“Friendly, helpful staff”

Ranked #112 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
kent
“Friendly, helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Having stayed here last year I was looking forward to this stay. I was a little disappointed at first. The room I was given had mould in the shower and springs sticking up in the mattress. I did call reception and a wonderfully helpful man changed my room with no fuss and gave me a voucher for a complimentary breakfast. He did explain that they were in the process of updating rooms, additionally they were very busy with a wedding there. This has not put me off the hotel and I will stay there again. Very interesting Victorian architecture and features

Room Tip: If you find any problems with the rooms, please call reception
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Susan C, Manager at Paragon Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Thank you for your positive review, we are in the process of refurbing the hotel but unfortunately this will take a little time to complete. We have a great team workig at the Paragon and it is always nice to hear compliments.

We look forward to welcoming you back and to obtain the best rate for your next stay please contact myself directly.

Kind regards

Susan Casson
Revenue Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

I arrived at around 10.30pm to a frosty welcome from reception. The hotel seemed pretty empty, do not let the grand photos on websites fool you, this hotel is dated, cold and shabby. When entering my room I had a single bed, a very old kettle, a tv that didn't work and a mouldy shower room. Honestly, if you want a place to put your head down, there are better options in Birmingham that are as low in cost.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank charliea444
Susan C, Manager at Paragon Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I'm very sorry your stay wasn't what you expected, your feedback has been relayed to the appropriate departments in order for our team to address the problems you encountered as a priority.

The hotel is in the process of having a refrubishment on the bedrooms but unfortunatley this will take time and we are reflecting out standard of bedroom in the current prices we charge.

kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

The reception staff are lovely and helpful. The bar staff are great. The service man was helpful .
The rooms are the worst I have ever seen ( room on the 2nd floor 224 ) please look at the shower it was disgusting and I mean it.
My window I'm the room was cracked / the mattress was wafer thin : the pillows were as thin as well) but the room was just dirty / it needs a complete overall - I watched the poor receptionist manager fend off complaints one after the other from guests in the morning ; and I give her credit she was polite and acted as if no one else had ever complained before.
Why did I stay there ? Well as soon as I saw my room I tried to change it and begged to pay extra for a larger room or any other room but I was told ALL the rooms were taken it was late and I was tied ( the NEC had several shows on and several coach loads of unsuspecting poor tourists from China had just been led to their hovels - I cannot imagine what they thought) .

The food that evening in the bar -steak and chips to be fair was ok I had no complaints ) the breakfast was the worst I have ever seen - scramble eggs looked like it was made in a cement mixer it was solid and just a single colour you could mistake it for mash potatoes .... Someone had thrown it up outside the hotel , so I was pleased I never tasted it.
The website is possibly the most miss leading website in the world / DO NOT stay here trust me.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

Probably the worst hotel I've EVER stayed in. I booked a 'single room' which turned out to be a box room at the back of the hotel. It stank of smoke even though the hotel apparently adhears to a strictly 'no smoking' policy. There was a fire alarm at 3am, and although granted this was not the hotel's fault, we were left waiting uninformed for 1hr. My box room 'ran out of water' in the bathroom both mornings I was there, even though this 'hardly ever happens'. After standing shivering in my room with wet hair (the shower had worked long enough to do this) for 10 mins, I was given a key so I could run outside in my pyjamas and upstairs to another room with an equally crap shower, but at least with running water...
Basically, this hotel has zero value for money and is placed in a rough location in Birmingham (definitely not close to the station)- there are MUCH nicer places in the city centre so just don't even bother thinking about staying here!!

1 Thank acetrav

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed here last minute on a Saturday night; we booked through booking.com and just wanted a place to rest out heads after a night out. What an AWFUL place to stay, how they call themselves a hotel is unbelievable. Don't stay here because...

