“Saturday night stay for a concert”

The Royal Angus Hotel
Ranked #56 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Saturday night stay for a concert”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Stayed for one night 26/01/13 on a deal price of £42.50 per room including B'fast ( 2 adults) with our friends who also had one room (2 adults) on the same deal.

Staff very friendly and very accommodating, Rooms were clean and tidy and Breakfast was very good.

Stayed the night as we were watching an Eagles tribute band at the town hall ( ten minute walk away) and at this rate per night it was easier to stay over.

Used the bar prior to and at the end of our eveing out and again staff weree very friendly and accommodating and prices were not too bad given the it was a hotel and in the centre of B'ham

Room Tip: we had a room at the back whiched overlooked the multistory car park next to the Childrens hospital...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

Never stopped in a Thistle Hotel before, and as it's a chain hotel you never expect too much. Well stop! I stayed one night in this hotel because we were having a night out in Birmingham. It's a 7 minute walk from the City Centre. We arrived, reception staff were excellent. After 10 minutes in our room we received a call from reception asking whether everything was ok with the room. I have never experienced this in a big hotel before. It's a nice touch. The room was small, a double, but was clean, everything worked , nice toiletries and overlooking a lovely church. Bar staff were also excellent and very friendly. We did not have breakfast, because there is a wetherspoons close by, but I would actually struggle to give a negative for this hotel. Maybe for me the room was a bit too warm! The price was excellent for the nights stay and I would absolutely stay here again. Even though it is on a main road, it was quiet and we got a great night's sleep. Great value and the staff make it what it is.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
stoke on trent
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We recently stayed here initially staying for 1 night but stayed for 2 due to severe weather , we had been to the children's hospital with my grandson , I can only praise this hotel nothing was too much trouble every single member of staff were so happy and nothing was too much trouble for them they are a credit to the thistle , the hotel is spotless clean and on the first night we were upgraded to the Edgbaston suite ,We were not due to stay another night but on returning to our car at 7pm after a day at the hospital and snowing very heavily Dean the hotel manager restored my faith in humans and offered us a room for my daughter grandson and myself at a very reasonable rate which we could of cried not having to drive back to stoke in a blizzard with a child who will need a heart transplant before he is 5 years old , Thank you Dean and all your staff from the bottom of our hearts for making our stay at the Thistle so welcoming .

• Stayed January 2013
newcastle
Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

Travelling on business is never as comfortable as pleasure but I am a big fan of a quiet clean room with few mod cons. I have had many a pleasant stay in a travelodge, Ibis, premier inn. That's why this thistle was disappointing. Dusty single room, they couldn't find my reservation initially, or the paperwork to say that work will be paying. They wanted me to pay in advance.
In true January style I am trying to eat healthy! No chance here. I arrived at 8pm and there was very little food available. Just the 24 hour food a porter can serve, sandwiches, cheeseboard and curry! So no chance of a green salad and an omelette then! I decided to skip the nasty food cals, have a strong diet g& t, my emergency fruit bar and an early night. Off somewhere else for ham & scrambled eggs in the morning!

• Stayed January 2013

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2013

The hotel is located on the inner ring road offering great views of St Chads which is a nice church but not as spectacular as the cathedral in the city centre. An easy walk into the city centre which has improved dramatically over the years. Although car parking is next door it is a bit grim but isn't the hotels fault.
Excellent service, especially considering the hotel was hosting a number of Christmas parties the staff went out of their way to accommodate us for dinner. Food was good too.
Purpose of the visit was to see the German Christmas market which was excellent, highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I have stayed here on a number of occasions as it is very conveniently located for a regular meeting-venue. The food is very good but the hotel always disappoints. The rooms are very often cold and this trip was no exception. There was an early-morning fire alarm but the hotel staff and guests handled the situation well, although the hotel fire-marshall was not as commanding as I would expect. Foil blankets were produced for babies and children, which were vital as we stood outside in the cold for 45 minutes. As the fire was in the kitchen, there was no breakfast but staff did provide fruit and yoghurt to send us on our way.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Ystrad Mynach
Reviewed 14 January 2013

we only spent one night at the hotel, but it was very good. Had to stay as our granddaughter was in the Children's Hospital ( 250 yards away). Room Clean and had everything you would get in a 4 star room. Bar and restaurant were very quiet, which is normal in a city centre hotel on a saturday night. Bar man very friendly and good service given. Food was better than i expected it to be. Waitres good. Breakfast was buffet style and good. I would stay here agian, but hopefully for a differant reason.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2013
Dear Simon

Thank you so much for offering a positive review following your recent stay at the hotel.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and I am specifically pleased to read about your breakfast.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards