“Nice hotel”

The Royal Angus Hotel
Ranked #70 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 1 September 2014

The hotel receptionist when we got there was lovely and our room was very clean. We stopped there as it was my birthday and we was going for drinks in Birmingham. We also went to the bar where the bar staff was very nice.
BUT!! There was a big let down for us. we never got to sleep till abut 4 am as we had a really good night out dancing etc, to then be woken up at 7.30 am 3 and 1/2 hours sleep by cleaners banging every hotel room on our floor every 5 minutes doors banging shut and opening again. also could here them upstairs banging the doors etc. I think on a Sunday morning the last thing you want to here is doors banging every 5 minutes.

Breakfast was ok could not eat the eggs as was not cooked properly whites where still clear.

apart from that nice hotel

1  Thank Lyndsay S

Reviewed 31 August 2014

Stayed here on 30th August 2014. Had good thoughts about this wowcher and staying at the Royal Angus Hotel. What sold it to us was this is a Thistle hotel of which I am a member of their loyalty scheme. Arrived after negotiating much traffic due to the tunnel closures - how long does it take to update the tunnels guys? Have you seen the Great Escape!!! Jeez! Car park leads right into the Thistle via a walkway. Room excellent but a tad noisy as we were on the front near the main A38. Decided to eat here as not too many restaurants available within walking distance and with all the road works was rather dead and a bit spooky to be walking around at night. Here is where the night goes a little wrong. We had a prawn salad starter which was lovely but the main courses were a bit lacking in imagination. Ended up ordering the classic burger just as a filler because nothing else remotely interested me food wise. I am not a burger eater either, but hey ho, when in errrr Birmingham and all that. I must say this ranks as the worst burger I have had the displeasure to taste - burger was dry, overcooked and tasteless - basically inedible. We ordered a side of onion rings for £1 and they almost needed a wheelbarrow to bring them in there was so many - too many! The other thing was the air con was on too low so the food went cold very quickly!! Breakfast was a buffet but again the air con sent the food cold quickly. The final faux pas was the girl who served the tea, she brought it in a mug but was holding it with her hand over the top of the mug!!!! What made it worse was as she walked away she squeezed her nose and rubbed her hand over her face. Needless to say, the tea went untouched. So Mr Thistle, here you have a loyalty customer writing a review of my experience. I think you need to look at the hygiene standards of someone who was not a new recruit and who wears a faux tattoo of a glove over her left hand. Overall, the accommodation was good but was let down by the food, air con and training of certain staff. Should I stay with the loyalty scheme???

Room Tip: The front of the hotel overlooks the A38 which despite the room being refurbished, had little in the...
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed last month on business. Hotel easy to find with an ncp car park within walking distance.

Room was immaculately clean and ridiculously comfortable.

Hotel is right in the city centre so I walked into town on my initial evening to have something for dinner so I'm not sure what the hotel food was like.

However, I had an afternoon conference the next day and was able to take advantage of a late breakfast in bed which was plentiful and reasonably priced.

All staff were friendly and accommodating and more than helpful at giving me directions on how to find the location of my conference.

Would stay again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Room was fine, maybe a little on the small side, but clean. Not many coat hangers in wardrobe only about 5 which is not enough for 2 people. Al the staff from check in to dining/ bar staff were friendly & helpful. Would I stay there again, sure why not, no big complaints.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jtne16272
Reviewed 24 August 2014

we stayed saturday 23rd August 2014 - really good value for money, check in was easy and straight forward- nice room, 2nd floor where you can find the bar,restaurant, Tv area , was very good, great buzz and happy and friendly staff, i think there was a trainne on has he was being trainined by the manager who was so helpful to me and my wife and for the new bar man who served us very well. also the manager knew alot about the area as we asked for a good dance and drink and he directed us to Broad street but i think it was more of an 18-25 place to go but we had a lovely time. we saw the manger again in the morning who remembered us from the night before and he asked how are night was as he knew we was abit worse for ware in the morning , and got us some coffee and orange juice.

easy to get to broad street ( 10-15min) walk or you can get a taxi that the bar staff can order for you for about 5 pound to get to broad street. but like i said its more for 18-25 age group

Breakfast was good but glad it was included as its pricey for what you get.

check out was easy just drop are keys at reception as we paid for everything on arrival
car ppark abit pricey but that NCP not the hotel fualt.
i would stay again for longer next time so we can see all of Birmingham as we are from Manchester.

1  Thank Mike h
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The hotel is very convenient to the train station. The staff were friendly. The rooms could do with being renovated and walls are very thin. Unfortunately I would hear my neighbours full conversation. There was a humming noise coming from the hall that didn't stop. The restaurant was nice, food was ok.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We booked a stay at this hotel following an offer on Groupon for 2 nights and entry to Cadbury's World. When we arrived we had been allocated adjoining rooms as they hadn't any family rooms left. This actually worked out really well for us as we had 2 bathrooms!
The staff in the hotel were lovely from the reception staff to the restaurant staff at breakfast to the staff who cleaned the rooms (they are really keen!!).
The rooms are pretty basic but clean with a good supply of clean towels and complimentary toiletries. The shower wasn't fantastic as the water temperature was a bit up and down but by no means the worst hotel shower I've experienced.
The breakfast was amazing! One of the best hotel breakfasts I've ever had. Omelettes are made fresh for you should you want and there is plenty of freshly cooked and piping hot food available. Also a good selection of fresh fruit salad (not tinned as you often get in hotels), fresh bread, pastries etc. A great selection of fruit juices and fresh coffee/ tea etc. The staff were especially nice in here and couldn't do enough for us.
The hotel is situated in a good location, 5 mins walk from Sainsbury's local, Tesco express and a Weatherspoons.
Shame about the car park fees, £12 per night with the discount stamp given by the hotel but the hotel stay was cheap so you can't have it all ways.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family