1. The car parking is in a derelict warehouse (not secured and across the road from the hotel).
2. The rooms are old and dated and stink of stale urine and smoke.
3. The lighting in the bedroom is non-existent.
4. The front of house manager doesn't seem to care about any complaint you make and fobs you off.
5. There is 1 plug socket per room for you to use which isn't enough.
6. There is mould all in the bath/shower and the shower curtains are old and stink.
7. The rooms aren't cleaned properly (we had a tray of cheesy chips in one of our drawers).
8. The carpet in the rooms are sticky.
9. No plugs for the sink so you can't fill the basin.
10. Blocked plug hole in the bath so water fills up and hair is everywhere.
11. Hardly anything for breakfast, once the food has gone it doesn't get topped up.

I could go on and on. It is unacceptable for a hotel of that size and I have never stayed in such a disgusting, down trodden hotel in all my life. I think it depends what floor you are allocated as I was told floors 1 and 2 are the more modern cleaner, up to date rooms. We had to be moved rooms twice as the first room had a tray of cheesy chips left in a drawer and it smelt of wee and the hair dryer melted when I used it. The second room absolutely stuck of smoke and finally the third room was ok but we had an hour to get ready to go out after all of the hassle so we just stuck with it. The only good thing about anyone of this was the lovely young lady on reception who tried to help us but the front of house service manager just didn't seem to care. Avoid this hotel at all costs. I wouldn't stay here again if it was free!!! Very poor!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

I have to say I have stayed in hotels of all levels all over the world but this is the biggest dump I have ever stayed. It's dark dingy and dirty with cramped rooms and rude staff. The website is mis leading and tantamount to fraud. Avoid this place at all costs.

1 Thank Bhewettm

Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

We had our sons wedding at the hotel this weekend. The room was set out beautifully for the ceremony, reception and evening party and I was really pleased that we had chosen this venue for the wedding. First impression was that it had the 'wow 'factor and our guests seemed suitably impressed. BUT and yes there is a but, when it came to checking in to rooms the chaos began.

When we booked the venue we were told that we would be allocated rooms on the first and second floors which were allegedly the refurbished floors of the hotel. On trying to check in, wedding guests were being asked to go away and come back in an hour as no rooms were ready even though other guests seemed to be checking in without any problems. I didn't worry too much at that point because I thought it was because we had been allocated specific rooms and that it was these rooms that weren't ready. However, when guests did finally check in some (including myself and my husband) were told that there were no rooms left on the first and second floors and we were given rooms on the the third floor. Given that on the booking confirmation slip it said we had a superior double room I was expecting it to be reasonably nice - how wrong I was. Firstly, half the lights in the room didn't work, which given the room was dull anyway just made things worse. Secondly, we had been given one half of an inter-connecting room, the other half of which was occupied by a group of young men on a stag do, and the noise through the interconnecting door was awful (ended up calling security at 4am to ask the lads to keep it down - which to give credit where it is due, did the trick - I just wish I had done that a few hours earlier! The bathroom was adequate, it had a shower that worked and was reasonably clean compared to some of the other feedback I got from my other guests. The room itself smelt musty and old. I was a bit disappointed but didn't want this to spoil the occasion because at the end of the day all we wanted the room for was to sleep after the wedding (didn't know at the time that i was going to be kept awake by rowdy neighbours ). I just put it down to the fact that we were in the part of the hotel that had not been refurbished and hopefully the rest of our guests had better rooms than ours. Sadly that was not the case. On talking to other guests their rooms were dirty, smelt damp, one family asked to be reallocated because the room stunk of cigarettes and then the new room wasn't much better but as they had two young children they just accepted it because they didn't want the hassle of carting all their luggage around from one room to another. The stories were similar from the other guests ( who were mostly on the first and second floors) and given that between us we had in excess of 30 rooms booked this can't be just a one-off unfortunate experience. It's a real shame, I felt embarrassed that members of our party had had such a negative experience -I wasn't expecting luxury but I did expect a clean environment to shower and to sleep. This was sadly lacking. The scores I have given are for the standard of accommodation. The majority of the staff on duty were very polite and helpful and this is reflected in the higher score for service.

Room Tip: Have your function here as it is an excellent venue for a special occasion and the events staff are...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo