The Royal Angus Hotel
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
US$124
  • Pool
Bloc Hotel Birmingham(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$143
US$128
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
ibis Styles Birmingham Centre(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$117
US$97
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
US$61
US$59
US$180
US$164
All reviewscadbury worldcity centregroupon dealdrayton manorbusy roadsnow hill stationmin walkshort stayfull englishone night staywould stay againhotel barbreakfast was includedsaturday nightfamily roomtea and coffeeself service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Slightly out of date but not to the point of distraction. Happy to use it again. Rooms at the front face on to a busy road-a little bit noisy but it obviously quietens down at night.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
Reviewed 19 December 2010

I stayed at the Thistle with colleagues earlier this month despite some of the reviews being poor.
The hotel was fine, pretty much as you would expect from a big chain hotel. The staff were very friendly and efficient, they certainly provided a very warm welcome. The only downside was that the bar and restaurant were very cold. The windows and heating just couldn't cope with the very cold, on the second evening part of the lounge bar was closed.
I would still use the Thistle if staying in central Birmingham.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Booked the thistle hotel for a christmas party with friends, wasn't looking forward to it as it doesn't look too good from the outside but we went on a recommendation from a girl that had gone the previous year. When we arrived I was quie shocked you had to pay £1 just to hang your coat up! Having had reservations about going I was quite impressed with the inside, the bar and restaurant looked really nice. Well thats where it ends.... I ordered a round of drinks for me and my 3 friends and it came to £15.40 when I went to the bar an hour later the same round came to £19.80, I merely asked why there was a difference in price and was told I should be grateful I was under charged last time, there are ways and means of speaking to guests and the bar manager was very rude. I complained to the restaurant manager about the bar experience and was told he would never speak to a guest like that!!! So the customer is not always right then???? The meal was horribe, the starter was tiny and the main was a carvery, we got told off by the restaurant manager for going up for our meal and it was not our turn and we were told rather rudly top sit back down. Dessert was inedible. Then thge disco starts and within 20 mins the amp blows, we were then ushered into a private party and told to share thie disco, I don't think I would be too happy having paid for a private function and then told to share with a bunch of strangers!! The staff were rude and unhelpful, the place was cold and the food was horrible. For the price we could have gone somewhere a lot nicer!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2010

We stayed at the Thistle in Birmingham for 2 nights in November to start our Christmas shopping. I had found the deal on Last Minute's sale and managed to get the room for 2 nights for just £74. We didn't use any of the facilities including the restaurant but the room was clean, comfortable and had obviously just been redecorated making it more modern in style. It was approx 10 min walk to the city centre on the edge of the business area. Although the hotel did not have it's own parking there was a NCP car park next door with a discounted rate if you were staying at the hotel. The only grumble was the directions weren't great on their website but it's hardly worth the mention! We would happily return.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2010

We stayed for only one night in this hotel with a coach party. Accommodation and cleanliness was completely acceptable. The only thing that let this hotel down was the resturant. We had to order our choices from the menu before we went down to the restaurant and wer told to be there at 7pm sharp!!! We duly arrived, were shown to our table and waited and waited and waited.................... after 35 minutes we enquired why everyone else was now on main courses or desserts and we still hadnt received our starters. The waitress apologised and said it was the kitchen staffs fault. However when she returned 10 minutes later with our starters she apologised again and said SHE would buy us a round of drinks!!!! If she hadnt made the mistake why was she prepared to do this?? Breakfast was again a bit of a mess. It seemed as if they were not prepared for all the guests but they knew how many were booked in overnight!!!! We had to wait for eggs, fried potatoes and bread to arrive, and the worse thing of all when we sat down to eat it, it was barely warm. Just OK for an overnight stay but wouldnt return for any longer.

• Stayed: November 2010