“Rooms Faultless Bistro Poor”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #32 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Rooms Faultless Bistro Poor”
Reviewed 14 April 2009

Stopped here as part of a deal where you needed to spend £75 in the restaraunt to be given the room for a tenner we upgraded and paid twenty for a lovely room Lenoble with massive bath and shower.
The downfall came when we sat down for the meal out of maybe six main courses I think four were fish which I consider to be unusual with one of the others being veggie.My wife and I both ordered the rib eye steak which resulted in the return of mine due to fact that half of it was fat .I ordered a sea bass which was dropped onto my table by a now surly waitress.The remaining course was a chesse platter which was again below par .
Lovely surroundings lovely rooms just a bit let down by the food .Hopefullythis was a one off as we hope to return one day.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sirjona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Hagley
Reviewed 14 April 2009

Having raved to my husband about hotel du vin cheltenham's food and spa my husband and I booked a pre xmas romantic stay without the kids with our expectations high.

We had a suite and were so looking forward to our evening meal after a day of xmas shopping we were starving. What a let down!!!! I ordered steak which was stringy and tough and not cooked how I like it. Then the waiter had the cheek to say what do you expect its not fillet!! He got our pudding orders mixed up too. Basically the only thing we managed to eat simultaneously was the starter.

I complained to the manager as the waiter was so rude but it was just embarrassing as he made him come over and apologise and we didn't want to stick around for our 'free coffees which weren't even free as they were included in our stay package!!!

The rest of the staff were friendly but the room was a bit sterile and lacked imaginination - it was minimal to the point of lacking any sense of romance or comfort to be honest or maybe I was just in a foul mood by then due to the dinner debacle!

• Stayed April 2009
2 Thank FMEv
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2009

I am a great fan of the Du Vin brand and will whenever possible stay in them.
Attending Birmingham for a conference I assumed that is why I had to pay a room only rate of £175 per night, even over a weekend. Supply and demand I guess.
To be honest this proved to be my least favourite Du Vin hotel and took minimalism to next heights (or should that be lows). The room was huge but there was only one chair – a second one would have been sensible – a sofa even better for a hotel of this quality. The décor was dull and uninspiring and the bathroom to be honest looked like an abattoir. So large and cold and a shower tray made of stainless steel never helps.
Now a slightly distasteful, but pratical problem. It is a fact that when men use a toilet, the simple action creates a fine mist. It is a simple fact when water fall from a height.
Why or why then put the towel rail and the nice fresh towels down the side of the loo – they will, if there is a man in the party, get covered in a fine mist of urine (I said it was distasteful). So a tip would be relocate the towel rail or move the towels if you find a towel rail here.
No shower cap, no bottle of water either and cobwebs around the room when we arrived. To be fair these were removed within 15 minutes of mentioning it.
Clearly like all businesses Du Vin is feeling the pinch by the number of offers they have at the moment.
I hope this doesn’t lead to a fall in standards, it would be great shame.
Didn’t eat here as they could not offer me a table in the restaurant but Birmingham is full of good places to eat. Try the Blue Mango if you like Indian – stunning.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank XRXM
Rutland
Reviewed 4 April 2009

First impressions as we walked in was that it was very dark inside, but eventually I came to like this as it seemed to add to the ambiance of the place.

Check in was simple and easy, reception staff very friendly. We were given the room 'Wolf Blass' - one of the best rooms according to the receptionist.

Wold Blass was on the 3rd floor overlooking the street. It had a small lounge area with dressing table, desk, television sofa and chairs which opened on to the huge bedroom.

The bedroom had a vast bed for us and a small 'camp' bed for our son, another television, large wardrobe containing the mini bar, coffee maker and a whole host of over priced snacks.

The bathroom was off the bedroom and once again was very large with an impressive shower and lovely freestanding bath.

Both beds were very comfortable and duvet, pillows and bed linen were especially nice.

The ceilings were very high and we had 3 very tall windows facing the street so we did get some noise at night.

Dinner - We had dinner at the hotels restaurant, the menu not being aimed at all at children we requested something not on the menu (pasta with tomato based sauce) after a few checks from the waitress and restaurant's manager we were given the OK.

There is a huge wine list available (no surprise there really) and a very helpful sommelier who brought some nice wine for us and chatted and played with our son.

Our food was all very nice, our sons pasta came and it too was very good, with a freshly prepared sauce, considering children eat free there, we were very pleased with this.

We chose to have deserts in our room which room service would deliver, 10 minutes later they called to say one choice had run out - not a problem, at least they called to let us know. The food arrived, minus 2 deserts (not the expected one) which was dissapointing (but not the end of the world).

All the staff were very friendly and we seemed to get very efficient service.

Breakfast - let down by the service, which may have just been a one off.

We had continental breakfast and had to request more bowels for cereal, more orange juice and milk as all had run out. All took 10 minutes + to arrive/be replenished. Our coffee and toast orders were taken promptly but then a long wait ensued for them to arrive. I perhaps would understand if they were busy, but they were very quiet.

Having said that, the food quality was very good.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Marcus1234
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 22 March 2009

I stayed in the Du Vin for 1 night during the week on business. The location is close to Snow Hill but a 10 minute walk to Broad Street or New Street station.

My room was large with a high ceiling (perhaps a bit too big as it did not have that cosy feel) and was complete with free standing bath and a huge shower. I have to admit, the shower was brilliant but the bathroom felt a bit cold and I wouldn't want to spend too long in the bath there. The TV timed out every 5 minutes as the sky box (not under my control) switched to standby mode. The became very annoying after a while!

I went down to the Bistro for dinner only to find it was fully booked so had to order room service. The menu had to be brought to my room minus a wine list. I then had to go back down to the bistro and stand around to get a glass of wine. When the food came, it couldn't be faulted but was spoilt by having to eat it at the desk in my room.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel for a group of people or a couple dining at the bistro, but for lone business travellers, try the Malmaison or the Hyatt.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank LdnBusinessTraveller
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2009

We stayed there on valentines night - we did get it cheap £99 for the night. I have stayed in other HdV's in Bristol and Brighton and they were fantastic! This one was mediocre.

The building itself was beautiful just like all the others - check in was easy and efficient.

The rooms were comfortable but very small and didn't have that "something different" that adds to the experience like other HdV's - just like any other hotel room, this we found very disappointing.

We stayed there with another couple (my partners business partner as they had meetings in Birmingham that week) and couldn't get a table unti 945pm. So we drank in the bar which was beautiful. A couple of the bar staff were a little rude but a couple of staff made up for their colleagues lack of customer service.

When we got to our table the restaurant was empty - so I think we may have been able to go through earlier and we did let them know 2 hours before that we would wait in the bar.

The valentines menu was £45 per head and the food was mediocre - one of the dishes we had to send back as it wasn't cooked properly - however the staff were friendly and reasonable.

Between 5 -530am the fire alarm went off so all residents went outside - it was chaos! No communication was given from the staff so we didnt know if we could go back in or if there was actually a fire. Myself and my partner eventually went back in to the lobby, all other residents followed and started to go back to their rooms. We asked if there was a member of staff around who could let us know whether it was safe as we were told they were still checking all other residents streamed past him and nobody was stopped!! Good job there wasnt a fire!

I would definitely stay in a HdV again but definitely not this one!!!

• Liked — Great building and enjoyed the bar environment
  • Disliked — Rooms and 5am false fire alarm
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank JLM71
Cheltenham
Reviewed 12 February 2009

This was the fourth HduV I've experienced, and it didn't let my expectations down!

We'd got a fantastic deal of £119 including breakfast, so my husband and I decided to go away for the night as a little treat.

Our room was lovely - decent sized, very nicely decorated, and a huge bed with gorgeous Egyptian cotton sheets - a very decadent place to lounge around. There were the usual du Vin touches that we really appreciated - real caffitiere coffee and fresh milk, a good selection of mini-bar drinks that were around the same price as those in the bar, bathrobes and generous bottles of shampoo, conditioner and shower gel.

The bathrooms in Hotel du Vins are my favourite part, and this one didn't disappoint - we opened a surprisingly small door which looked like it could only lead to a room the size of a small closet, only to find a staircase leading down to a bathroom, complete with a massive bath - big enough that I could lie in the bath reading one of the many complementatry magazines and still be completley submerged - bliss! The shower was a huge monsoon showerhead and so powerful - my husband is usually very practical when it comes to showers, but even he was in there for a good ten minutes!

We'd booked dinner in the bistro, which was lovely - I had the most gorgeous lamb that fell apart when I cut into it! My husband had monkfish with a rich, spicy casoulet with chorizo. The sommelier was really helpful, and chose a beautiful (but reasonably priced) bottle of red that complimented both our meals - not an easy task! My husband decided to have cheese to end his meal, and they brought over a fabulus trolley, groaning with goodies! He was able to choose a personal selection from the fromagier's recommendations, which were again, delicious!

We both had a fantastic night's sleep - testament to both the comfortable bed and the very effective blackout curtains! We'd ordered room service breakfast which arrived promptly, and was delicious - thick, hot chocolate, freshly-squeezed orange juice, creamy natural yogurt with a berry compote, and yummy croissant and pan au chocolates - a very decadent start to the morning!

The hotel was in a nice party of the city, and it was very easy to walk to the centre and both the Bullring and The Mailbox, so great news for shoppers!

All in all, I'd say the hotel was a great example of what Hotel du Vin do best - comfortable luxury in a stylish setting/ Definitley a brand you can trust - I'll be booking my next stay at a Hotel du Vin as soon as possible!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple