“Customer Care Top Notch”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #31 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Hotel du Vin, Birmingham, for a wedding anniversary. The staff there were really amazing. On arrival the duty manger stood and chatted with us, asking the where we were from and why we were staying. Minutes later a bottle of champagne was sent up to the room with a card wishing us a happy anniversary.
The room was great, clean with a very nice decor. Reception staff were helpful, even when clearly very busy with a queue of people waiting.
And at breakfast nothing was a problem. Overall a very pleasing stay and I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Hi Lee

That was me, haha. It was a pleasure to chat to you both and we were thrilled that you chose us to share your anniversary celebrations. A fitting venue I believe.

We hope to see you again soon.

Kindest regards and thanks for the lovely review.

Tony

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I found this Hotel & it seemed perfectly placed for my partner to do some shopping in the Bullring, etc. While I attended a meeting on Saturday about 2 miles away.

Bad choice I have to say, although ideal for the shopping aspect I expected luxury or very close to it for the £290 I spent for 2 nights, (Friday & Saturday) then there was an additional £20 per night for parking which is quite obviously a RIP OFF as your car is taken to the local Snow Hill Station around the corner by whoever happens to be on reception at the time & the person that took mine stalled it twice before going anywhere, my heart was in my mouth! Snow Hill station car park is probably something like £5 for all day under normal circumstances!

Back to the Hotel, the room was big, but the floor creaked & cracked & squeaked! the bathroom was spacious with a nice bath & large powerful shower area but was poorly lit making it difficult to see to shave, etc.
The room was also dimly lit too, so there was no advantage to trying to see to shave in there either.

Due to the location of our room, first floor & to the side & where I can only presume the kitchens were underneath it was extemely noisy through most of Friday night & into the early hours of Saturday morning with some kind of fan or air conditioning unit working loudly somewhere, then to really add insult to injury the bottle collection/binmen came at 06:30 on both Saturday & Sunday morning!

Me & my partner are not real drinkers (Thankfully, due to the price at this place!!) however we did decide to try a nightcap after our Saturday night stroll out, after we had chosen to eat somewhere else. So upon entering the rather dingy bar or 'bubbles' lounge or whatever they called it we were absoutely astounded at the prices! i.e. 2 single vodkas & a bottle of diet coke between us came to the sum of £11.10, I do believe, (although as I say we are not Pub regulars) my nearest Pub charge something like £4.40 with coke from a soda stream type device behind the Bar.

Anyway, all in all to sum up although the staff were pleasant enough this place was definately not my cup of tea & my pertner did point out we would have been better off in a Travel Lodge as there was nothing in this hotel that a Travel Lodge couldn't supply & at a fraction of the cost!
Shall not return I'm afraid.

Room Tip: Speaking from my one experience the room was very noisy, I was offered an upgrade via Email the day...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Shaun G

Dear Shaun

Thank you taking the time to post this and your other similar review regarding your stay.

Again, I am very sorry that you did not feel the experience was good value despite the good service from my team.

You mentioned that the Travel Lodge is better value and I have to say that the Travel Lodge is exceptional on price. However, Hotel du Vin is really more about engaging, personal attentive service and the very best in food and beverage quality and knowledge, delivered in a unique, quirky and classically beautiful setting.

I hope you will give us another try but perhaps, next time, book in for one of our excellent value dinner inclusive deals.

Kindest regards and thank you once again for your feedback

Tony

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Review by Derek & Elaine from Moseley, This was our first visit to the wonderful Bistro restaurant at Hotel Du Vin and we enjoyed what must be the best meal we have had for years after a pleasant drink and super service in the luxurious hotel bar.

The Bistro decor is beautiful and the atmosphere, lighting and music are perfect for dining. The staff are so cheerful, helpful, professional and attentive. We had the fixed price 3-course meal for under £20 which is served before 7:00pm and it's great value for money. The quality of the food, the way it was cooked, presented and served were all excellent. We were offered freshly baked delicious breed and a complimentary glass of wine included in the meal price.

We have already decided to return to the Bistro again and I'm sure we will become regular customers and fans of what must be one of the best places in Brum to dine and we will recommend it to everyone. (We did that for Lasan Indian Restaurant in Brum and it deservedly won Gordon Ramsay's local restaurant prize so we have an idea of what is good!).

Well done to all the staff and many thanks; we are now great fans and can't wait to return!

Dear Derek and Elaine

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. (a copy of which I note has been printed off by my team and posted on our Bistro notice board with a huge smiley face on!!)

We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon for many more similar experiences.

Kindest regards, Tony and the HdV team

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Certainly well located on the edge of the Victorian quarter with a charming ambience being the old eye hospital. The staff were at every point helpful and the food was good if lacking adventure. The rooms are extremely spacious as are the bath and shower area. I do have to admit to the outside ambient noise, the large Victorian windows inevitably allow in a heck of a lot of the outside world. And the bedside lighting is atrocious to say the least.
Nevertheless spend £75 on food and drink and the room for the night is £25. We walked around the corner to a pub with a choice of a dozen real ales on tap (tried three ;-) before returning for our meal ... Well at £5 for a pint and a half of draft beer in the pub (the Wellington) versus £10 for two small bottles of beer in the hotel is a no brainer when it comes to choice.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear "Llusson"

Thank you for taking the time to share a review on your Hotel du Vin experience.

I am delighted to hear that you found our Sunday night deal such good value and that the service delivered by my team was so consistently good. A bedroom for £25 when spending £75 in the Bistro is a great deal.

Perhaps you might consider joining us on another day of the week in future though to enjoy the wonderful cask ales served in our own Pub du Vin downstairs, you will likely find the prices very similar to the local pub. Alternatively, my team in the Bubble Lounge would be only too happy to run downstairs to pour you a pint.

Best regards and thanks again, Tony

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The hotel looks great from the outside, but the reception is crammed into a tiny corner you can hardly see it. A bit of a nuisance when there are several people waiting.
The room was dingy but this was because of the poor lighting.I had to put my makeup on in the bathroom because of poor lighting and the mirror was so far away in the bedroom.
The bed was good but the pillows were really poor quality. I had to use the cushions under my pillows. The window blinds don't fit the windows properly so if the light seeping in at dawn doesn't wake you the noise from the kitchen extractor the bin men or the road sweepers will, and all before 8am. Not very relaxing, but that might just be the location of that room.
We were in Lenoble room if you are unfortunate enough to get this room expect the noisiest creakiest floor. Not just in places but all over it was positively annoying.
The staff were perfectly nice and work hard, but all in all not worth the £290.00 for two nights 2 people with no breakfast. We had a drink in Bubbles bar two vodkas diet coke with ice and lemon just over £11.00 the whole place is overpriced.
It is stated that car parking available. This actually means a member of staff will drive your car to the nearest multi story car park. You will be charged £20.00 per night for this. This hiked the total bill up to £330 for 2 nights. Sorry Hotel Du Vin it just wasn't worth it.

Dear Diane

Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your recent stay at Hotel du Vin.

I am very sorry to hear that you were so disappointed, particularly as you felt the service received during your stay was so good. Dining in the hotel gives us an even better opportunity to wow our guests and you will see some great value dinner inclusive offers available online.

I am sorry you felt frustrated with the parking arrangements, like most city centre hotels, car parking space is at a premium, hence why we provide valet parking at an additional charge by our trained and insured front of house team. Valet parked cars are parked in Snow Hill car park but in a designated secure area with 24 hour access. However, as detailed on our website and on your booking confirmation, there are other options.

We have parking metres all around the hotel, free after 7.30pm and Snow Hill Car Park is just one block away at £10.80 per 24 hours offering access between 7am and 10pm.

I do hope you will consider returning again and taking advantage of some of our great value dining deals to get the full Hotel du Vin experience.

Best regards, Tony

Reviewed 6 July 2014

A mixed review, stayed to celebrate graduation. Room was lovely, nesspresso machine was a nice touch. Would have liked water rather than use bathroom or pay for it put of the fridge. Overall accommodation was good, bathroom a bit tired and needed a deep clean ( wear n tear). We had a drink in the bar which was lovely, then went through to dinner. This was not a good experience due to the service being less than we expected. A large party were in and the staff were not dealing with it particularly well with other smaller tables being left for long period 45 mins to order then further 35 mins wait and only on asking did our starters arrived. In the middle of the meal we were asked to move so the waitress could stand on our chair and table to open a window. Breakfast was not much better, same staff as previous night, This was slow having to remind the staff no tea or coffee had been brought, toast never arrived. Great concept and quirky but service let it down, we will be back at sister hotel malmaison in future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma G

Dear Emma

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall but very sorry to hear that service in the Bistro did not live up to our own very high standards. As you will see from the other reviews across TripAdvisor, the Bistro is usually the highlight of our guest's stay and a popular dining destination in it's own right.

I hope we may have the opportunity to improve the lasting impression you have of Hotel du Vin. Perhaps when you are next looking to dine out or stay away for the night you will consider dropping me a note so that I can personally ensure you enjoy a wonderful time.

Kindest regards, Tony

tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com

Reviewed 5 July 2014

This hotel was recommended to us and didn't disappoint! The location is great with only a short walk to pubs, restaurants and shops. The staff are friendly, professional and made us feel welcome. Our room was amazing and so big....we also received an upgrade so even better. The bathroom had a huge walk in shower and stand alone bath. The breakfast was lovely with a great selection of foods and again the service was spot on. Overall we would highly recommend this hotel and look forward to staying again.

Dear Mozza

Thank you for your wonderful review.

I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed such a good stay and that we lived up to your friend's reccommendations.

We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Best regards, Tony and team