“city centre hotel easy to access by car”

The Royal Angus Hotel
Ranked #72 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 27 February 2011

ideal for exploring city sights. however returning to hotel late at night can be disconcerting due to location. risk of being followed by intimerdating youths.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Reviewed 9 February 2011

Hotel was fine, good bed, good breakfast. Yes the view from the room was a bit grey but the staff seemed friendly and room was clean. It was ideal for me.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 February 2011

The welcome we got at check in was great Richard and Dean were really friendly and made a real effort to treat us as indervuduals and not just another guest the room was very clean and I had a great nights sleep the staff at breakfast were friendly and welcoming if you want a home from home hotel stay at Thistle Birmingham

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 6 February 2011

I was really looking forward to my stay in Birmingham. It is quite far from the city centre ( approx 15 min walk from New Street - definately not walkable after dark). My room was just awful to say the least.
It was overlooking the lovely NCP carpark to the rear of ther hotel, and came with the fantastic aroma of cigarette smoke and car fumes. Despite being a double room the bed was barely bigger than a single bed, thank goodness I wasnt travelling with my partner.
The bathroom was grotty, pretty disgusting with hairs etc in the bath. It just didnt feel clean.
The small blessing was that breakfast was fantastic, very tasty, a godd selection and warm.
Thank goodness I did not pay for this hotel myself, thankfully I can claim back the expenses. I definately would not reccommend this hotel, very dissappointing considering I have stayed in some very nice Thistle hotels.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I booked this hotel for a weekend getaway with my family (including five and one year old kids). Firstly, we were not given the room type we booked! We had booked a room with two double beds (and a cot considering the kids) and we ended up being given a room with two sinlgle beds and a bumpy sofa bed (a very cramped up room, not ideal for children)! This is despite calling previously to ensure we were going to get the room booked! When we complained, we were given a cold shrug, saying the hotel was fully booked! in other words, we did not get what we payed for. And why didnt anyone tell us what we had booked wasnt available? To top it up, they gave us a room just beside the lift (with most traffic). when I tried to explain, the chap did not understand that a room next to the lift naturally had the most traffic and noise, insisting that he had given us the best room! What insult and cheek. Suffice to say that we had a terrible night. My poor one year old was woken up by the noise at night and kept us awake. I can categorically say that this was my worst ever hotel stay (and we've been to lots)! No one with children should go to this hotel. The staff have no empathy or people skills. The guy that served us in particular, was clueless and cold. This was our first try with the Thistle brand and I am certain it will be our last.
Having said the above, I guess they tried to make things up giving us free breakfast (which was nice) and parking. The restaurant was cold but their staff were lovely.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2011

We got a special deal on the suite over the internet but it was not worth even the reduced price. The suite was at the front of the hotel so very noisy all night long with traffic noise. The room is next to the lift and we were kept awake from 10.30 pm to 3.00 am on Saturday niight with noisy people coming and going from a function on this floor. The bed was small and had the most uncomfortable mattress we have ever slept on with springs and hard buttons digging into you all night. The bathroom was small and the power shower had very little power. The furniture is plentiful but tired and dated. There is no TV in the lounge area. This is our first visit to a Thistle hotel and we are not impressed.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Staff very unfriendly and useless apart from Richard on Reception who was great.
Prior to stay, e-mailed hotel for a room on low floor which was not only ignored but hotel said they did not receive it.
Hotel not really in city centre location either.
Got upset tummy from their breakfast because the food was only luke warm even when fresh bacon was brought out. Staff ignored our complaint when we told them that we had been ill.
Don't bother with this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends