“Very comfortable”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #31 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Breakfast was really good with fresh orange juice and tasty bread.
The room we stayed was the third floor, which was quiet, had enough space for us and the bath tub was pleased for Japanese like us.
What disappointed point was poor wifi connection. However, we enjoyed our stay here for two nights.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Lira

Thank you so much for your 5 star review!! It was our pleasure to have the opportunity to look after you.

Kindest regards from Tony and the team

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here a few years ago and had a great time, so when i found myself needing a room in Birmingham again with my boyfriend, this was my number one choice, despite there are quite a few poor reviews on TA. Call 1 - called the main booking centre and explained that i stayed long time ago in their biggest suite but i can't remember the name, but i recognise the photos on TA, and the woman on the phone keeping saying i stayed a long time ago and the record is gone, and i keep saying its the one still on your website and on TA and still, she keep saying she won't know which one and so i suggest i will speak to the actual branch, so she said i can "if you really want to", and i said yes. Call 2 - to the branch and that was straight forward and the guy on the phone advise me that i can also try booking.com to get a better rate, so i did, but the suite was not available on this website. Call 3- back to main booking centre and mentioned that the branch suggest finding the room on booking.com and that was it!!!!! The woman on the call questioned me why the branch would suggest that.....well I don't know but it's not my problem, so by then I was really annoyed and I told her I was not happy that this is my third call and I'm just trying to book a nice room, and she did the classic and put the phone down on me!! Call 4 to complain about call 3, spoke to a nice gentlemen, got a room and the price and I said i will call back soon to confirm, as I want to confirm with my partner all is ok. Call 5, the gentlemen i spoke to was not available but ONLY he can make the booking, so ask for him to call back........yes, you guessed it, they never called back.

So we are now staying somewhere else with a much better TA reviews.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear blkman1

Thank you for taking the time to share your attempted booking experience.

I am so sorry you never got to stay in the hotel that gave you such wonderful memories in the past. I hope we can put that right for the future.

Please drop me a line so that I can investigate further and try to put thing right: tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com

Best regards, Tony

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our experience of this hotel started bad and got worse!

We called on our way to find out about parking options, 4 calls and 45 mins later we finally got through to a rather unhelpful member of staff.

When we arrived we requested the valet parking, there was no rush to collect our car and we narrowly avoided a ticket!

We didn't get offered a newspaper or a wake up call during check in. Nor did we get details of breakfast or dinner that we had included in our package.

When we got to our suite (which we paid a premium for) we were very disappointed... The room should have be beautiful but has been very poorly maintained. Paint peeling off the walls, mold in the bathroom, threadbare sheets and blinds that finished mid window - looks like we didn't need that wake up call after all!

The food in the restaurant (after a lot of confusion from the waiting staff of which menu we were aloud!) was at best okay. The service was terrible. At both dinner and breakfast we were kept waiting to be seated - whilst the staff seemed to fight over who was going to serve us. Shocking!

On check out we were not asked how we found our stay - I don't think the much cared.

Overall a special weekend was ruined by awful staff and a poorly maintaining hotel.

On a positive the hotel is in a great location, if some money was spent revamping the tired decor and training the rude and unhelpful staff this could be an amazing venue. Such a shame.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Lian

I am so sorry to hear of your very uncharacteristic experience.

Please get in touch so that we discuss further.

Kindest regards and sincere apologies once again, Tony

tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed at Hotel Du Vin for a few nights on a business trip and I really loved the place. It is an old (Victorian?) building in the middle of the 'business' part of Birmingham city centre.
The restaurant, bar and courtyard are the perfect representation of the English idea of France; homely, sophisticated and vaguely kitsch.
Food in the restaurant is excellent both at breakfast and dinner (French cuisine) with huge portions and friendly staff.
My room was dark (dark furniture, dark fabrics, dark floor), cozy, well appointed and with a definitely vintage atmosphere (it would be slightly tired if the place wasn't so charming).
Great choice of wines, a wine shop, room names wine related - it is definitely a Hotel Du Vin. T

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear viaben

Thank you so much for your kind review.

We are a bit kitsch I suppose aren't we!? And yes, a Victorian building, formerly the Birmingham Eye Hospital until around 35 years ago where it lay derelict until we got our hands on it in 2001.

We are constantly spending money on the hotel and improving it so some of the areas that are perhaps overly distressed are getting a refresh, without destroying the character of course.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards and thanks again, Tony

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Having stayed at Hotel du Vin in Edinburgh we were really looking forward to our stay. On arrival (5pm) our room was still not ready so we checked in our bags and went into the city centre. On returning to our room some champagne and note of apology from the manger had been left for us. However our room was terribly average - leaking window frames, paint on blinds, mouldy shower grout and just a general feeling of tiredness/ shabby-ness. We used the hotel restaurant for dinner and the 'tired' theme continued - the restaurant food was reasonable, had some nice fish. What used to feel like a special hotel chain seems very ordinary and lacking even some basic standards now. Time for a refurbishment!

Stayed: July 2014

Dear PJA

Thank you sharing your feedback.

I am so sorry to hear of your disappointment and wish we had known at the time to do something about it. A refurbishment is imminent although I do not have a start date just yet.

I am pleased you appreciated the gesture of a bottle of bubbly for your late check in and I hope we may change your lasting impression of the hotel on a return visit.

If you are planning to return to the area, please drop me an email. tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com

Best regards, Tony

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed here for the 3rd time last weekend. We were a bit disappointed with or first visit (some years ago) as there was a wedding taking place and the bar area was reserved for the wedding. I think is is a bit naughty when no mention is made of it at the time of booking.
We have stayed at 3 of the hotels in the du vin chain (Bristol, Harrogate and Birmingham).
They all have a similar feel, great bar areas, bistro style restaurants and are all in historic buildings therefore the rooms are very individual.
All have superb bathrooms with bath and big showers with the most powerful showers I have ever seen anywhere.
Very hang for the centre of Birmingham with its many restaurants and within walking distance of Broad street with its nightlife.

Room Tip: Try a superior room , they are larger. Obviously the suites a bigger still.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Dave

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your subsequent stays with us despite your first disappointing experience.

It is great to hear that you appreciate the historic charm and individuality of the hotel and our sister properties.

I hope you will continue to come and stay with us for many years to come.

Kindest regards, Tony

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotels grows on me. It is cosy (good bed, plenty of bedding etc), all the rooms I have had have baths etc. Good location for centre of Birmingham. I particularly admire the range of catering offers (champagne bar, pub bar, relaxed dining room), all of which would be credible as stand alone offers.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 186338Philip

Dear Philip

Thank you so much for your positive review.

It is fantastic to hear that you enjoy the hotel more, the more often you stay.

If there is ever anything my team or I can do to make your stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best regards, Tony and team