“Not the best HDV experience”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #30 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Stayed at the Brum HDV for one night, taking advantage of a deluxe room for £20 as long as we spent £75 in the Bistro. I'm an avid fan of HDV and have stayed in most of their other hotels so was intrigued to visit their Birmingham hotel. The overall experience was dissapointing compared to other HDVs I've visited but still significantly better than most hotels, and cracking value at the rate we paid. The good stuff first- friendly efficient service, interesting building, spacious room with great beds, eygptian cotton linen and fantastic monsoon shower and roll top bath. The problems mainly concerned lack of attention to detail. Our room (renault) didn't have a safe. There was no pen in the room (small thing I know!). No comment card. No little table by the bathtub for your G&T. All of which have been provided in every other HDV I've stayed in. The room was oddly laid out- fantastically large room, with lots of space for furniture but despite this the TV was on a tiny wooden table and there was no sofa. Two other issues- the first a big one- there was no cold water- both taps ran hot! When we reported this to reception she said it would have been fine to use the mineral water from the minibar for free and that previous guests had mentioned this issue too! Dinner was good other than both dishes I ordered being out, and having to order alternatives. Weirdly no cheese board available- instead they were offering a plate of cheese, which was a bit of a let down given every HDV I've stayed in has always had a well stocked cheese board (as any decent french bistro should have). Something was seriously wrong with the cheesecake we ordered to share for desert so sent that back- first time I have ever had to send something back at HDV. Breakie fine. All in all, cracking value at the rate we got but if I had paid anything close to rack rate I would have been disappointed. Maybe our experience was a one off. If not, I hope the management read this and pay a bit more attention to detail- all the glitches I experienced would cost next to nothing to fix and would bring the Brum hotel up to standard.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jay78uk

Reviewed 7 September 2009

I have stayed here on a couple of occasions, most recently NYEve 2008. The hotel was formerly a hospital and the building has retained its character following renovation. Both times I have stayed in a King Deluxe room overlooking the front of the hotel (I have benefited from an on-line offer which is good value for money). This room had massive proportions, all modern amenities you would expect, ie mini-bar, safe etc and a huge bathroom with both a walk-in shower and a roll-top bath. Check-in/out was a smooth and swift process and the hotel staff generally were pleasant and helpful.

The only slight negative I experienced was breakfast service which was very slow in taking our order (although the food arrived swiftly once it was taken) and we had to ask several times for the basics, ie coffee, toast, butter. This was not the case, however, on my previous stay at the hotel so perhaps it was just a blip.

I have dined in the restaurant on a couple of occasions and enjoyed both the food and the service (particularly the wine recommendations/tastings!) If staying elsewhere in Birmingham the hotel bars (there are 2; 1 below ground, the other on the ground floor) are still worth a visit. They stock a wide range of wine and cocktails and have nice comfy sofas for after shopping or on an evening out.

As to location, the hotel is close to the shops (a few minutes to the newish Bullring/Selfridges development) and approx 15 min walk to the Broad Street area (renowned for its many bars and restaurants) but there are a number of decent places in the surrounding streets (try Opus restaurant www.opusrestaurant.co.uk )

Definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2009

My partner and I stayed in Villa Maria room on our wedding night and following evening. I can honestly say this was the tattiest hotel room I have ever stayed at in the UK. There was considerable peeling paint to walls and ceiling throughout and numerous cracked tiles. The TV was tiny given the room size (about 20"). The pillows and duvet were feather down - to which we are both allergic. We told the guy on the desk the next morning and he did offer for us to change rooms, however we explained that as we'd just got married we had a lot of stuff and did really want this hassle and was there anything else he could do? He said he'd pass it onto the manager, however on check out the following day no apology or discount was given. I have tried emailing the hotel to complain only to find that other than a phone number and address for each HDV there are no head office contact details on their website. All in all extremely disappointing and certainly not somewhere I'd recommend for that 'special night'.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sam_Ums
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times, each paying the same amount, £79. On the last time I booked I was told the room would be a small one for £79, I told them that I had stayed twice before and the room was a standard type room and was told I would get a standard room. When I checked in and finally arrived at my room it was tiny. I telephoned and complained, I was told that's what you get for £79!

The hotel had a problem with TV system so there was no channel 5 on the televisions.
I don't know why it is called a boutique hotel. I think it's because it is dark, pompous, drab and uninviting.

If you do stay here don't ask for beans with your breakfast, I guess they are not in keeping with the hotels sophisticated image.

I stay in Birmingham most weeks, the Crowne Plaza or City Inn are much better.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2009

My Company recently booked my into the Hotel Du Vin Birmingham for one night. The hotel looks great and we received an attentive and pleasant service from the front desk.
The rooms have names rather than numbers and mine was Laphroaig, beautiful room with high ceilings. If I was staying for pleasure it would have been great, unfortunately I was on business so I found the rather small and old desk not particularly comfortable to work at. The bed was huge and took up most of the room. I found the bed very comfortable and quite firm, but my colleague found his to be too soft. The best part of the room was the amazing shower, I would return simply for that!

Room service was based on the menu served in the bistro that night, while the food was perfectly edible and presented well it was quite bland. The breakfast, however, made up for this, with a great selection of continental and cooked foods.

The other downside was the so-called valet parking for £20 or £20 to leave your car outside the front of the hotel, I would have least expected the car to have been moved with a modicum of security.

Recommended for pleasure visitors and business if you have no work to do and no car!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Went for the day with 5 girlfriends. We had Lunch in the bistro and fabulous beauty treaments in the spa! Taking advantage of the special dining offer, meal with wine or Pimms between 2 for £29! Great Idea.
We were all really chilled out drinking Pimms in the very comfortable sofas in the Bar. Great way to spend a leisurely Saturday, we all said "We must do this again."

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2009

To celebrate a birthday we stayed at the Hotel Du vin as it was close to the restaurant we wished to dine at and wanted to stay at first class hotel.

We were so disappointed with the hotel. The first bedroom that we went to we rejected as the bed was broken.

The second bedroom had a servicable bed but the decor is so dull. The furniture looks like it has been bought at a car boot sale, a cracked toilet seat/basin and wash basin adds to the general impression of a place that needs some care and attention.

It was not a room to relax in and enjoy. At the price it was a let down. When I go to the restaurant again it will be cheaper to go to another hotel and take a taxi.

I would not recommend this hotel at their prices and quality.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple