a huge issue for me. I actually had to go to my car outside to make a Skype phone to call to the US it was that bad. Neither my EE or THREE mobile phones had any reception in the room.

The staff were excellent, the hotel has a lovely feel and the restaurant is excellent. The breakfast was worth including.

Bathroom was by far the best feature of the room. Lovely bath and shower.

Such a huge disappointment.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PhilipBloom
Many thanks for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay to Hotel du Vin. It is clear to see from your comments the style and layout of your bedroom has not met your expectations. I am disappointed to read this and can understand your frustrations on the internet and layout of the bedroom.

We hope in the not too distant future to be in a position where all our bedrooms will be undergoing a complete refurbishment which will of course improve the bedrooms and eliminate these issues.

On a more positive note I am glad to read the team in the hotel were excellent and you had a nice time in the Bistro.

Many Thanks

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

I had the absolute pleasure of dining with family and friends at Hotel Du Vin as a surprise birthday meal arranged by my fiance. The surprise itself was very well played as when we arrived we were seated at a table for two within the main dining area. I'd just ordered a glass of wine when my fiance asked whether here was a better table available and the waitress was more than happy to fulfil this request by leading us through the lobby and around to a large dining room. I thought it a bit odd that it was completely dark, until on entry my friends and family sprang out to surprise me! We were seated at a beautiful table in elegant surroundings and so the party began. Firstly, I cannot praise our waiter Jordan enough. He was extremely polite, attentive and had a lovely personality. Testament to his professionalism, he served us until 2am with various drinks requests and even provided us with some portable speakers so that we could play some background music. The menu was a set three course but had 3 choices from each course so there was something for everyone's palate. I had the French Onion soup (the best I've ever had), the fillet of salmon and I didn't have a dessert due to the fact that I'd eaten earlier, however they all looked amazing and the rest of the group thoroughly enjoyed theirs. Simply put, I cannot fault the experience and I always manage to find fault in something! Thank you to all staff and a special thanks to Jordan for making my birthday a truly memorable experience. A final note...I also highly recommend their 4 course Sunday lunch which is superb value at £25 a head with choices to suit all. Will be back soon :)

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Wow – from reading your review it is quite clear you have had a fantastic experience here at Hotel du Vin. What a lovely surprise – well done to your fiancé!!! Great to hear how well Jordan has looked after your party all night. Its sounds like it was a really fun evening. Hope to see you back for Sunday Brunch in the future. I am a huge fan of our Sunday Brunch too!!!

Many thanks for your review.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Went to their spa on a girl's afternoon out with my fiance's daughter. The staff were very nice and courteous. Think it was a sweet girl called Rachel who did my treatment and she was very nice. I had a massage done, which was very relaxing. Before and after the treatment Rachel explained the techniques used, provided info for ongoing care for some trouble areas and used oils that were good for my skin as I have a very sensitive skin. The change/ shower rooms are excellent and the entire experience at this spa was beautiful. If you are staying here, try it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a response on our tripadvisor page following your Spa experience. I will be sure to recognise Rachel on the service she has delivered for your girls afternoon. It is quite clear reading your comments you have had thoroughly enjoyable afternoon in Spa Du Vin.

Hope to see you back again in the future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I went here while on a girls weekend for an afternoon tea. We all ordered different types of afternoon tea depending on the tipple we fancied. Given the cost inclucded alcohol, it was quite reasonable price wise. The service was good, the girls were very friendly and we had a bit of giggle with them which was nice. Afternoon tea was served through in a private room which was quite elegant and we enjoyed the privacy as there were only 2 other tables in even though the adjoining room was quite full. We were given a table with big comfy sofas and we had lots of room to spread out.

The afternoon tea itself was delicious. A decent amount of sandwiches, really tasty scones and a large selections of cakes (I think 5 or 6 each) including fancy desserts like an elderflower posset! The whole experience was lovely and I would definitely go back and would recommend it. I'm very sad there isn't a Hotel du Vin in Aberdeen!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Many thanks for sharing your comments following your Afternoon Tea experience here at Hotel du Vin. I am thrilled to read you had a great time and more importantly the service delivered added to the experience. I will make sure your response is shared with the team.

Finally you never know about a Hotel du Vin in Aberdeen in the future. It would be great for the group to open another property in Scotland having 3 already in Edinburgh, Glasgow and now St Andrews.