“Do not use!”

Paragon Hotel
Ranked #112 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
“Do not use!”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

A total pit of a holtel that has had its day. Room cramped and dirty. Shower room disgusting and loo broken. Reported it three times and never got fixed. Located in grotty part of Birmingham. I would never use again.

Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Dave H
Susan C, Manager at Paragon Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I'm very sorry your stay wasn't what you expected, your feedback has been relayed to the appropriate departments in order for our team to address the problems you encountered as a priority.

The hotel is in the process of having a refrubishment on the bedrooms but unfortunatley this will take time and we are reflecting out standard of bedroom in the current prices we charge.

kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a few times, it's convenient, with friendly and helpful staff.
The rooms aren't modern or spacious but you're in a city and looking for a place to sleep after a day out. The Paragon does that very well.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank francesm624
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I recently attended a conference at this hotel and had to use the 'disabled entrance'.
It was appalling. The so called ramps were metal and not of the correct gradient, with no handrails. The passageway, at the side of the hotel was dreadful, the surface uneven, potholed with 'wheelie bins' along one side. When you got to the door which wasn't clearly visible, a bell had to be rung which if I was in a wheelchair couldn’t be easily reached. The door width was small and again a poor ramp. Fortunately I had some colleagues with me who were able to help me navigate this excuse for a disabled entrance!
I would advise anyone who is disabled to stay away from this place and tell anyone who is considering booking a conference etc to check this out.
In no way does this hotel comply with recent Disability regulation regarding access.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

paragon hotel is very good hotel lovlye building
serevice is fantastic
i stayed 2 nights
price very good you can not compare it with london
clean the is a reasonable size
really i enjoyed it free car park

Room Tip: it is very good for the price
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank majeed h
Susan C, General Manager at Paragon Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Thank you Majeed for your kind and possitive comments, it is really nice to hear good feedback, we look forward to seeing you again in the future,

Ahmad Albajally
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stayed here this week for one night on business. I was actually really worried because of the negative reviews but I have to say it was fine. The building is architectually stunning but 'faded grandeur' is probably the best description. There are some nice touches though, like the fresh orchids in the hallways. My room was spacious, shower was hot, bed was comfortable and the flat screen TV had good reception. It was rather dingy in the room because the lighting was poor (lamp not working) and I was worried that the noise from the street would keep me awake, but I slept soundly. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. I ate in the bar from the restaurant menu and the food was well presented and of a good standard. Breakfast was also of a good standard and the coffee (bean to cup) was much better coffee than I have had in hotels with much higher ratings. I cannot speak for all the rooms and for all the staff, but my experience was quite positive overall. It is a budget hotel that physically has seen better days, but I think it offers value for money and has more character than a lot of hotels in that category. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ignore rating for fitness centre and swimming pool as the hotel does not have these facilities but c...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Ruth T
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I stayed here for one night before a business meeting in late August.
First impressions were the reception staff were attentive and smart - helped me with parking.

This was the only good impression that was formed. The hotel smelt of stale cigarettes with absolutely disgusting dirty rooms, broken showers hanging off the wall, showers that had clearly not been cleaned with grimy - not just dirty shower curtains. The towels smelt of curry and cigarettes and when in went to recpetion there were queues out the door!
The photos do not represent the hotel - i stayed in room 305 - its an absolute hell hole.
Broken chair, dirty cups, hair dryer stand has not been cleaned since a hoover has been invented! I have contacted the hotel as I have photos to evidence my complaint and have asked for a complaint number/email/address twice with no feedback whatsoever.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank HelenSM78
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My daughter held her wedding reception here in August 2013. MY husband booked a premier! Double room with all you can eat Breakfast the next morning. And free over night parking. Sadly we had to complain about the state of our reduced rate room (ruduced from £89.00 to £69.00 with wedding package).THe check in staff were pleasent + handled the check in quickly so we could join the wedding party. We went to throw our bag into the room + boy oh boy it was so small u couldn't swing a proverbial cat in it. There was plaster coming off the wall behind the bed. The pictures on the web site shows you a modern spacious room with new furniture + low lights. In fact the old tv unit had been painted in dark brown gloss paint and a flat screen tv was mounted on the wall over it. The old fashioned net curtains were dusty + the shower dripped. I complaines a few hours after check-in as we hadn't time to complain because we would have missed the speaches + toast. Thankfully I complained to the manager who went + checked the room + agreed with us. To his credit He gave us a full refund without argument.

• Stayed August 2013