“Worth a visit”

Ranked #37 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
West Midlands
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed 7 September 2009

I have stayed here on a couple of occasions, most recently NYEve 2008. The hotel was formerly a hospital and the building has retained its character following renovation. Both times I have stayed in a King Deluxe room overlooking the front of the hotel (I have benefited from an on-line offer which is good value for money). This room had massive proportions, all modern amenities you would expect, ie mini-bar, safe etc and a huge bathroom with both a walk-in shower and a roll-top bath. Check-in/out was a smooth and swift process and the hotel staff generally were pleasant and helpful.

The only slight negative I experienced was breakfast service which was very slow in taking our order (although the food arrived swiftly once it was taken) and we had to ask several times for the basics, ie coffee, toast, butter. This was not the case, however, on my previous stay at the hotel so perhaps it was just a blip.

I have dined in the restaurant on a couple of occasions and enjoyed both the food and the service (particularly the wine recommendations/tastings!) If staying elsewhere in Birmingham the hotel bars (there are 2; 1 below ground, the other on the ground floor) are still worth a visit. They stock a wide range of wine and cocktails and have nice comfy sofas for after shopping or on an evening out.

As to location, the hotel is close to the shops (a few minutes to the newish Bullring/Selfridges development) and approx 15 min walk to the Broad Street area (renowned for its many bars and restaurants) but there are a number of decent places in the surrounding streets (try Opus restaurant www.opusrestaurant.co.uk )

Definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Bristol
Reviewed 31 August 2009

My partner and I stayed in Villa Maria room on our wedding night and following evening. I can honestly say this was the tattiest hotel room I have ever stayed at in the UK. There was considerable peeling paint to walls and ceiling throughout and numerous cracked tiles. The TV was tiny given the room size (about 20"). The pillows and duvet were feather down - to which we are both allergic. We told the guy on the desk the next morning and he did offer for us to change rooms, however we explained that as we'd just got married we had a lot of stuff and did really want this hassle and was there anything else he could do? He said he'd pass it onto the manager, however on check out the following day no apology or discount was given. I have tried emailing the hotel to complain only to find that other than a phone number and address for each HDV there are no head office contact details on their website. All in all extremely disappointing and certainly not somewhere I'd recommend for that 'special night'.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sam_Ums
Stockton
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times, each paying the same amount, £79. On the last time I booked I was told the room would be a small one for £79, I told them that I had stayed twice before and the room was a standard type room and was told I would get a standard room. When I checked in and finally arrived at my room it was tiny. I telephoned and complained, I was told that's what you get for £79!

The hotel had a problem with TV system so there was no channel 5 on the televisions.
I don't know why it is called a boutique hotel. I think it's because it is dark, pompous, drab and uninviting.

If you do stay here don't ask for beans with your breakfast, I guess they are not in keeping with the hotels sophisticated image.

I stay in Birmingham most weeks, the Crowne Plaza or City Inn are much better.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
London, England
Reviewed 15 August 2009

My Company recently booked my into the Hotel Du Vin Birmingham for one night. The hotel looks great and we received an attentive and pleasant service from the front desk.
The rooms have names rather than numbers and mine was Laphroaig, beautiful room with high ceilings. If I was staying for pleasure it would have been great, unfortunately I was on business so I found the rather small and old desk not particularly comfortable to work at. The bed was huge and took up most of the room. I found the bed very comfortable and quite firm, but my colleague found his to be too soft. The best part of the room was the amazing shower, I would return simply for that!

Room service was based on the menu served in the bistro that night, while the food was perfectly edible and presented well it was quite bland. The breakfast, however, made up for this, with a great selection of continental and cooked foods.

The other downside was the so-called valet parking for £20 or £20 to leave your car outside the front of the hotel, I would have least expected the car to have been moved with a modicum of security.

Recommended for pleasure visitors and business if you have no work to do and no car!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Notts
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Went for the day with 5 girlfriends. We had Lunch in the bistro and fabulous beauty treaments in the spa! Taking advantage of the special dining offer, meal with wine or Pimms between 2 for £29! Great Idea.
We were all really chilled out drinking Pimms in the very comfortable sofas in the Bar. Great way to spend a leisurely Saturday, we all said "We must do this again."

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 9 August 2009

To celebrate a birthday we stayed at the Hotel Du vin as it was close to the restaurant we wished to dine at and wanted to stay at first class hotel.

We were so disappointed with the hotel. The first bedroom that we went to we rejected as the bed was broken.

The second bedroom had a servicable bed but the decor is so dull. The furniture looks like it has been bought at a car boot sale, a cracked toilet seat/basin and wash basin adds to the general impression of a place that needs some care and attention.

It was not a room to relax in and enjoy. At the price it was a let down. When I go to the restaurant again it will be cheaper to go to another hotel and take a taxi.

I would not recommend this hotel at their prices and quality.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 30 July 2009

Stayed at HDV to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Booked an offer; spend £75 in bistro and an upgraded room is £20 for the first night and second night - £95 - room, breakfast and two course meal.

Arrived in Birmingham at 10.00am and rather cheekily asked if a room was available - despite many people checking out, the receptionist phoned housekeeping and found us a room! Wewere given Tatinger - a room with an upstairs bathroom! A lovely novel room - plenty big enough for two! Lovely bath and rain shower!

We were getting ready for our meal when we noticed the ceiling was leaking - due to the excessive rainfall again!!!! Reception arranged for us to be moved within 5 minutes and we were upgraded to a even larger room - bathroom on the same level though!! You could not fault the service of reception at all.

We ate in the bistro and the prices meant it was easy to spend £75 - nice food but not the best I have eaten at all. The staff were not overly friendly on either night - the sommelier was the only exception. Wine well overpriced and choice was good.

Breakfast was very civilised - £13.50 for the usual contintental offerings plus your choice of full english; eggs benedict or porridge. I asked for porridge and Eggs benedict to be told it was one or the other. The porridge was the same cost as a full english breakfast - is this the most expensive porridge in Birmingham? I had the eggs benedict with bacon which were delicious and I can highly recommend them.

On the second night we ate as part of a Summer Offer and it has to be noted that you can only select from part of the menu - if we had known we'd have had steak on the first night. The wine was only a carafe and it was decanted into their own bottles - a little second rate! You pay for two courses but I had pork which came with no vegetables and so you have to pay £3 extra for carrots and another £3 for potatoes. Why do restaurants do this and not include potatoes or vegetables as part of the main meal??

The room had not been made up by mid afternoon and once again reception sorted it instantly. Once again fantastic service.

In summary - an excellent location and lovely rooms. The offers certainly made it good value for money - but I would not choose to eat in the bistro again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple