“Disappointing...”

The Royal Angus Hotel
Ranked #68 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Thank God I was only at Thistle Birmingham City for just the one night, it wasn't right for me at all. I arrived at night and got a taxi from Digbeth Coach Station... definitely not a journey to be done on foot. Also, the hotel isn't in the easiest location to find if you aren't familiar with the city. It's really out of the way and not in the city centre as I had hoped. My friend and I went out to find somewhere to get something to eat and couldnt find any shops/takeaways places anywhere nearby. In fact, it almost felt deserted! We then decided to go back to the hotel and order room service instead.

We got the shock of our lives when we looked at the menu and saw the prices. Something as simple as an egg and cress sandwich? £5.95! A tuna and onion sandwich? £6.45! Daylight robbery. On top of that... there was a £5 tray charge. They're having a laugh! So we decided to venture up to the bar (which, to be fair was gorgeous) to try and get something to eat without having to pay a 'tray charge'. I had a very tasty ham and tomato sarnie with crisps and coleslaw along with a cup of coffee but ooops, the barman actually FORGOT to bring me my coffee!!! Luckily, he was very apologetic and I didn't have to pay for my missing cup of coffee.

Our room (520) was very small but clean. Bed was comfortable so no complaints there. However, what I would complain about is the fact the room had no fridge (I had brought snacks along with me that needed to go in a fridge), also the shower was very weak and piddly. Quite disappointing really....

If I'm ever back in Birmingham again I'll be looking to stay at a hotel actually IN the city centre. Unfortunately the Thistle City Birmingham just wasn't right for me :-(

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Royal Angus Hotel

Reviewed 10 April 2009

Stayed here recently while visiting friends in Birmingham, very impressed with Hotel from start to finish. Everyone was very friendly, efficent and everywhere was spotless, no reasons to complain at all. Would definatley recommend staying here if visiting the city.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
GMthistle, General Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2009

Hi

Thanks for your recent feed back; all constructive feedback is shared with the team so this is greatly appreciated.

Please let us know if you are back in Birmingham visiting friends again and I am sure we can look after you at the right rate.

Reviewed 30 March 2009

Stayed for just the one night, room was clean, not a massive room but fine as I did not spend much time in there. As meantioned on other reviews, the half price breakfast is still being offered when checking in. I found that on decaf coffee in my room, but they were quick to deliver some normal coffee.

Also as the clocks went forward that night, they did allow me to stay in the room an extra hour, which was very handy as it was a late night in Broad Street.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
GMthistle, General Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2009

Dear Sir

Great feedback!

Thanks for you time in reviewing the hotel and some of its services, your comments will be shared with the team.

Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 19 March 2009

A colleague and I stayed in two "standard single" rooms on the fourth floor which were, as mentioned in other reviews, a tad on the small side, but perfectly adequate for a person staying alone in the room. Bed and mattress were really comfortable - which is the main thing in my book! We had rooms at the back which are really lovely and quiet (as they face the car park rather than the ring-road.) We got a discount from reception for using the NCP car park directly behind the hotel.

The only quibbles I have are that the water was only hot in the morning... it was lukewarm in the evening, which isn't the best for a long relaxing soak after a hard day! The restaurant, bar and breakfast area are quite a long way from the central lift area, and include a small flight of stairs (with an industrial sized wheelchair lift). Oh. and if you want a top-up of coffee at breakfast (which is served at the table), be prepared to get up and physically ask the staff, as they were not particularly attentive on either morning we stayed. Funny - they were hyper-efficient in getting my room number from me, but then we seemed to become invisible!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
GMthistle, General Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2009

Hi

Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Thistle Birmingham City.

My sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service experienced during breakfast and for the problems with the hot water in the evening. All comments posted are shared with the team to ensure we improve the standard and offering.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 March 2009

A group of 10 of us have just returned from a long weekend in Birmingham staying at the Thistle. The room was clean and nicely decorated, the staff were friendly and helpful, and the breakfast is superb!

The hotel is also situated in an excellent location, definately recommended!

Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
GMthistle, General Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2009

Hi

Thank you for your postive feedback and for your recommendation. I have passed your comments onto the relevant departments.

We look forward to seeing you again here at Thistle Birmingham City

Billy Hughes

Reviewed 4 March 2009

I stayed one night on my own for business and I would have to say a big 'could do better' on this one. I chose it due to proximity to a meeting venue and I guess the central location explains their prices. The room (4th floor) was very small and smelled of smoke. It also had a charming view of the car park but I guess that's towns for you! Walls were paper thin so it was quite noisy. Tiny bathroom, chipped sink and wall tiles, scratchy towels. Carpet and furnishing a bit tired and grubby looking. I wouldn't do it again.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 February 2009

Went for a shopping weekend with a friend. Two nights with breakfast and dinner on first night - got a great deal.
Location is quite dismal - on the ring road, with only St Chad's standing out in the concrete jungle. Surprisingly, traffic noise was not a problem. Only 10 minute stroll into town.
All of the staff were pleasant and polite, with the exception of the sullen young man on reception - any activity was accompanied by a heavy sigh !!
Food was great and restaurant staff cheerful and helpful - particularly Yul and Miriam.
Bedroom spacious, clean and warm. Twin beds very comfortable. Bathroom very good with powerful shower.
We both enjoyed our stay and would happily return.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends