“GREAT VALUE”

The Royal Angus Hotel
Ranked #68 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed in The Royal Angus during February and found the stay very good, the staff on the reception area were extremely friendly and helpful and we would recommend this hotel to others, we also found the location was great for the city centre. I would like to add that it was a promotion time when we stayed so the value was extremely good from this point of view.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank burtonraquet
There are newer reviews for The Royal Angus Hotel

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stayed for 1 night whilst my son was at Birmingham Children's Hospital.
Greated by a friendly receptionist who was very helpful.
Was given a disability access room with 2 double beds. Clean & comfortable. Did the job!
Breakfast was a buffet but very tasty and lots of choice.
If I wanted to be close to the hospital then I would stay here again but if you want to be closer o the centre then I'd probably choose somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Was allocated this hotel by my company. It is a typical city centre hotel, 5-10 minutes taxi ride away from Birmingham New St. or a comfortable 10-15 minute walk with an overnight bag. Arrived late evening, however check in was swift and friendly. Double room was adequately spacious and very clean,particularly the bathroom. Towels soft and fluffy. Had everything you would normally find, toiletries,tea and coffee etc. No air conditioning though, just an electric radiator. It was still quite chilly but the radiator did take the chill off. The bed was extremely comfortable with crisp linen and plump pillows.
Self service buffet style breakfast was good with the usual selection of cereals,porridge,pastries and of course the hot grill. Tea,coffee,water and juice also available.
The staff are friendly, welcoming and very helpful. A good all round no frills hotel.
My only complaint is that my room faced onto St Chads/Queensway and it was very noisy! Take earplugs just in case you can't get a quieter room! Would be happy to stay here on business again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, not facing onto Queensway!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The restaurant has a limited menu (only 3 options for each course), the food was Luke warm, under cooked and the chicken breast wore a leather jacket. And a glass of house wine was £8:50!

Lunch the following day was even worse. The lamb couldn't be cut with standard cutlery and as micro chainsaws haven't been invented yet, whole dinners were wasted. The soup and dessert selection were the left overs from the previous evening (so the very limited menu is repeated the following day).

The conference rooms are thinly partitioned and noise from other delegates penetrates easily thus creating significant disturbance.
During our mid week stay, the hotel hosted an evening disco for one group of guests that went on until 1:30am. The music could be clearly heard on all floors of the hotel (even on the top floor). The managers seemed to think this was acceptable and were unsympathetic when guests complained. Their 'events manager' was unavailable for the duration of our stay. I could list further complaints, but I'm sure you get the picture.

Overall, a bad experience, very expensive and inattentive staff.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Easily accessible from Snow Hill station (about a 5 minute walk). I came from New street station, and it is hard to find your way from Moor street or New street without a map, both about 15/20 minute walk away. Apparently someone got a cab from New street station to the hotel for £6.

Receptionists are very cheery and helpful. The room was booked on my behalf, and check in was very straightforward and easy despite that.

My room was a decent size for a single room. I got a room with the more modern décor, which luckily I prefer, room 440. The Wifi was free, and extremely easy to access. My working desk had more than enough space for my laptop, a4 folder, drink etc. I also had a little table with a separate chair than the one at the desk. The TV was nice and big, but the picture was a bit fuzzy compared to my TV at home, almost as if it was still an analogue signal.

The bed was comfy, with sufficient pillows and cushions.

The panel on the bath was tatty and needed changing, but apart from that the bathroom was clean, with a complimentary shower cap, shower gel, shampoo and soap.

The cleanliness was good, and I have no complains about the room itself.

As I was there on business, I had my meals and service/tray charges paid for me. However, I did feel as if the prices were excessive. My pizza for dinner was approximately £12, and it states 'Chicago town pizza stuffed crust pizza', and it literally was. I love Chicago town pizza, so its not a problem, but it definitely is not made in the hotel (they do add their own toppings), and it is expensive considering how much it cost them to buy. Other meals included a range of burgers, pasta dishes and salad along with a few others. Breakfast I had delivered to my room, so I am not sure how it is served in the restaurant, but I filled out a little form about what I wanted, and left it on my door handle. I got a decent amount of the items I ordered, except I was given fried instead of scrambled eggs :( The quality of food was good, but prices were excessive, and the room service charge was £5 a go.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RSOConnor
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I have stayed in Birmingham before, in the Millennium Hotel - The Copthorne. That hotel was OK, but dated considering it's expense. This hotel, the Thistle Royal Angus was much better.

Decor was a mixture of modern and "vintage". Front desk was very polite, welcoming and helpful. Room was modern and clean. Hotel seemed quieter than other city centre hotels I've stayed in. Best bit - breakfast was an absolute bargain at just £6.50 for a full continental/English breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The hotel was great - clean and tidy, all members of staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were well appointed and comfortable. Breakfast was very good - self serve buffet. It is worth noting the hotel is a 25 minute walk from Broad Street (the main bar area), and a ten minute walk to the closest shops, so not ideal for a night out. There are cheaper, closer hotels available.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends