“a lively bistro and bar - but a gloomy hotel”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #38 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
London
“a lively bistro and bar - but a gloomy hotel”
Reviewed 18 April 2009

My arrival was quite late, and I got the impression the place operated more as a bar/bistro than a hotel when no-one was at the reception, and someone appeared more by surprise on seeing me. The reception area is poorly arranged, but the reception staff when they popped up, were always pleasant and helpful. My room was cramped. It had a vast bed which could have been fun if I'd been here on a romantic adventure, but a vast bed shoe-horned into a cramped room didn't make for a comfortable overnight stay. The plumbing was a problem, with warm water coming out of the cold tap and the next morning the shower mixer taps didn't work. I guess it's always better to arrive early enough to change rooms if needed. Being on my own, I chose not to use the public areas having found the general areas of the hotel stark, dark and gloomy - with a lift (when you found it) reminiscent of a travelling coffin. Calling my room after an expensive champagne didn't make me feel better when the room rate was so high, so I was relieved to leave the following morning - despite having had a good breakfast (and well served) in the creaky-floored dining room with overhead fans that reminded me (with a pleasant nostalgia) of India. Well placed for the centre of town, but with an overinflated opinion of itself.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
London
Reviewed 15 April 2009

When I arrived I was pleased to find it was very attractive inside and the rooms were modern and stylish with interesting decor details - a nice room with its own look/style. However, after working all day I wanted room service but found that the food was all quite expensive - not much uner £10, restaurant prices really. Also it is a bit hidden down a side street - taxi driver couldn't find that easily and about a 10 minute walk to Birmingham New Street.

1 Thank Westlondongirl76
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2009

Stopped here as part of a deal where you needed to spend £75 in the restaraunt to be given the room for a tenner we upgraded and paid twenty for a lovely room Lenoble with massive bath and shower.
The downfall came when we sat down for the meal out of maybe six main courses I think four were fish which I consider to be unusual with one of the others being veggie.My wife and I both ordered the rib eye steak which resulted in the return of mine due to fact that half of it was fat .I ordered a sea bass which was dropped onto my table by a now surly waitress.The remaining course was a chesse platter which was again below par .
Lovely surroundings lovely rooms just a bit let down by the food .Hopefullythis was a one off as we hope to return one day.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sirjona
Hagley
Reviewed 14 April 2009

Having raved to my husband about hotel du vin cheltenham's food and spa my husband and I booked a pre xmas romantic stay without the kids with our expectations high.

We had a suite and were so looking forward to our evening meal after a day of xmas shopping we were starving. What a let down!!!! I ordered steak which was stringy and tough and not cooked how I like it. Then the waiter had the cheek to say what do you expect its not fillet!! He got our pudding orders mixed up too. Basically the only thing we managed to eat simultaneously was the starter.

I complained to the manager as the waiter was so rude but it was just embarrassing as he made him come over and apologise and we didn't want to stick around for our 'free coffees which weren't even free as they were included in our stay package!!!

The rest of the staff were friendly but the room was a bit sterile and lacked imaginination - it was minimal to the point of lacking any sense of romance or comfort to be honest or maybe I was just in a foul mood by then due to the dinner debacle!

• Stayed April 2009
2 Thank FMEv
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2009

I am a great fan of the Du Vin brand and will whenever possible stay in them.
Attending Birmingham for a conference I assumed that is why I had to pay a room only rate of £175 per night, even over a weekend. Supply and demand I guess.
To be honest this proved to be my least favourite Du Vin hotel and took minimalism to next heights (or should that be lows). The room was huge but there was only one chair – a second one would have been sensible – a sofa even better for a hotel of this quality. The décor was dull and uninspiring and the bathroom to be honest looked like an abattoir. So large and cold and a shower tray made of stainless steel never helps.
Now a slightly distasteful, but pratical problem. It is a fact that when men use a toilet, the simple action creates a fine mist. It is a simple fact when water fall from a height.
Why or why then put the towel rail and the nice fresh towels down the side of the loo – they will, if there is a man in the party, get covered in a fine mist of urine (I said it was distasteful). So a tip would be relocate the towel rail or move the towels if you find a towel rail here.
No shower cap, no bottle of water either and cobwebs around the room when we arrived. To be fair these were removed within 15 minutes of mentioning it.
Clearly like all businesses Du Vin is feeling the pinch by the number of offers they have at the moment.
I hope this doesn’t lead to a fall in standards, it would be great shame.
Didn’t eat here as they could not offer me a table in the restaurant but Birmingham is full of good places to eat. Try the Blue Mango if you like Indian – stunning.

2 Thank XRXM
Rutland
Reviewed 4 April 2009

First impressions as we walked in was that it was very dark inside, but eventually I came to like this as it seemed to add to the ambiance of the place.

Check in was simple and easy, reception staff very friendly. We were given the room 'Wolf Blass' - one of the best rooms according to the receptionist.

Wold Blass was on the 3rd floor overlooking the street. It had a small lounge area with dressing table, desk, television sofa and chairs which opened on to the huge bedroom.

The bedroom had a vast bed for us and a small 'camp' bed for our son, another television, large wardrobe containing the mini bar, coffee maker and a whole host of over priced snacks.

The bathroom was off the bedroom and once again was very large with an impressive shower and lovely freestanding bath.

Both beds were very comfortable and duvet, pillows and bed linen were especially nice.

The ceilings were very high and we had 3 very tall windows facing the street so we did get some noise at night.

Dinner - We had dinner at the hotels restaurant, the menu not being aimed at all at children we requested something not on the menu (pasta with tomato based sauce) after a few checks from the waitress and restaurant's manager we were given the OK.

There is a huge wine list available (no surprise there really) and a very helpful sommelier who brought some nice wine for us and chatted and played with our son.

Our food was all very nice, our sons pasta came and it too was very good, with a freshly prepared sauce, considering children eat free there, we were very pleased with this.

We chose to have deserts in our room which room service would deliver, 10 minutes later they called to say one choice had run out - not a problem, at least they called to let us know. The food arrived, minus 2 deserts (not the expected one) which was dissapointing (but not the end of the world).

All the staff were very friendly and we seemed to get very efficient service.

Breakfast - let down by the service, which may have just been a one off.

We had continental breakfast and had to request more bowels for cereal, more orange juice and milk as all had run out. All took 10 minutes + to arrive/be replenished. Our coffee and toast orders were taken promptly but then a long wait ensued for them to arrive. I perhaps would understand if they were busy, but they were very quiet.

Having said that, the food quality was very good.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Marcus1234
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 22 March 2009

I stayed in the Du Vin for 1 night during the week on business. The location is close to Snow Hill but a 10 minute walk to Broad Street or New Street station.

My room was large with a high ceiling (perhaps a bit too big as it did not have that cosy feel) and was complete with free standing bath and a huge shower. I have to admit, the shower was brilliant but the bathroom felt a bit cold and I wouldn't want to spend too long in the bath there. The TV timed out every 5 minutes as the sky box (not under my control) switched to standby mode. The became very annoying after a while!

I went down to the Bistro for dinner only to find it was fully booked so had to order room service. The menu had to be brought to my room minus a wine list. I then had to go back down to the bistro and stand around to get a glass of wine. When the food came, it couldn't be faulted but was spoilt by having to eat it at the desk in my room.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel for a group of people or a couple dining at the bistro, but for lone business travellers, try the Malmaison or the Hyatt.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business