“Had a hard time choosing Average or Good”

The Royal Angus Hotel
Ranked #68 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Myself and my partner Ian had booked the Thistle hotel as part of a groupon deal for two nights with breakfast and tickets to Cadbury world.
The downside realising after I booked (My fault) that we then had to pay for parking. Staying more than two nights could work out expensive, especially if you wanted to use your car. We arrived Sunday around 14:00 and Left Tuesday at 10:15. We did get a discount for staying at the hotel, so total cost 24:55p
On arrival which was after 14:00 we checked in, we had no room allocated to us, after a lengthy phone call we were given a room 602. I did not find this an issue, yet did wonder why a room was not already allocated.
The room was clean and tidy, newly decorated probably this year, bathroom also clean. Tea bags, coffee sachets and mini milk cartons available oh and mini biccies. There is never enough milk in those things though.
Looked out of the window and realised we were on the main road, with the underpass as well.
We looked at the restaurant menu and decided to head out for a meal.. a burger and chips was a silly price.
Brilliant Weather spoons (Square peg) a short walk plenty of room and good food.
Now to more of a review:
Staff:
The staff were brilliant, OK a room was not allocated on arrival yet the lady on reception was polite helpful wore a smile and was very receptive.
All the staff were the same , each morning we met the chambermaids and they all welcomed us with a good morning. The restaurant staff also wore a smile, Maria greeted us on day one, showed us to our table, supplied us with tea and juice and advised us on the buffet. On day two she remembered us and we had a lovely conversation, even though she kept on working. Maria stood out and was a real asset, nothing was too much trouble I am also saying that from an observers point of view, seeing her with other guests.
The hotel itself was well laid out, clean and tidy, I did notice a number of conference rooms. When we left on the Tuesday a few of these were being used.
Hotel Location:
Our room was at the front, on the main road, I am not a good sleeper at the best of times, so with the traffic and sirens of the ambulance (I guess) and the police cars, also, I am not sure what, road sweepers or something inside the hotel at around 4am, no sleep was had. I could have asked, to see if there was a quieter room for the second night, yet we went out for the day and on arrival back it was not really feasible - so my choice. My partner who does sleep well had no issues with the noise.
Would I return, maybe if I could be guaranteed a quite room, and maybe also cheaper parking as I would like to visit the surrounding area.
One other mini negative, the teabags and milk were not topped up on day two...

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if like me you are a light sleeper, I was at the front 602. faci...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jacquimass
There are newer reviews for The Royal Angus Hotel

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I went to this hotel via a package deal for a hen weekend. I wasn't expecting much to be honest, as the cost for the whole package was very cheap. We arrived at the hotel at 12 noon, rooms were not due to be ready until 2/3, but they had very kindly made one room up for us to store our bags and get changed. We needed a room for 14 of us to change for our afternoon activity and they had given us a family room which gave us plenty of space. The staff were extremely helpful, they could not do enough for us, and in particular the young ladies on reception were absolute stars! The hotel was clean and comfortable, easy to get around with excellent directions and although there were at least two other hen parties on site we got a good night's sleep. Each time we went out we asked the receptionists if they could call taxis for us, and they did, they were very helpful and were constantly asking if there was anything we needed any help with! Personally I think the hotel need to give them a raise, you do not want to lose such dedicated staff who really care about their customers! The breakfast in the morning was absolutely delicious and plentiful, there was the usual fresh fruit, continental choices with croissants, a full English and toast available. You could also order other items like kippers should you want them. The full English was help yourself, but it was very hot and was topped up constantly! The staff were efficient, helpful and made sure you had everything you wanted, including unlimited tea and coffee. The only fault I could find with this hotel was how hot it got. Might be worthwhile getting air conditioning or putting fans in each room as it is not possible to leave windows open at the front of the hotel because of the traffic and sirens from the emergency services. There was a fan in one of the 7 rooms we had, and the young ladies in there very kindly gave it to us to use so we didn't have to start chasing around for one at 2 in the morning! Excellent stay and would not hesitate to go back again!

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel are noisy and if you want your window open you would not be able...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sharon M
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The highlight of the hotel was the staff. From the receptionist to the staff in the restaurant everyone was polite and very helpful. We got lost trying to find the hotel on foot as it is tucked out of the way in a business area. The room was quite small and very functional rather than smart. The bathroom was a little tired. The breakfast was ok. The weakest aspect was the room service. We only wanted a sandwich and a drink but the sandwiches sounded unappetising. Also, the tray charge of £5 meant that we would be paying more than £10 for a cheese sandwich. When I queried this I was told I could collect the sandwich from the second floor restaurant. We decided to go elsewhere for our sandwiches. Overall, the hotel was acceptable for the price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan0955
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two days with work.

Pros : convenient to office (snow hill), reasonable value for money, restaurant offer for breakfast at the weekends. £6.50. Room comfortable and clean, bed comfy.

Cons: not the quietest location traffic wise (but I knew that going in) standard breakfast prices a little steep in my view.

All in all a comfortable enough stay and I'd probably come here again if I wanted a reasonably priced stay for a night or two.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Worthybrother47
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Spotlessly clean room. Comfortable bed. Friendly, helpful staff. Fantastic 'lazy Sunday' deal which included a complimentary bottle of chilled wine in the room, breakfast in bed at no extra cost and a late check out all for an astonishing £64! Highly recommend this hotel and would definately stay again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PipnBri
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed with a large group of girls as part of a hen group. Upon arriving, the receptionist was very friendly and we were able to have a laugh with her throughout our stay. The hotel smelt very pleasant when arriving. I stayed on the fifth floor in a twin room with me, my mom and my sister and I found that even though the room was for two people it easily fit three in so I was confused to see reviews about rooms being too small, we had plenty of space! There was plenty of tea, coffee and sugar for us all. The air con was wonderful so we were nice and cool. One of our keys wasn't working on the door but fortunately we had a second key. When we went down for lunch, there was a large convention and the hotel was full of teenage boys - the smell was extremely unpleasant however we were told that whoever had booked the convention only booked for a small amount and around 500 ended up turning up. Hotel staff did their best to divert the people away from eating areas due to the smell. Lunch was delicious; I had prawn linguine with garlic bread and it was really tasty and filling. They had Ben and Jerry's for desert; a large selection of flavours which I was particularly happy about, haha. The waitress serving us was very timid and shy but she was fairly new and was really kind and understanding, especially when one meal had not arrived for half an hour, she was quick to resolve this issue. On the night, I phoned room service to ask for an extra duvet and was told it would be brought up right away by a woman on the phone. I waited over half an hour and still no duvet so I rang again and a man answered. He apologised multiple times saying the woman hadn't put through my request and delivered a duvet as soon as he came off the phone to me. Wifi was really fast and easy to connect to. We did ask room service if they had any HDMI cables so I could connect my laptop to the TV to watch a film but they had none available, however this wasn't the end of the world. Breakfast was really tasty and there was plenty of selection; hot food, fruit, toast, cereal etc. Overall a very pleasant stay, thanks Thistle! I also spoke with Laura who works at the hotel and asked about getting a job there and she was very friendly and said she would get me an interview. Bonus!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Me and my partner had done a groupon deal with a stay at the hotel plus tickets to cadbury world. Rebecca sorted us out straight away giving us an amazing room and after we was fuss pots about changing the time we went she sorted it out straight away! Breakfast was yum and the room was great and clean!

• Stayed: June 2014