“Not the best HdV!”

Ranked #38 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Not the best HdV!”
Reviewed 17 February 2009

We stayed there on valentines night - we did get it cheap £99 for the night. I have stayed in other HdV's in Bristol and Brighton and they were fantastic! This one was mediocre.

The building itself was beautiful just like all the others - check in was easy and efficient.

The rooms were comfortable but very small and didn't have that "something different" that adds to the experience like other HdV's - just like any other hotel room, this we found very disappointing.

We stayed there with another couple (my partners business partner as they had meetings in Birmingham that week) and couldn't get a table unti 945pm. So we drank in the bar which was beautiful. A couple of the bar staff were a little rude but a couple of staff made up for their colleagues lack of customer service.

When we got to our table the restaurant was empty - so I think we may have been able to go through earlier and we did let them know 2 hours before that we would wait in the bar.

The valentines menu was £45 per head and the food was mediocre - one of the dishes we had to send back as it wasn't cooked properly - however the staff were friendly and reasonable.

Between 5 -530am the fire alarm went off so all residents went outside - it was chaos! No communication was given from the staff so we didnt know if we could go back in or if there was actually a fire. Myself and my partner eventually went back in to the lobby, all other residents followed and started to go back to their rooms. We asked if there was a member of staff around who could let us know whether it was safe as we were told they were still checking all other residents streamed past him and nobody was stopped!! Good job there wasnt a fire!

I would definitely stay in a HdV again but definitely not this one!!!

• Liked — Great building and enjoyed the bar environment
  • Disliked — Rooms and 5am false fire alarm
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank JLM71

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Cheltenham
Reviewed 12 February 2009

This was the fourth HduV I've experienced, and it didn't let my expectations down!

We'd got a fantastic deal of £119 including breakfast, so my husband and I decided to go away for the night as a little treat.

Our room was lovely - decent sized, very nicely decorated, and a huge bed with gorgeous Egyptian cotton sheets - a very decadent place to lounge around. There were the usual du Vin touches that we really appreciated - real caffitiere coffee and fresh milk, a good selection of mini-bar drinks that were around the same price as those in the bar, bathrobes and generous bottles of shampoo, conditioner and shower gel.

The bathrooms in Hotel du Vins are my favourite part, and this one didn't disappoint - we opened a surprisingly small door which looked like it could only lead to a room the size of a small closet, only to find a staircase leading down to a bathroom, complete with a massive bath - big enough that I could lie in the bath reading one of the many complementatry magazines and still be completley submerged - bliss! The shower was a huge monsoon showerhead and so powerful - my husband is usually very practical when it comes to showers, but even he was in there for a good ten minutes!

We'd booked dinner in the bistro, which was lovely - I had the most gorgeous lamb that fell apart when I cut into it! My husband had monkfish with a rich, spicy casoulet with chorizo. The sommelier was really helpful, and chose a beautiful (but reasonably priced) bottle of red that complimented both our meals - not an easy task! My husband decided to have cheese to end his meal, and they brought over a fabulus trolley, groaning with goodies! He was able to choose a personal selection from the fromagier's recommendations, which were again, delicious!

We both had a fantastic night's sleep - testament to both the comfortable bed and the very effective blackout curtains! We'd ordered room service breakfast which arrived promptly, and was delicious - thick, hot chocolate, freshly-squeezed orange juice, creamy natural yogurt with a berry compote, and yummy croissant and pan au chocolates - a very decadent start to the morning!

The hotel was in a nice party of the city, and it was very easy to walk to the centre and both the Bullring and The Mailbox, so great news for shoppers!

All in all, I'd say the hotel was a great example of what Hotel du Vin do best - comfortable luxury in a stylish setting/ Definitley a brand you can trust - I'll be booking my next stay at a Hotel du Vin as soon as possible!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LouiseB82
West Mids
Reviewed 2 February 2009

We stayed one night at the Hotel Du Vin on a D+B+B package. We arrived in the evening and checked in. The hotel is very dark but I feel this adds to the ambience. The rooms are not numbered but named. Can be a little difficult if your not up to date with your French pronunciation and trying to charge stuff to your room. But I just made sure I kept my key handy as it’s name was on the large key fob. The room was big and clean. We had a large king size bed which had lovely pillows and was very comfy. There was a DVD player in the room, but no remote (perhaps you may have got one if you requested?). The bathroom was split into two; A bathroom with a sink and toilet. Another, with a large old style bath, sink and walk in shower room. The shower was great and the shower gel/shampoo/conditioner was very nice in deed. Good enough to take home :) We had tea and coffee provided but no hot chocolate or complimentary biscuits, which would have gone down well. The food was superb. I had rib eye steak for my main with large chunky chips. I did ask for this medium but I would say it was more medium rare. Never the less it was still very good and was like a knife through butter. The house wine wasn’t cheap at around 20pound per bottle but it was very nice and was a perfect accompaniment to the meal. Breakfast was also lovely. There wasn’t a lot of it but it seemed to be just about right for me and freshly cooked. Good quality bacon, sausage etc Continental was also available if you felt more healthy then me! There was also a large courtyard area within the center of the hotel to relax, a little chilly on a bitterly cold evening but was nice to sit in such an open area and plenty of people were happy drinking there. I would definitely stay there again. Would have been even better if they had a pool but I think they would struggle to fit it in.

