“Miss”

Pennyblacks
Ranked #614 of 2,251 Restaurants in Birmingham
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Pennyblacks is a lively, contemporary bar serving a wide range of wine, real ale and cider, along with a whole host of imaginative cocktails. With a live DJ from 8pm every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night, plus the biggest sports matches screened live, Pennyblacks is the perfect place to have fun with your mates. Hungry? Pennyblacks have you covered, with a tasty menu to tempt you from lite-bites and bar snacks, to pizzas, burgers and hotdogs galore!
“Miss”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

A group of 8 of us came here for a friends birthday and got off to a cracking start-attentive waitress who offered my friend a "birthday" cocktail so my friend asked if this was free and the waitress confirmed it was, when the bill came they had put the cocktail on the bill so we politely asked the waitress to remove it to which she denied ever saying it was free, the principle of this annoyed us so we asked to speak to the manager. She came out and said "right who wants to speak to me, whats the problem" my friend calmly explained the situation and she barked at her to "calm down" she then said she couldnt do anything and walked off while we were still speaking to her! A member of the group went to speak to her again and the manager called her "stupid" we told her that her attitude was unprofessional and she shrugged in our face and walked off again-will never return, average food and cocktails and shocking service! Judging by the other reviews we arent the only ones who have suffered poor service here, some people have had a good night but i guess it depends what staff is on when you go-the average main is 10 pounds plus and cocktails are 8 pounds which i appreciate is reasonable but its not the cheapest on the market so i wouldnt recommend taking the risk of falling prey to foul staff when there are so many other lovely eateries in the mailbox! Considering we spent over 120 pounds we expected much better service!

4 Thank NixSP

UK
“Average”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Very average.

Midweek with a group of colleagues visiting the area, needing somewhere to eat.

Food - OKish, but nothing special. Steak tough.
Beer - Not well kept, a bit flat and a bit cloudy.
Place - Virtually empty.
Staff - Pleasant and helpful.

• Visited February 2014
“Birthday Celebrations”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

a party of 13 of use dined here for a milestone birthday. firstyly the cons: seating arrangemnts were some a bit higgeled, ie uneven tables meaning evertime i touched my plate it rocked because it couldnt balance between the two mish matched surfaces. We were there for 3 hours and only approached twice to order drinks, otherwise we had to queue at the bar. I got served at 19:01 to be told the friday presecco offer finished at 19:00. I showed the time on my phone and explained we queued well before 7 but suppose rules are rules! the addidtion £25 gratuity they added to the £100 bill in big bold writing with the smallest text saying optional next to it. pros: the food was realy good, despite only having a simplistic bar menu the food has a gormet feel and look to it. for a bog standard burger it tasted great. they also allowed us to eat the birthday cake we had brought with us.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Brummie-Kim
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“BEST PLACE TO CELEBRATE”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Booked a table for 21 for my best friends Hen Party, and I have to say never usualy write these kind of things but is was the best food and service for such a large party I have ever had. The girls who served us one named Veronica were excellent so polite and friendly and were not fazed when we added on 6 additional starters half way through. All our food came together and was delish. Great price too. Atmosphere was great and the music had us dancing our socks off. Can't wait to go back.

Rianne March 2014

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Rianne0703
“Staff meal Christmas 2013”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I was disgusted by the attitude of the staff. Originally we booked for 21 to attend and paid a deposit. Well in advance of the lunch we finalised numbers to 17. However when we went to pay our bill they kept the deposit of 21 minus 17 people. Our total bill came to around £700. There was hardly anyone else in there. They were really rude about it. I will never go back there and neither will my colleagues. Next year it's back to Bar Estillio for us. In addition the service was poor in that they couldn't use their initiative in any shape or form. I was unpleasant and the competition are far better.

• Visited December 2013