“Bad visit...bad faggots”

Ranked #120 of 2,380 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$4 - US$28
Cuisines: American, Mexican, British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Lord Clifden (UAB) is a true free house with a difference. Situated in the Jewellery Quarter, we are highlighted in both the CAMRA Good Beer Guide 2015 and the Good Pub Guide. In the last 3 years, we've received 5 Observer Monthly food awards; 2012 national runner up in the Observer Monthly food awards and regional winner for the Midlands. 2013 We repeated the success with another 2 'runners up' awards: 'Best Place to Drink' and 'Best Sunday Lunch' 2014 regional runners up for 'Best Place to Drink' & Best Sunday Lunch' In 2014, we were awarded 'Best Community Pub' for the West Midlands & Wales region in the Great British Pub Awards.
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

I've been coming here sporadically for a number of years now. A big factor in this is the food. However, I've not eaten there for well over a year until tonight and how things have changed.
The faggots I ordered were simply the worst faggots I've ever had anywhere...ever! I don't generally leave food on my plate but not only were these faggots rock hard, they were revolting. I couldn't finish them.
I was waiting for a member of staff to ask if our meals were OK but they never did.
In fairness this is a great pub and I can only hope this was a one off but these faggots were vile!

Chris W, Public Relations Manager at The Lord Clifden, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Hi Nick S,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of The Lord Clifden on Trip Advisor. We always value customer response and feedback, even those that do not always shine us in the best of light.

We're disappointed to hear you didn't enjoy your food & from your comments, can only apologise for your experience.

As a gesture of good will, we'd like to invite you back down at your nearest convenience to enjoy a complimentary meal.
Please email: socialmedia@thelordclifden.com to confirm & we'll be intouch to arrange.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Is my 3St. Visit to Lord Clifden, I be "Now" eat my Sunday Lunch (11,95£)... Superb....! I ate a la carte and was fabulous. .. very good New Pub Food with quality. .. the service the first time was rude, but the two last visit was very friendly. .. Congratulations.
Quality price - exellent, Nice selection of Beers.

Chris W, Public Relations Manager at The Lord Clifden, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Hi ibai i,

Thank you very much for the kind words & review - it's always appreciated from our customers.

We're really pleased you enjoyed the food & that the service this time matched your expected standards.
I shall pass the positive feedback to the staff & we look forward to your next visit.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 24 April 2014

The best thing about this pub is the beer garden (and the food!). I've been here loads of times and have in always enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. The best time to go is on a sunny afternoon to soak up the rays and have a game of ping pong with the locals. All of the food is delicious here...from the sandwiches to the salads, burgers or pies. I've never had a bad meal. Be sure to try the slush puppy cider with a dash of blackcurrant! Perfect!

Chris W, Public Relations Manager at The Lord Clifden, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Morning LittleOneWants

Really glad to hear you enjoyed the day with us & all ticked the box.

Will pass the comments onto the kitchen team - they'll be very happy with the positive feedback on the food.

Many thanks & look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Fantastic bar...old skool charm.... Great DJ .....great food...totally recommend ....just a
Great mix of old and new.....please go....and enjoy!!!!!

Chris W, Public Relations Manager at The Lord Clifden, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Hi mag54321

Thanks for the kind words & very pleased to know you enjoyed your visit.

Will pass this onto the management.

Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I've only ever come to The Lord Clifden in the past as part of the jazz festival, ale festival or for a general drink.

I was pleasantly surprised by range of food on offer and was able to enjoy a perfect catch-up in the large garden, sat in the sun, with several bottles of wine and brilliant food.

The only one compliant I could really talk about was the ping pong table. Due to the sun the beer garden was very full and whilst I can appreciate that the ping pong table is a cool feature, it was pretty annoying having people playing right next to you. But other than that, it was BLISS (once people stopped playing).

Morning 7507barr

Thanks for the review & feedback & happy to know the range of food & drink ticked the box.
Will pass comments onto the chef & kitchen team.

Ping Pong - it is a popular feature & we'll take on board your comments on its current position.