• Liked — Good size comfy room and great food
  • Disliked — No free biscuits or hot chocolate
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nathan83
Leeds
Reviewed 28 January 2009

We stayed at the Hotel du Vin for one night just after new year so we got a good deal - £125 for DBB. This is excellent considering that you are not limited to cheaper dishes on the dinner menu or anything (you only have to pay extra for your drinks).

The room was supposed to be a large double but I think this referred to the bed rather than the floor area. The shape of the room was rather awkward - so the wardrobe door didn't open fully because it hit the corner of the bed.

The hotel is in the style of the early 2000s - where everything is darkly coloured and moodily lit. This makes for a slightly dark interior to the rooms - it's a look that you'll either love or hate. The rooms are showing a bit of wear and tear concurrent with 5 years or so of use - scuffed skirting boards etc. However, I'm a total perfectionist when it comes to hotels. Shower over bath - which isn't the best - I don't like having to climb into the shower and prefer walk-ins. Monsoon shower threw water at me at an impressive rate - great for feeling refreshed but the drainage couldn't cope and the bath was a third full of water by the time I was finished. Also, the shower screen had no seal so the floor flooded somewhat.

We had dinner in the restaurant - service was very slow but we were celebrating a family birthday so we were in no rush. The food was excellent and service very friendly - if a bit incomprehensible at times (all the staff it seems are non-brits).

Breakfast was equally slow - apprently all the staff bar one had phoned in sick so the waiting staff were very rushed. I don't know if this is a common problem or if it was just bad luck for us. However, all food very nice for breakfast - and plenty of it.

We took up the valet parking option at £20 a night - I would recommend it as they whisk your car straight off - makes for a hassle free and special start to a stay.

Overall a solid hotel, service needs a bit of tweaking but this may just have been our bad luck.

• Liked — White, soft beds, excellent value at £125 DBB, Valet parking
  • Disliked — Service very slow in restaurant
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 January 2009

Check In very efficient, though 'Bistro full, your only choice is room service is that ok?' was the reply when I asked for a table for one for dinner.

Room nice, clean and good bathroom though bath drainage can't cope with over bath monsoon shower.

Can't get breakfast until 0700hrs which isn't good if you have to be on the road at 0630.

Dinner room service - nice food - spoilt by bringing it all together (starter and main) with no way of keeping the second course warm.

Having said all that if I'd booked dinner and wasn't leaving at the crack of dawn it would have been a better experience.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — No table availability for residents in Bistro
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2008

I'd never stayed at a Hotel du Vin before, but at the sister hotel Malmaison many times, so I felt quite excited booking the spa package with them for a little pre-Christmas treat for my partner and myself.
The deal on the web was really good. 1 nights stay, Full English breakfast, 2 course dinner (inc coffee ex wines), 1 night’s valet parking, choice of 2 treatments from a really good list (we had the Salt & Oil Body Scrub & Half Body Massage and the body hydrator wrap - really good, a little ESPA gift and morning newspaper, all these for £329.
We arrived quited excited. The area is quiet, posh but very close to the city centre. We had to leave the car at a pay and display space for the hotel to take it to the valet parking, which they did - only about an hour late (Thank God we didn't get a ticket).
The hotel reception was OK (I am saying Ok, as they were not quick, helpful or did anything over and above for us).
The room was very nice - high ceiling, medium size. Bathroom was nice too.
Dinner at the hotel was not good. My main course took about 3/4 of an hour to arrive and it was cold and blant.
Bed was nice, quite comfy. No newspaper in the morning (don't know what happened there).
We decided before breakfast to work out a bit. The hotel gym is one of the best I've ever seen in a hotel. Great equipment, big. Very nice.
Then we headed to the bistrot for the breakfast. It took them an hour from when we ordered to when the breakfast arrived - we also asked for extra toast, which never arrived (and we definitely saw other guests having arrived later being served before us). Bear in mind that both evening and morning, the bistrot was not busy at all.
Then we headed to our treatments, which were glorious and we felt really pampered. We didn't use the sauna or the steam room, so I can't comment - they looked OK.
Overall, the hotel was ok (although the reception when we complained said that they would pass the comments to the bistrot - which I've heard may times before - and they didn't act there and then), but the bistrot has some serious problems.

• Liked — Gym and spa
  • Disliked — Bistrot
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kyrikos
UK
Reviewed 20 December 2008

We booked a last minute deal at Hotel Du Vin Birmingham and it was one of the very best short breaks we have experienced. We shopped all day, then enjoyed some time in the relaxation 'spa', with dinner and drinks later. A fab, huge bed and everything was spotless...unlike our bathroom when we stayed at Fishmore Hall in Ludlow (dont bother going there!!) We would mark this hotel 10 out of 10 in every aspect. Cant wait to go back, and also to try their other hotels. Gorgeous!

• Liked — clean and huge!
  • Disliked — going home
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business