“Vintage & french food”

Ranked #31 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Vintage & french food”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed at Hotel Du Vin for a few nights on a business trip and I really loved the place. It is an old (Victorian?) building in the middle of the 'business' part of Birmingham city centre.
The restaurant, bar and courtyard are the perfect representation of the English idea of France; homely, sophisticated and vaguely kitsch.
Food in the restaurant is excellent both at breakfast and dinner (French cuisine) with huge portions and friendly staff.
My room was dark (dark furniture, dark fabrics, dark floor), cozy, well appointed and with a definitely vintage atmosphere (it would be slightly tired if the place wasn't so charming).
Great choice of wines, a wine shop, room names wine related - it is definitely a Hotel Du Vin. T

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear viaben

Thank you so much for your kind review.

We are a bit kitsch I suppose aren't we!? And yes, a Victorian building, formerly the Birmingham Eye Hospital until around 35 years ago where it lay derelict until we got our hands on it in 2001.

We are constantly spending money on the hotel and improving it so some of the areas that are perhaps overly distressed are getting a refresh, without destroying the character of course.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards and thanks again, Tony

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Having stayed at Hotel du Vin in Edinburgh we were really looking forward to our stay. On arrival (5pm) our room was still not ready so we checked in our bags and went into the city centre. On returning to our room some champagne and note of apology from the manger had been left for us. However our room was terribly average - leaking window frames, paint on blinds, mouldy shower grout and just a general feeling of tiredness/ shabby-ness. We used the hotel restaurant for dinner and the 'tired' theme continued - the restaurant food was reasonable, had some nice fish. What used to feel like a special hotel chain seems very ordinary and lacking even some basic standards now. Time for a refurbishment!

Stayed July 2014
Dear PJA

Thank you sharing your feedback.

I am so sorry to hear of your disappointment and wish we had known at the time to do something about it. A refurbishment is imminent although I do not have a start date just yet.

I am pleased you appreciated the gesture of a bottle of bubbly for your late check in and I hope we may change your lasting impression of the hotel on a return visit.

If you are planning to return to the area, please drop me an email. tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed here for the 3rd time last weekend. We were a bit disappointed with or first visit (some years ago) as there was a wedding taking place and the bar area was reserved for the wedding. I think is is a bit naughty when no mention is made of it at the time of booking.
We have stayed at 3 of the hotels in the du vin chain (Bristol, Harrogate and Birmingham).
They all have a similar feel, great bar areas, bistro style restaurants and are all in historic buildings therefore the rooms are very individual.
All have superb bathrooms with bath and big showers with the most powerful showers I have ever seen anywhere.
Very hang for the centre of Birmingham with its many restaurants and within walking distance of Broad street with its nightlife.

Room Tip: Try a superior room , they are larger. Obviously the suites a bigger still.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Dave

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your subsequent stays with us despite your first disappointing experience.

It is great to hear that you appreciate the historic charm and individuality of the hotel and our sister properties.

I hope you will continue to come and stay with us for many years to come.

Kindest regards, Tony
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotels grows on me. It is cosy (good bed, plenty of bedding etc), all the rooms I have had have baths etc. Good location for centre of Birmingham. I particularly admire the range of catering offers (champagne bar, pub bar, relaxed dining room), all of which would be credible as stand alone offers.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 186338Philip
Dear Philip

Thank you so much for your positive review.

It is fantastic to hear that you enjoy the hotel more, the more often you stay.

If there is ever anything my team or I can do to make your stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best regards, Tony and team

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have stayed in the Hotel du Vin probably over 100 times over a 5 year period. I have never been disappointed. The rooms are (usually) large and quirky. For me the location is also excellent. If I had one criticism it would be that some of the fixtures and fittings, especially in the bathrooms, are starting to look somewhat jaded.
The date below was for my most recent visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear MunichMurph

Thank you for your kind review and thank you so much for your huge volume of visits over the years.

Please ask for me next time you stay, it would be great to say hello.

Kingswinford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We spent our Wedding Anniversary at this lovely hotel last Saturday. the staff were all extremely pleasant and polite, our room was large, well appointed and very comfortable.
Our breakfast was excellent, very good quality food and a very good choice too. It was very quiet through the night no street noise at all, all in all a very enjoyable weekend break.

Room Tip: Ours was in the middle of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear 767Holidaylover

Thank you for your lovely review.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your anniversary stay with us and sincerely hope we'll see you again very soon. Thank you for taking the time to mention the great service and food.

Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived and parked directly outside the hotel, I had prepaid for a parking place but this was refunded. Very easy to find. The welcome was lovely, quick, helpful and efficient. The first impression was 'oh this is nice' felt immediately relaxed.My impression wasn't wrong. Rooms very nice, all themed. Room full of goodies, but at a price, but a nice touch nevertheless. Iron and ironing board in the cupboard. Good selection of beverages including a fridge of drinks,mwhich you paid for as you went along.Toiletries very nice, good quality. Bedding, towels etc perfect. Bed comfortable had a really nice sleep.room light a little dull, found it difficult to work, mind u I may have been missing the correct light switch.Didn't eat here, as food as lovely as it may have been a little to fancy, I'm a very plain eater. Did have breakfast however, my first choice of haddock wasn't available so I had full English, but wasn't to keen, as I had set my heart on the fish. Breakfast not until 7am which I thought was a little late, for those of us who were working, but to be fair the service was very quick.
All staff very helpful indeed, they really went that extra mile.
This hotel was a recommendation, it was truly lovely, would stay again if I worked in Birmingham centre again, thank you.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear 'E1OVO'

Thank you for your lovely review, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and in particular the service you received from my team.

Next time you stay, please do talk to us about the menu. We can adapt dishes or serve you something exactly to your taste if the dishes sound too fancy. The menu is a mix of British and Bistro classics and some of them can sound fancy as they are listed in French. I am sure we could find something to 'hit the spot'.

Best regards and thanks again, Tony