“Never again”

Ranked #64 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Manchester
“Never again”
Reviewed 26 May 2011

The Thistle is well located in the city centre and, for a night, survivable. I do hear that some of the rooms are being refurbished (not sure if this is true), but I had such a poor experience that I actually left the same night I checked in. The room (and bedding in particular) was just too grubby. The furniture is cheap and the carpets are worn. The net curtains were grey! I actually moved to the Holiday Inn Express which although cheaper and with less facilities was clean and a much better experience.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Bois Colombes, France
Reviewed 26 May 2011

Really average hotel, far away from everything (there's nothing around). The rooms are grey like everything in the hotel. Avoid the rooms on the street side , they can be very nosiy because the windows don't always shut well. The bathroom was not very clean and the smell in it was awful. Apart from the food at the restaurant which was good , I'll forget that hotel very quickly.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
East Midlands
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I stayed at this hotel last weekend for one night, having stayed there a few years ago. It was excellent value for money and exactly what I'd expect from a 3 star hotel. Rooms were clean if a little dated and tired. View wasn't the best from the bedroom but that wasn't an issue! And it's absolute nonsense to say its not safe to walk back to this hotel after dark. I walked back at 2am and didn't encounter any problems. The walk to the city centre via Colmore Row is actually very pleasant!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James O
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2011

The Thistle Hotel was located a little remotely at the North end of Birmingham. While the area seems a bit deserted, it is just a short walk into town, to the Snow Hill Train Station, or north to shops and restaurants along...
The hotel has a large foyer area, which I enjoyed whilst waiting for my room to be cleaned, 1 hour after the advertised check-in time! Indeed, the cleaners at the hotel seemed to work on a very strange system and quite often I would return to the hotel in the afternoon and have to wait until they got to my room. But that was really the only issue with the Thistle.
I would say that my room was cosy – not huge, but an economic use of space and there was enough room to spread out. There were good facilities included – tea/coffee and kettle, tv, desk, iron and ironing board and a clean bathroom with a bath and shower.
When I first got there, I thought the Thistle might be a little too remote, but once I got to know the lay of the land, I realised it was fine. If you are travelling further than walking distance, there is a large bus stop just around the corner, or if you have your own car there is parking on site.
The Thistle was a good, economical, comfy place to stay. By no means was it the best hotel I’ve stayed in, but it was a very good option and certainly comfortable for a weeks stay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
tthistle, Owner at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments and compliments about our hotel. All feedback is greatly received as we are continuously striving to improve all aspects of the hotels offerings and making your stay with us as enjoyable as possible.
Reviewed 6 April 2011

Hotel was very good value, the rooms were well laid out with more than enough space. Parking was literally by the door and a reasonable price for the location. While the walls did sound thin when we arrived we heard no noise all night.

I would also disagree with comments made about the road noise or area both were absolutely fine for us. We were next to the road and traveled to the hotel late at night from Snow Hill.

The only negatives I can find was the maid trying to make the room up far before check out and the price of the breakfast, you're in the middle of the city and can get better value.

• Stayed March 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for this really positive feedback, we are delighted you enjoyed you stay and hope to welcome you back again soon.
Bootle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Reading the reviews here, you'd expect this place to be hell on earth. But most of the reported problems seem to be because it's in Birmingham. People don't like the view - but what do you expect? To paraphrase the immortal Basil Fawlty, you will not see herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain - it's in Birmingham, so you get a dual carriageway or a multi-storey car park. And it's important to know that it's a 3 star hotel while most other Thistles are 4 star. So it is less plush.

So how was the place? It's clean, and the front desk service is courteous. The public areas have been refurbished in Thistle's current house style, but our room was still in the old style. Everything (again) was clean and not too worn. The mattress was firm (if a little lumpy in places) and a standard double size. Given that we have a kingsize bed at home, it was a bit cramped and it didn't help us to sleep too well. Neither did the dustcart coming to empty the bins at 6.30 am on a Sunday morning. The bathroom is fine but shower pressure isn't much more than adequate.

The breakfast is up to the usual Thistle standard.

All in all, better than adequate. It's not great, and it's not glamorous - but it's a rather old busines hotel in Birmingham. What would you expect?

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fawkescat
Leeds
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Had booked this hotel because of close proximity to the Children's hospital. Was there for exam, and was hopping to have a comfortable quiet night the day before. Had mentioned about late arrival. When got to the hotel, was told that they had not received my booking I did online through Thistle hotels own website. This was an absolute gimmick, as my advance booking payment was already taken out of my debit card, and I had subsequently received two emails confirming my stay at the hotel. At 8 pm, when I arrived to check in, was told that I have to be moved to a different hotel, a couple of miles away. After a lot of discussion, I was dumped in a small poorly maintained room facing the main road, which was very badly insulated. This kept me awake all night, due to the constant noise from the traffic. The next day after complaining about the noise, was moved to a room back facing the hotel which was marginally better but facing the NCP car park. The room in itself was still very old and Spartan.

After, my stay, I sent several emails to the general manager of Thistle, explaining my concerns. I was hopping at least, out of courtesy to get a reply to this effect, but it has been over two weeks and there has been not even an acknowledgement. This just goes to show, what poor customer service relationship Thistle hotels in general have, as they do not even value customer care. My experience with Thistle Birmingham, and the poor customer service from Thistle hotels in general, would make me sceptical in staying in any Thistle hotel in the country.

Room Tip: Thistle hotels..Poor customer Service!!!