“Best hotel in Birmingham”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #32 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night as part of an anniversary celebration.

There are not many high end hotels in Birmingham so we thought we would try here.

Arrived to find our room wasn't ready (I think they had had a housekeeping nightmare). No bother, they pleasantly apologised and offered a free drink in the bar. The room took about 30 mins to become available.

The room itself was good with a comfy bed . The bathroom was pretty standard.

Only slightly annoying thing was having to pay for water in the room.

Breakfast the next morning was excellent. Apart from the average croissants, all other food was great.

The thing that stood out overall was the exceptional service. Usually at hotel breakfast, there is a skeleton staff and you have to wait for ages. Not in this case. We were very well looked after and the young lady who served us was delightful. Really made a difference.

All in all a great stay and would thoroughly recommend it for a weekend night away.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Kevin

I was delighted to read your wonderful review, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community, particularly in relation to our friendly and attentive team.

We hope we can welcome you back again very soon.

Best regards, Tony

Tony Elvin

There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin & Bistro

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The Birmingham Hotel du Vin maintains the character and feel of this luxury brand. Our room was lovely, clean and a very decent size. The hotel is in a great location close to many of Birmingham's best attractions and restaurants. The only reason I didn't award 5 stars was because we were let down slightly by the breakfast staff, they were simply very short staffed with no manager in sight to help overcome what was clearly a very busy service.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HdVMgr, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Thank you for your review on our trip advisor page following your stay at Hotel du Vin Birmingham.

Obviously delighted to read to loved our bedrooms and location here in Birmingham City Centre.

I also appreciate your comments about the breakfast service on the following morning and I am sure I know which morning it was and rest assured it has been discussed with the relevant Heads of Department to try and avoid a repeat in the future.

Hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Most self service breakfasts are all fairly similar but not at the Hotel du Vin ! I attended a normal business breakfast meeting when the most discussed topic became the quality of the bacon.It seemed to be hand carved ,was a generous thickness and was delicious.Well done for making something everyday into something special.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments about what seems to be a wonderful, breakfast experience here at Hotel du Vin.

I will be sure to share your views on the bacon with the kitchen team!!

Hope to see you back again soon for breakfast and to start your day off well.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

our third trip. previously were more than satisfied but this time were savagely disappointed . something has gone terribly wrong with this place. to start there was no hint of an offer of assistance with our bags when we arrived. We were then misdirected to our room .The room itself was large (we'd paid for a suite) but grubby. The centre of the room had been vacuumed but there was thick dust and even bits of tissue and a sweet wrapper at the edges.The tired brown furniture was dirty and stained.I had the misfortune of using the public toilet off reception a truly gruesome experience : dirtiest toilet i've been to in a very long time. All in all a very poor show by this hotel. Am terribly disappointed. Good location and the bed was comfortable has nothing else going for it

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nialaw

Dear Reviewer – I am very disappointed to read how underwhelming your stay has been this time round. Knowing you have stayed before you will of course know first hand how Hotel du Vin Birmingham should be which makes these comments all the more disappointing to read. I can only apologise on behalf of the team that the standards were not as you would have expected and I will be addressing these comments with the relevant Heads of Departments in the hotel.

I hope I have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future to demonstrate that these standards are not what we accept here at the hotel. Should you wish to return please do not hesitate to contact me personally at dgm.birmingham@hotelduvin.com and I will manage all aspects of your bookings.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed two nights this week. Room on the third floor was fine, nothing particularly special. Credit where due, the bed was very comfortable, duvet and pillows wonderful. Air conditioning was effective and silent. Everything else about the room was pretty standard. The bathroom was gloomy and had fair amount of black in the grouting around the bath - very off putting. Rain shower effective until someone operated the same in the next room (I guess) and water pressure and temperature went all over the place. Wasted a lot of water turning it off. Nice TV, easy to operate. Good free internet.

Breakfast was excellent.

I was facilitating a meeting in the hotel and with hindsight this was a mistake. Aside from issues on day one caused by last minute staff shortage, there were some fundamental issues. Nightmare getting the blazing hot radiator turned off (23 degrees outside), blocked fire exit full of high chairs, very strange working lunch menu, stewed coffee. Very disappointing (My organisation has used the Hotel du Vin Winchester for many years and it is always a pleasure to host a meeting there).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience here at Hotel du Vin Birmingham.

Obviously there has been a number of issues when you were here and I know that these have been addressed since the event and there was areas where the service delivered was not to the standard we expect and on this occasion we let you down,

I can only apologise on behalf of the team that these shortcomings occurred and rest assured the team were very disappointed and have learned a valuable lesson to avoid a repeat in the future. I hope we have the opportunity in the future of restoring your faith in us and to demonstrate this was an unusual and isolated incident.

Once again, my apologies.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have to be upfront and say I have a friend who works for the Hotel Du Vin group so we only paid £75 for a luxury room with breakfast. This clearly has a bearing on my review as perhaps I would be more picky had we paid £200+?
The building itself is quite grand but still has a cosy feeling as you enter. Check in was quick and courteous as you would expect. I like the fact you get a 'proper' key not a card but that's just personal preference. We were in 'Krug' on the 3rd floor which certainly had the wow factor as it's huge! Lovely big superking bed, nice crisp white cotton bedding. Good quality coffee machine too. The bathroom was very grand - a big roll top bath and separate walk in rainfall shower but the overwhelming luxury for us was the feeling of space in a city centre hotel ( I've stayed in Malmaison at the Mailbox in Birmingham and some of the luxury rooms there are tiny ). The room seemed well insulated ( or perhaps it's just a solid old building! ) as we couldn't hear anyone else when in there which was lovely.
Breakfast in the bistro was also a lovely experience. The room is light and airy and is cosy rather than intimidating. Great continental selection of pastries/cereals/compote/fruit/yoghurt etc. I had the eggs benedict with smoked salmon and the hollandaise sauce was sublime. My other half had the french toast and was suitably impressed too. All in all a lovely treat and I would definitely stay here again. It's worth noting that the vaults bar in the cellars is great for a cosy drink but the drinks are REALLY expensive ( however you get olives etc to nibble on too ).

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to a luxury room they are significantly bigger than the standard ones.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on our tripadvisor page following your recent stay to Hotel du Vin Birmingham. Great to read how much you enjoyed your experience here taking advantage of a friends and family offer. ‘Krug’ is one my favourite rooms in the hotel so I can appreciate your comments on the bedroom.

Glad you had a good time in Birmingham and I will be sure to share comments with the team.

Hope to see you back again soon.

Many Thanks

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I booked a double room and upgraded to a studio via the email offer. A treat for myself after a long week of travelling.

I have stayed in a few Hotel Du Vin/ Mal Maison hotels and love them. They are luxury. A treat as I mentioned. After all 2/3rds of my year is spent in hotel rooms so I want something with character not something that is the same no matter where I go.

My studio suite whilst big was souless and really quite dark. It looked onto an outdoor courtyard with just a small window.

The bed itself, whilst fine, was recessed at the furthest point. I like to have natural light to wake up to. Barely any here. Another thing to note. There were no plugs at all in this recessed section. Why do hotels do this? People need to charge their phones for example by side of the bed.

The design of the room was odd. The sofa was in front of the bed hiding the bottom half of the TV the other side of the room. The internet was truly abysmal. Painfull slow. I don't care that is was free. I would pay for good internet. This was unusable and a huge issue for me. I actually had to go to my car outside to make a Skype phone to call to the US it was that bad. Neither my EE or THREE mobile phones had any reception in the room.

The staff were excellent, the hotel has a lovely feel and the restaurant is excellent. The breakfast was worth including.

Bathroom was by far the best feature of the room. Lovely bath and shower.

Such a huge disappointment.

1  Thank PhilipBloom

Many thanks for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay to Hotel du Vin. It is clear to see from your comments the style and layout of your bedroom has not met your expectations. I am disappointed to read this and can understand your frustrations on the internet and layout of the bedroom.

We hope in the not too distant future to be in a position where all our bedrooms will be undergoing a complete refurbishment which will of course improve the bedrooms and eliminate these issues.

On a more positive note I am glad to read the team in the hotel were excellent and you had a nice time in the Bistro.

Many Thanks